Ring Doorbell (1st Generation) - Heads Up

Found 15th May
So let's just say, like me, you purchased a 1st generation Ring doorbell.

Let's also say that you purchased it because you'd already seen and read a retail box which clearly stated it came equipped with a '1080p HD camera' (see picture below), you may be somewhat disgruntled that your Ring doorbell doesn't in fact record in full HD 1080p, but 720P instead, and you may find value in contacting Ring (I used Messenger) to express your dissatisfaction.

Ring may then offer to replace your 1st generation Ring with a Ring 2, which does record in 1080p. This is what they've offered to me.

2940142.jpg

2940142-1M16s.jpg2940142.jpg

2940142.jpg
Hope that helps someone at least.
Community Updates
MiscAccessories
48 Comments
I've been trying for months with their support, even offered to pay extra for an upgrade and they ended up sending me a free WiFi extender.

Might reply back and say it's still not 1080p as advertised and see what happens
You haven't blurred your emails in the chat thread, heads up
Useful info. Now they're owned by Amazon I wouldn't feel quite as guilty challenging them.
Rustee

you don’t read through..
the product advertises as 1080p which it isn’t
rustee6 m ago

If I bought an iPhone 5 and was then disappointed that it wasn’t an iPhone …If I bought an iPhone 5 and was then disappointed that it wasn’t an iPhone X that I’d seen elsewhere, would Apple offer me an X?If the shop mis-sold it to you, that’s an issue that the shop would need to resolve. But this seems like a very specific scenario, and definitely not a deal.

I don't think you've understood the concept of false advertising. The Ring (1st gen) box clearly states it records in 1080p. It doesn't. It's a 720p recording device. This is an Advertising Standards issue.
I'm waiting for the nest hello doorbell to come to the UK, but this sounds like a good swap if support will agree.
Thanks I've emailed them to try. I'd already been in contact with them about not getting notifications anyway
My Ring 1 is currently wireless - is the Ring 2 also wireless? I guess I'm asking, is swapping straightforward?

Or is the Ring 2 wired only?
solid40 s ago

My Ring 1 is currently wireless - is the Ring 2 also wireless? I guess I'm …My Ring 1 is currently wireless - is the Ring 2 also wireless? I guess I'm asking, is swapping straightforward?Or is the Ring 2 wired only?

Its wireless. Ring pro is wired only.
My Ring Video Doorbell box clearly says 720pHD camera on it, bought in November 2015.
Edited by: "Lozzibob" 15th May
Just checked my box - it only refers to HD VIDEO, no mention of resolution anywhere!

There must be lots of different boxes out there.
solid50 m ago

Just checked my box - it only refers to HD VIDEO, no mention of resolution …Just checked my box - it only refers to HD VIDEO, no mention of resolution anywhere!There must be lots of different boxes out there.

Look on the bottom
Just messaged and had a reply offering free replacement, yey!
Thank you
solid2 h, 2 m ago

Just checked my box - it only refers to HD VIDEO, no mention of resolution …Just checked my box - it only refers to HD VIDEO, no mention of resolution anywhere!There must be lots of different boxes out there.

Are you sure there's not a photo of it in the OP
Got a reply they are sending me a ring 2 thanks alot op
Thanks OP.
Just followed the steps and recieved their reply within an hour or so. Worked for me. Heat heat.
Thanks OP! Just received a replacement order for my unit.
I contacted live chat and they asked for a picture of the box it came in showing it says 1080p. Unfortunately I disposed of the box not long after purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
Edited by: "w4ynee" 16th May
w4ynee14 m ago

I contacted live chat and they asked for a picture of the box it came in …I contacted live chat and they asked for a picture of the box it came in showing it says 1080p. Unfortunately I disposed of the box not long after purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions.Thanks

Try ebay, I'm sure you'll find a picture of the box there.
cornfordb6916 m ago

Try ebay, I'm sure you'll find a picture of the box there.

They also want to see the mac address that's printed on the box
w4ynee1 h, 1 m ago

They also want to see the mac address that's printed on the box

I guess if you happen to have a photo of the relevant bit of the box (taken before you binned the box) you can send that, and provide your mac address listed in the Ring app?
Damn mine says 720p hate how unreliable it’s become. Support just blames WiFi
djstrobe4real1 h, 0 m ago

Damn mine says 720p hate how unreliable it’s become. Support just b …Damn mine says 720p hate how unreliable it’s become. Support just blames WiFi

What does the Ring app report your WiFi strength as?
I just spoke to ring regarding my mother's and they are sending a ring 2 through. Took a bit of repeating myself but asked to speak with a manager as it is not described correctly in the box and they conceded.
kingsly7948 m ago

I just spoke to ring regarding my mother's and they are sending a ring 2 …I just spoke to ring regarding my mother's and they are sending a ring 2 through. Took a bit of repeating myself but asked to speak with a manager as it is not described correctly in the box and they conceded.

