Rights about working when you live with an at risk individual.

Posted 21st Apr
Right so I live with my dad who has COPD and unfortunately I have to go back to work next week in a retail/food shop as I've pretty much used my holidays. Does anyone know my rights or is my only option to go into work or stay off without pay. Naturally I'm terrified of thought of getting infected as my dad has a high chance of dying from it, he has COPD among a few other illnesses, needless to say he isn't a healthy man.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Ring your manger and HR then putting in writing via email or letter .
express your concerns tell them you can’t come to work because of the High risk , ask them can you go on furlough . They will have to give you a reason why you can’t if that’s there response.
ashmac21/04/2020 17:08

Ring your manger and HR then putting in writing via email or letter …Ring your manger and HR then putting in writing via email or letter .express your concerns tell them you can’t come to work because of the High risk , ask them can you go on furlough . They will have to give you a reason why you can’t if that’s there response.

Apparently as I work in the hospital store that's remained open they won't do furlough, they closed the high street stores etc.
ashmac21/04/2020 17:08

Ring your manger and HR then putting in writing via email or letter …Ring your manger and HR then putting in writing via email or letter .express your concerns tell them you can’t come to work because of the High risk , ask them can you go on furlough . They will have to give you a reason why you can’t if that’s there response.

In "shielding" context, the employer may dischange any furlough reason obligation via simple statement of: "because we choose not to".
"Employers are also entitled to furlough employees who are being shielded or off on long-term sick leave. It is up to employers to decide whether to furlough these employees."
20 April 2020 version of Gov statement at gov.uk/gui…eme
AndyRoyd21/04/2020 17:30

In "shielding" context, the employer may dischange any furlough reason …In "shielding" context, the employer may dischange any furlough reason obligation via simple statement of: "because we choose not to"."Employers are also entitled to furlough employees who are being shielded or off on long-term sick leave. It is up to employers to decide whether to furlough these employees."20 April 2020 version of Gov statement at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

So basically the company doesn't give two hoots about my circumstances.
Old_King_Doran21/04/2020 17:42

So basically the company doesn't give two hoots about my circumstances.

No idea about your specific circumstance, but the company can choose not to furlough in a shielding situation, although financially for the company it would be bizarre not to, unless the co had some other undisclosed agenda.
The company I work for will not furlough anyone, who doesn’t have a letter themselves, regardless who they live with. They don’t want to set a precedent...
Your other options are

Move out

Isolate yourself from your father as much as possible
Has your dad had a shielding letter from the gov? I had one about 2 weeks ago and we decided because there are 4 people in our house that its pretty much impossible for the 3 of them to practice social distancing because of me. So my other half has spoken to his shift manager and he is now off work until my 12 weeks is up. However if my 12 weeks gets extended i’m not sure what we will do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions