Expired

Right to buy housing association petition

Found 21st Nov 2017
Hey everyone,

I’ve come across this petition as my parents are looking at buying their house.

The reason I placed it here is because it took me a while to actually find the petition and I’m hoping this helps someone who is in a similar situation.

Basically council tenants get a big discount if they want to purchase there house. I believe it’s 40% then 1% more every year they’ve lived in that house.

Housing association is anything between 9000 to 16000. Which is not a lot I comparison.

I’m hoping this helps someone

petition.parliament.uk/pet…025
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
People should not be allowed to deprive society of the tiny amount of social housing that remains.

Not signing.
mutley14 m ago

you seem to have a problem with me because i have money. i don't want to …you seem to have a problem with me because i have money. i don't want to talk to you any more as you are a nasty person.

No i have a problem with the fact you jump into every thread like loads a money ( harry enfied character) going look at me I'm rich then proceed to be clueless or endlessly contradict yourself while still reminding everyone your rich because you seem to think anyone cares\believes you
If I want to buy a house, I have to pay market value. How unfair is that?
mutley114 h, 47 m ago

you seem to have a problem with me because i have money. i don't want to …you seem to have a problem with me because i have money. i don't want to talk to you any more as you are a nasty person.

A lot of people have a problem with you. Even if you did have money, which I don't think anyone believes anyway, do you think you are the only person here that has money? I'm sure you're not. But I am sure that you are the only one who constantly bangs on about it, bringing it up at every possible opportunity. It's tiresome. You're tiresome.
46 Comments
People should not be allowed to deprive society of the tiny amount of social housing that remains.

Not signing.
As far as i understand, and i do not claim to be an expert on this. Housing Association are privately owned so they do not want to sell their properties off cheap. Therefore they want to restrict the compulsory purchase of their properties by their tenants.

Council properties are public owned, so no one cares about keeping them as no one benefits from their value since they are not privately owned. This is why you get a bigger discount for council properties.

Count yourself lucky that you live in a housing association property at all, otherwise you would pay a lot more rent if you had to rent privately.
It's certainly not 40% off for council tenants here, I think it used to be about 15-20% but now its a max of £8000.

32500608-hKpEp.jpg
mutley15 m ago

As far as i understand, and i do not claim to be an expert on this. …As far as i understand, and i do not claim to be an expert on this. Housing Association are privately owned so they do not want to sell their properties off cheap. Therefore they want to restrict the compulsory purchase of their properties by their tenants.Council properties are public owned, so no one cares about keeping them as no one benefits from their value since they are not privately owned. This is why you get a bigger discount for council properties.Count yourself lucky that you live in a housing association property at all, otherwise you would pay a lot more rent if you had to rent privately.

Your understanding is poor to say the least probably deliberately so and why don't you drop your rents if you're so rich
there are 2 elements here

1. get the Conservatives to do what they promised

2. give a hefty discount for renters to buy from private housing association landlords

for number 1, nobody smart expects politicians to keep their promises

for number 2, why should renters get a significant discount from a private company when renters with private landlords not in an association get squat? who benefits other than the tenant and why are they justified in a hefty discount?

i dont exactly agree with the council one, so no chance in me supporting it for private ones too. sorry.
Segata-Sanshiro1 m ago

Your understanding is poor to say the least probably deliberately so and …Your understanding is poor to say the least probably deliberately so and why don't you drop your rents if you're so rich

you seem to have a problem with me because i have money. i don't want to talk to you any more as you are a nasty person.
mutley14 m ago

No i have a problem with the fact you jump into every thread like loads a money ( harry enfied character) going look at me I'm rich then proceed to be clueless or endlessly contradict yourself while still reminding everyone your rich because you seem to think anyone cares\believes you
Segata-Sanshiro43 m ago

People should not be allowed to deprive society of the tiny amount of …People should not be allowed to deprive society of the tiny amount of social housing that remains.Not signing.

It was a great idea had they built more social houses as promised. Sadly gready landlords take advantage.
mutley118 m ago

As far as i understand, and i do not claim to be an expert on this. …As far as i understand, and i do not claim to be an expert on this. Housing Association are privately owned so they do not want to sell their properties off cheap. Therefore they want to restrict the compulsory purchase of their properties by their tenants.Council properties are public owned, so no one cares about keeping them as no one benefits from their value since they are not privately owned. This is why you get a bigger discount for council properties.Count yourself lucky that you live in a housing association property at all, otherwise you would pay a lot more rent if you had to rent privately.

I’ve read a couple of things saying they can refuse depending on the amount of housing around the area. They’ve lived in that house for 27 years
adamspencer9514 m ago

there are 2 elements here1. get the Conservatives to do what they …there are 2 elements here1. get the Conservatives to do what they promised2. give a hefty discount for renters to buy from private housing association landlordsfor number 1, nobody smart expects politicians to keep their promisesfor number 2, why should renters get a significant discount from a private company when renters with private landlords not in an association get squat? who benefits other than the tenant and why are they justified in a hefty discount?i dont exactly agree with the council one, so no chance in me supporting it for private ones too. sorry.

I don’t agree with how big the discount is, but I think they should be brought closer together
.MUFC.5 m ago

It was a great idea had they built more social houses as promised. Sadly …It was a great idea had they built more social houses as promised. Sadly gready landlords take advantage.

And the companies that sprang up in the 80s offering to help buy your council house un exchange for a cash sum and lies
Darzen22 m ago

It's certainly not 40% off for council tenants here, I think it used to be …It's certainly not 40% off for council tenants here, I think it used to be about 15-20% but now its a max of £8000.[Image]

32500924-YeT4K.jpg
19alexanderson914 m ago

I don’t agree with how big the discount is, but I think they should be b …I don’t agree with how big the discount is, but I think they should be brought closer together

then why isnt the petition to reduce council discounts?
adamspencer952 m ago

How do I know I didn’t make the petition
adamspencer953 m ago

I found that one on the off chance as I was looking into it for my parents so I thought I’d share it hoping it would help some people.
Darzen54 m ago

It's certainly not 40% off for council tenants here, I think it used to be …It's certainly not 40% off for council tenants here, I think it used to be about 15-20% but now its a max of £8000.[Image]

That's Wales,

England,
32501312-FTfaw.jpg
psychobitchfromhell42 m ago

Consider yourself lucky you were never vulnerable enough to be in social housing. Is that not isn't own blessing?
MSK.14 m ago

Consider yourself lucky you were never vulnerable enough to be in social …Consider yourself lucky you were never vulnerable enough to be in social housing. Is that not isn't own blessing?

It absolutely is. I do think right to buy is misguided though. Social housing should be for those who need it.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

It absolutely is. I do think right to buy is misguided though. Social …It absolutely is. I do think right to buy is misguided though. Social housing should be for those who need it.

Why should someone leave there home of 26 years though, there building new houses that get allocated to social housing
19alexanderson917 m ago

Why should someone leave there home of 26 years though, there building new …Why should someone leave there home of 26 years though, there building new houses that get allocated to social housing

Why should they? No one is throwing them out are they? They have the option to buy, why should they get a discount? Not like the builders are likely to give a discount on the new houses they are building are they?
These schemes were to offload older homes before they became an issue due to repair costs. Population decline meant they didn't need to build additional homes. There are plenty of homes out there but not where people want to live unfortunately.
I’m not getting into a debate with you everyone’s situation is different. I just thought I’d share it for people that maybe in the situation where they can buy that is all end of. Not saying they should get discount but council housing do and I know loads of people who buy them and sell them to there kids to make big profit.

New builds are over the odds anyway
The lack of social housing is a national disgrace, and the selling of council properties has been abused and is flawed. If any discount is going to be offered to council tenants then it should be in the form of money to be used solely as a desposit for a different property and the vacated council property being used by those that need it.
Blame good old Maggy she wanted shut of all social housing. Mind apparently its a law that goes back many years that council houses, more than 10 years old could be sold off
19alexanderson916 h, 41 m ago

Why should someone leave there home of 26 years though, there building new …Why should someone leave there home of 26 years though, there building new houses that get allocated to social housing

But if they are demolishing the home they would have a compulsory purchase order if they owned it anyway
19alexanderson916 h, 48 m ago

I’m not getting into a debate with you everyone’s situation is different. I …I’m not getting into a debate with you everyone’s situation is different. I just thought I’d share it for people that maybe in the situation where they can buy that is all end of. Not saying they should get discount but council housing do and I know loads of people who buy them and sell them to there kids to make big profit.New builds are over the odds anyway

I think you have just hit the nail on the head without realising it. Social housing is for people who for whatever reason cannot get on the property ladder. It should not be about profit. Equally, if your parents are in the position whereby they can afford to buy, they should not be in social housing. You are obviously talking about a family home here and heaven forbid someone should chuck your parents out. Thing is though, if the housing association were to sell that house to them at a discounted price, would that money be enough to build a like for like replacement for the next generation? Is that fair on the young couple now who are in the position your parents were 26 years ago?
A 26 year old house isn't suitable for new buyers as they're pretty crap for heat retention and the cost of heating is crippling to some people. What councils need to do is move away from standard houses and construct cost effective well insulated houses. I don't have an issue with building prefab houses quickly and at affordable prices to give people the homes they need rather than spending a lot more money on a house that is built to last 100 years.
kester7636 m ago

A 26 year old house isn't suitable for new buyers as they're pretty crap …A 26 year old house isn't suitable for new buyers as they're pretty crap for heat retention and the cost of heating is crippling to some people. What councils need to do is move away from standard houses and construct cost effective well insulated houses. I don't have an issue with building prefab houses quickly and at affordable prices to give people the homes they need rather than spending a lot more money on a house that is built to last 100 years.

have you not heard of insulation what do we do knock the majority of homes down and build new ones. Many council homes have thick walls, concrete floors and should now be insulated, doesn't mean they aren't efficient.
19alexanderson9114 h, 22 m ago

I’ve read a couple of things saying they can refuse depending on the a …I’ve read a couple of things saying they can refuse depending on the amount of housing around the area. They’ve lived in that house for 27 years

As I have stated earlier, housing association are not publicly owned. They are ran by the directors who are private individuals that get paid huge sums of money. Although they provide social housing, which is a good thing and i will never trash them for providing social housing as they serve a much needed purpose that the council is unable to provide, they are actually a money spinner.

We looked into setting up a housing association as it is a viable investment for private investors, and I know people who have set one up as a business. We dismissed the idea after looking into it as it involves a lot of paper work and is an area that we know very little about, except properties, so we would have to invest too much time looking into it, and for us, we believe there are easier ways to make money than setting up a housing association.

Therefore as a business, you can not afford to sell off your stock, otherwise you will end up with no business. I do not blame you for wanting to buy your home cheaply and benefit from the discount like council tenants, but this is why you will never get the properties as cheap as council properties.

I don't agree with the sale of social housing as it has caused the current housing shortage for those who are on low income and who really need help. If all social housing were sold, you would never have got your house in the first place to live in. People buy their homes then profit from it by selling it on to investors like me, but it is not right and i wish the government would stop allowing it completely and not sell them at all, not even at market price.
mutley114 h, 47 m ago

A lot of people have a problem with you. Even if you did have money, which I don't think anyone believes anyway, do you think you are the only person here that has money? I'm sure you're not. But I am sure that you are the only one who constantly bangs on about it, bringing it up at every possible opportunity. It's tiresome. You're tiresome.
mutley122 m ago

People buy their homes then profit from it by selling it on to investors …People buy their homes then profit from it by selling it on to investors like me, but it is not right and i wish the government would stop allowing it completely and not sell them at all, not even at market price.

I kinda wish it was true that you are a property investor because this comment would show people what you are. You say you don't think it's right that people are allowed to sell their homes to 'investors' like yourself, and wish the government would stop it.

So, if you feel so bad, why don't you stop buying them of your own volition? Because you can't help yourself. You see the chance to make easy money and even though you think it's wrong, you still do it. Pure, unadulterated greed.
Edited by: "deeky" 22nd Nov 2017
kester761 h, 5 m ago

A 26 year old house isn't suitable for new buyers as they're pretty crap …A 26 year old house isn't suitable for new buyers as they're pretty crap for heat retention and the cost of heating is crippling to some people. What councils need to do is move away from standard houses and construct cost effective well insulated houses. I don't have an issue with building prefab houses quickly and at affordable prices to give people the homes they need rather than spending a lot more money on a house that is built to last 100 years.

People make do with what they have to i get housing benefit, my private rental is just over a grand a month, it was made in 1936 or 7 and is grade 2 listed, so it still has the original windows and layout with larder cupboard etc. And a very interesting looking unused old electric meter thing with a phone handset attached.

Last time I was on the council housing list i was classed as D which is no chance of getting anywhere and was living in a total crap hole.

My parents\brother and sister live in a admittedly crappy 3 bedroom council house about a mile up the road they pay £400 a month rent. Its only crappy because of the council bodge jobs, the house itself imho looks like it was built around 1910 at the latest, but they have double glazing anyway which is a plus over me in my far more expensive private place
eslick37 m ago

have you not heard of insulation what do we do knock the majority of …have you not heard of insulation what do we do knock the majority of homes down and build new ones. Many council homes have thick walls, concrete floors and should now be insulated, doesn't mean they aren't efficient.