Did you have to send a picture for proof?
GibsonSt191 h, 3 m ago

What does the Ring app report your WiFi strength as?

It fluctuates between 46-53 rssi
Edited by: "djstrobe4real" 16th May
djstrobe4real26 m ago

It fluctuates between 46-53 rssi

Mine's considered 'OK' at 63 rssi.

33806556.jpg
Edited by: "GibsonSt19" 16th May
GibsonSt191 h, 0 m ago

Mine's considered 'OK' at 63 rssi.[Image]

Yeah I’ve jumped through many hoops with Ring, I’m using the chime pro which is literally the other side of the front door but it still takes about 20-30 seconds to load video which is utterly useless for its purpose. Luckily though it records ok so that’s why I still have it. As soon as the nest hello gets released I’ll be all over it.
djstrobe4real1 h, 56 m ago

Did you have to send a picture for proof?

No. It came about from Ring support sending out a replacement for a faulty Ring 1, it came in a new box and had a label stuck over where it had said 1080p with a sticker saying 720p. I guess they didn't ask for proof as they know what they are trying to palm off to their customers with the replacement packaging.
If you watch it you will DIE ... so i am informed , anyway..
kingsly797 h, 3 m ago

No. It came about from Ring support sending out a replacement for a faulty …No. It came about from Ring support sending out a replacement for a faulty Ring 1, it came in a new box and had a label stuck over where it had said 1080p with a sticker saying 720p. I guess they didn't ask for proof as they know what they are trying to palm off to their customers with the replacement packaging.

I’ve tried my luck anyway, see what happens... the 720p is pretty shocking to begin with... coupled with being reliant on a fantastic WiFi network with impeccable upload speed it’s just not up to the job. I’m hoping a 1080p version is better
GibsonSt1916th May

I guess if you happen to have a photo of the relevant bit of the box …I guess if you happen to have a photo of the relevant bit of the box (taken before you binned the box) you can send that, and provide your mac address listed in the Ring app?

Tried that. The response was we need to see the mac pictured on the box. It's going to take a while but I'll get there
My box says 1080p and I’ve been offered an exchange for a 2nd gen, thanks OP!
Wow, that was like drawing blood from a stone...

I had to take about 15 pictures of my box/doorbell, then getting the receipt was a nightmare, as it was bought from argos... Then I was told that it was outside of the period (bought 15/02/2018)...

When I mentioned the sales of goods act and the item not being as described, it finally started going through...

Anyway, thanks OP
lovelldr15 h, 12 m ago

Wow, that was like drawing blood from a stone...I had to take about 15 …Wow, that was like drawing blood from a stone...I had to take about 15 pictures of my box/doorbell, then getting the receipt was a nightmare, as it was bought from argos... Then I was told that it was outside of the period (bought 15/02/2018)...When I mentioned the sales of goods act and the item not being as described, it finally started going through...Anyway, thanks OP

I have been offered box exchange lol. Just sent them picture of the box, expressed how dissapointed I am and mentioned sales of gooda act. Let see.
Arai26 m ago

I have been offered box exchange lol. Just sent them picture of the box, … I have been offered box exchange lol. Just sent them picture of the box, expressed how dissapointed I am and mentioned sales of gooda act. Let see.

That's laughable! The clearly don't give much credence to the law!
I have a 1080p box but a 720p device. They are only offering me 6 months subscription. I have been contacting them via email. They are being very stubborn. I have now got in touch with citizen advice to see what they say about my options
Success! After sending picture and mentioning sales of goods act got offered replacement. I have only purchased second hand ring from amazon warehouse for £70 once seen this discussion. Best deal ever
Edited by: "Arai" 22nd May
Arai33 m ago

Success! After sending picture and mentioning sales of goods act got …Success! After sending picture and mentioning sales of goods act got offered replacement. I have only purchased second hand ring from amazon warehouse for £70 once seen this discussion. Best deal ever

Great news!
GibsonSt1915th May

I don't think you've understood the concept of false advertising. The …I don't think you've understood the concept of false advertising. The Ring (1st gen) box clearly states it records in 1080p. It doesn't. It's a 720p recording device. This is an Advertising Standards issue.

I removed my comment as I originally thought your photo was a photo of the shop’s point of sale, not of the box. Apologies!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions