Ring camera door bells

Posted 4th Jun
Morning,
I thought these were overpriced door bells if honest but I've now been considering one these or a cheaper alternative for our black composite front door as a cheap alternative to having security cameras installed, Its just to keep an eye on the cars and anyone who comes on drive etc.

Problem is I know absolutely nothing about them, how they work and which models are best to go for.
Are they battery powered which would be preferred as hard wiring is not an option at minute and could be messy with wires all over place.

How is the the footage recorded etc, is they a subscription cost involved

Any advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated from anyone in the know
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
It’s wired to your electrical box. I’m still waiting to install mine yet but my house is on sale

You don’t have to subscribe but it’s £4 a month which ain’t so bad
There are a couple of variants that are battery powered.
But I would recommend purchasing a spare battery so you can swap out when it runs out otherwise there will be a couple of hours of no bell as you charge the battery.

They will connect to your Wifi and you will get notifications on the Ring app.

Another thing is the chime which you can plug in at home. Also connects to Wifi and you can choose the tone it plays.

I have the basic subscription which is £2.50/mth or £24.99/year. This gives you a 30 day video history. You can also share and save any video you require.
They are battery - apart from the pro one, the footage is stored on the ring cloud service that you have to pay for £25 a year at the minute. The only thing you’ll need is a chime too as it rings your phone when someone presses it, but you can get the chime that plugs into the mains in the house and rings too.
if you run on battery - you can't really have live view without having to recharge battery every few hours/days... so it will be triggered on movement - and the more triggers you set (sensitivity), the less the battery will last.
I have this on my front door with normal trigger and i recharge battery on average once a month (I have bought a spare so i can switch, charge the one i remove, and store for next month switch)

I also have a lutec PIR light, which has a camera built in
this works great for live view and it also has an SD card which can store videos you can consult remotely

having both is probably best - subject to you already having a light with electrics you can replace (check out hte lutec range, they have different styles form classy lights to spotlights)
Extra battery isn’t necessary.
We just monitor the usage on the app and when it drops to around 25% I take it off the doorbell and charge it overnight.
Reinstall in the morning. Who is going to ring the bell after 11pm and before 6am?

The extra chime isn’t necessary if you use IFTTT app and link it to a Sonos or other compatible ‘speaker’.
There are chime type ‘songs’ in streaming providers. Mark one as a favourite or add to My Sonos. Then IFTTT will be able to use that as the task.

40971307.jpg

Similar to Sonos which we have 8 of after buying our 1st speaker.
You will build up a Ring eco system too. We wanted the doorbell. Then the 7 piece alarm came up. Then we needed an extra door sensor and room sensor.
It’s expensive but it works and all links well with other devices we have.
Then once we had the alarm and doorbell you bump up the monthly subscription to £8 or £80pa for cloud recording and a telephone call when the alarm activates.
Edited by: "spinks" 4th Jun
I have this one amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1 Bought it last March and have only had to recharge the batter once (which I did overnight, so as not to be without a doorbell during the day, although its is due for a charge soon as the battery icon has just turned red) but then I don't use the remote sensor. Why I preferred this to the Ring doorbell is, the video footage is stored on an SD Card, so there are no storage charges, if there is an incident you want to keep, you just download the clip to your phone. It records on a loop, so when the card is full, it will then record over the earliest recordings. The images and audio are very clear, and you get the indoor door chime as well. Much cheaper than a Ring doorbell too.
Conversely
If your ring gets ripped off your door frame they will replace it FOC.
Not the same if someone robs your budget brand or not so budget other brand.

Horses for courses 🐴
Also worth mentioning that if you do buy a ring doorbell and have any Alexa's in your house, they also act as a "Chime". Mine goes off on every Alexa in the house. I also chose to hard wire mine, it's exactly the same sort of power supply you would use for an old fashioned powered doorbell so the wires aren't huge.
The new ring door bell is great

It’s £99 which includes the chime and it’s 1080p

All-new Ring Video Doorbell + Ring Chime | 1080p HD video, Advanced Motion Detection, and easy installation amazon.co.uk/dp/…HS8
spinks04/06/2020 12:06

Conversely If your ring gets ripped off your door frame they will replace …Conversely If your ring gets ripped off your door frame they will replace it FOC. Not the same if someone robs your budget brand or not so budget other brand. Horses for courses 🐴