The luxury apartments going up in London left right and centre are extremely poorly built cheapest materials money can buy anything that just passes the current regs, and they will all be falling apart within 20 years.

I've said it many times over on here some luxury apartments went up round me and they are currently starting another bloody set of em, 749k for a 1 bed half the size of my rental, when the building was being made i heard the workers talking that it was going to have a expected life before defects of 12 years.
eslick39 m ago

have you not heard of insulation what do we do knock the majority of …have you not heard of insulation what do we do knock the majority of homes down and build new ones. Many council homes have thick walls, concrete floors and should now be insulated, doesn't mean they aren't efficient.

And heaven forbid someone wants to buy a home with a bit of character.
Segata-Sanshiro8 m ago

The luxury apartments going up in London left right and centre are …The luxury apartments going up in London left right and centre are extremely poorly built cheapest materials money can buy anything that just passes the current regs, and they will all be falling apart within 20 years.I've said it many times over on here some luxury apartments went up round me and they are currently starting another bloody set of em, 749k for a 1 bed half the size of my rental, when the building was being made i heard the workers talking that it was going to have a expected life before defects of 12 years.

Spot on. Council property built in the first half of the last century are well made sturdy dwellings. Scratch away at the gloss of new builds of today and the 'built at a price' is easy to see. I've been inside 'luxury apartments' that are under 15 years old and they look tatty in the communal areas.
OllieSt8 m ago

Spot on. Council property built in the first half of the last century are …Spot on. Council property built in the first half of the last century are well made sturdy dwellings. Scratch away at the gloss of new builds of today and the 'built at a price' is easy to see. I've been inside 'luxury apartments' that are under 15 years old and they look tatty in the communal areas.

And who knows if they are safe it was only councils ordered to look at their housing after Grenfell, but most property with aluminium cladding is private
eslick1 h, 24 m ago

No, we sell them off and build new affordable homes. Our old council house was built in the 1970s with a community coal boiler system which meant if you were on the end of a run you baked in summer and froze in winter. It got upgraded to a central heating system with massives of huge exposed copper hot water pipes as it was the cheapest option rather than burying them in the walls. It was big but damp due to lack of vents in the roof, poor glazing and insulation. By the end we had to replace some of the old chipboard floors as they had failed and various other issues along the way plus a load of othr things.
Compared to a modern day house it was large and drafty as a wind tunnel. It costs more to heat these old relics than a new build property and with heating costs going up every year it's daft to still use them. This is about keeping costs down and not how much you like the period features.
kester7622 m ago

No, we sell them off and build new affordable homes. Our old council house …No, we sell them off and build new affordable homes. Our old council house was built in the 1970s with a community coal boiler system which meant if you were on the end of a run you baked in summer and froze in winter. It got upgraded to a central heating system with massives of huge exposed copper hot water pipes as it was the cheapest option rather than burying them in the walls. It was big but damp due to lack of vents in the roof, poor glazing and insulation. By the end we had to replace some of the old chipboard floors as they had failed and various other issues along the way plus a load of othr things.Compared to a modern day house it was large and drafty as a wind tunnel. It costs more to heat these old relics than a new build property and with heating costs going up every year it's daft to still use them. This is about keeping costs down and not how much you like the period features.

Yes there are some like that and plenty of old style prefabs still knocking about but many are being replaced at least in our area with the decent homes scheme. To be honest the copper pipe thing happens all over the country, it happened in the 80s when our council house was upgraded when we were kids, most isn’t the chasing of the walls though it’s the concrete floors most had can’t put pipes under the floors so little option other than massive expense which for the rent that is paid means you have to have exposed / covered pipes.
eslick17 m ago

Yes there are some like that and plenty of old style prefabs still …Yes there are some like that and plenty of old style prefabs still knocking about but many are being replaced at least in our area with the decent homes scheme. To be honest the copper pipe thing happens all over the country, it happened in the 80s when our council house was upgraded when we were kids, most isn’t the chasing of the walls though it’s the concrete floors most had can’t put pipes under the floors so little option other than massive expense which for the rent that is paid means you have to have exposed / covered pipes.

Also meant the pipes didn't block but you quickly learn't not to touch them when the heating was on It was a godsend when we got central heating as they upgraded the whole lot. Crappy aluminum windows were the worse for swimming pools of water on your windows sill and black mould. Glad those days are over, especially as the patio windows didn't have safety glazing and a few people ran through them and got sliced up bad
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions