Groups

Rip DVD to pc to put on hard drive

Does anyone do this? I assume it's a lengthy process but is it worthwhile?

It would be nice to have my fave films on hard drive.

Anyone no any programes for this task or anyone think there is no point doing it?

Any help appreciated

15 Comments

Original Poster

Excuse poor grammer it's late :-)

Use a program called DVD decrypter to put it onto your hard drive or Handbrake is another good one. handbrake.fr

Should take no longer than 20 mins to rip a copy but will need a lot of hard drive space as its about 5gb of data per rip.

Original Poster

mr.potato_head;8170441

Use a program called DVD decrypter to put it onto your hard drive or … Use a program called DVD decrypter to put it onto your hard drive or Handbrake is another good one. http://handbrake.frShould take no longer than 20 mins to rip a copy but will need a lot of hard drive space as its about 5gb of data per rip.

Wow, 20 mins? I was expecting it to take a lot longer.

Space shouldn't be a problem as hard drives are so cheap these days

Have you done this yourself?

Thanks for the link

Banned

Starr;8170445

Wow, 20 mins? I was expecting it to take a lot longer.Space shouldn't be … Wow, 20 mins? I was expecting it to take a lot longer.Space shouldn't be a problem as hard drives are so cheap these days Have you done this yourself?Thanks for the link

depends on pc obviously. dvd decrypter is cool but doesnt work on a lot of recent dvds as it was written back in 2005 I believe.

Most of my DVD's are drm protected and would not copy to pc, Tryed cucusoft video converter, cheap to buy, and worked a treat.

Banned

IBFLY;8171057

Most of my DVD's are drm protected and would not copy to pc, Tryed … Most of my DVD's are drm protected and would not copy to pc, Tryed cucusoft video converter, cheap to buy, and worked a treat.

why buy when the above are all free :thumbsup:

Use dvd43 dvd43.com/ to get around protection.
    All will be fine then.

csiman;8170527

depends on pc obviously. dvd decrypter is cool but doesnt work on a lot … depends on pc obviously. dvd decrypter is cool but doesnt work on a lot of recent dvds as it was written back in 2005 I believe.

Yeah I know mates who it use to take hours! So I use to do it for them and they would get it off the network (whilst at uni, all halls were connected together!).

The fastest I've done a DVD was in about 15mins. :thumbsup:

rippin it is quick..... its the encoding of it that takes ages!

Original Poster

Guys thanks for the replys, at work on itouch at the moment but will go through it all at home.

Thanks again

subscribed for leeenks :-D

I have a tool (device driver) installed called AnyDvd, which simply sits there in the background and makes any DVD you put in look like an unprotected one. Then you can use anything you want to copy^H^H^H^H back it up.

A 4.3GB+ "rip" probably isn't what you want - huge amount of disk space in MPEG-2 format.... if you are going to rip them for your HD then as the earlier poster said, use Handbrake - it simplifies everything. It'll take hours, but you can have a very high quality version of the dvd in about 1GB of space.

Banned

pgregg;8197922

I have a tool (device driver) installed called AnyDvd, which simply sits … I have a tool (device driver) installed called AnyDvd, which simply sits there in the background and makes any DVD you put in look like an unprotected one. Then you can use anything you want to copy^H^H^H^H back it up.A 4.3GB+ "rip" probably isn't what you want - huge amount of disk space in MPEG-2 format.... if you are going to rip them for your HD then as the earlier poster said, use Handbrake - it simplifies everything. It'll take hours, but you can have a very high quality version of the dvd in about 1GB of space.

hours! DVDshrink takes about 15 minutes on my PC :w00t:

csiman;8198952

hours! DVDshrink takes about 15 minutes on my PC :w00t:

I didn't say DVD Shrink... I said Handbrake.

Plus, If it takes you 15 minutes to rip (shrink) and entire DVD then you're getting crap quality. It takes time for a reason - you want the software to make a first pass, work out the optimal balance between your target size and how best to compress to achieve a quality end file.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1111
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391515

See more discussions