They'll only replace it once, not if it gets stolen a second or subsequent time, but I've yet to hear of anybody having their doorbell stolen.
Misslovely04/06/2020 10:01

It’s wired to your electrical box. I’m still waiting to install mine yet bu …It’s wired to your electrical box. I’m still waiting to install mine yet but my house is on saleYou don’t have to subscribe but it’s £4 a month which ain’t so bad

That's why I mentioned maybe battery would be better as unfortunately consumer unit is in kitchen not near front door
iang00704/06/2020 10:33

They are battery - apart from the pro one, the footage is stored on the …They are battery - apart from the pro one, the footage is stored on the ring cloud service that you have to pay for £25 a year at the minute. The only thing you’ll need is a chime too as it rings your phone when someone presses it, but you can get the chime that plugs into the mains in the house and rings too.

spinks04/06/2020 10:58

Extra battery isn’t necessary. We just monitor the usage on the app and w …Extra battery isn’t necessary. We just monitor the usage on the app and when it drops to around 25% I take it off the doorbell and charge it overnight. Reinstall in the morning. Who is going to ring the bell after 11pm and before 6am?The extra chime isn’t necessary if you use IFTTT app and link it to a Sonos or other compatible ‘speaker’. There are chime type ‘songs’ in streaming providers. Mark one as a favourite or add to My Sonos. Then IFTTT will be able to use that as the task. [Image] Similar to Sonos which we have 8 of after buying our 1st speaker. You will build up a Ring eco system too. We wanted the doorbell. Then the 7 piece alarm came up. Then we needed an extra door sensor and room sensor. It’s expensive but it works and all links well with other devices we have. Then once we had the alarm and doorbell you bump up the monthly subscription to £8 or £80pa for cloud recording and a telephone call when the alarm activates.

Alarm not required as already have one, just thought of a camera door bell thats all but had no idea what there all about
spinks04/06/2020 12:06

Conversely If your ring gets ripped off your door frame they will replace …Conversely If your ring gets ripped off your door frame they will replace it FOC. Not the same if someone robs your budget brand or not so budget other brand. Horses for courses 🐴

What if someone nicks it they replace it free, surly not.If honest forgot about that as it's easy to just whip of the wall or door
Edited by: "madmurd" 4th Jun
Thanks everyone for the input, god lot to take in.
I would have thought they would have come with a chime built in or something if honest as they not much use without one.
Not got anything Alexa can't be doing with all that nonsense it would do my nut in arguing with her all time, one woman in house is enough but might be something to consider as I have thought about it in past, so just plugging the chime in a power socket sounds good.
With sounds of it battery life is not that good so wired direct might be a better idea, I've got a sparky coming to install some lights on front of house so will ask him what crack is.

Hate the thought of paying some company brass just so I can view any footage, that's how they make their bras, should be free

Any recommendations on which model is best as they all sound same to me.

Do they do them in black and do you attach them to the door easy

Once again cheers for heads up
Edited by: "madmurd" 4th Jun
iang00704/06/2020 10:33

They are battery - apart from the pro one, the footage is stored on the …They are battery - apart from the pro one, the footage is stored on the ring cloud service that you have to pay for £25 a year at the minute. The only thing you’ll need is a chime too as it rings your phone when someone presses it, but you can get the chime that plugs into the mains in the house and rings too.

this is the one I ordered, but I don’t know if it has to be wired to electrics, or if it’s just a case of drilling it to the wall?

never had a doorbell before
madmurd04/06/2020 15:24

Thanks everyone for the input, god lot to take in.I would have thought …Thanks everyone for the input, god lot to take in.I would have thought they would have come with a chime built in or something if honest as they not much use without one.

Primarily, your phone is the door chime as it is connected to your phone via wifi/data coverage and an app, so the internal, plug in door chimes are usually an extra purchase as not deemed necessary for the doorbell to work.
Beebee1804/06/2020 16:13

Primarily, your phone is the door chime as it is connected to your phone …Primarily, your phone is the door chime as it is connected to your phone via wifi/data coverage and an app, so the internal, plug in door chimes are usually an extra purchase as not deemed necessary for the doorbell to work.

Ah right cheers for that
Post a comment
@
    Text