Rip off corner shop?

Posted 4th May
Hi,

l wondered out of interest if independent small newsagents are bound by any rules when it comes to pricing?

Like charging 3 x the going rate for a bottle of wine? I was annoyed today as my husband got me, what what he thought was a decent bottle of red wine for £14.99 . It tasted nasty, turns out this same bottle is £6.50 in tesco ?

I know, it's not big deal ,l just wondered if this is common practice?

I agree these little shops should make an profit' and l expect to pay more than at Tesco's but that was just taking the pi** !
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I think it comes down to supply and demand - you go to your local store for convenience so your bound to pay over the odds.
Also, you need to take into account Tesco is buying that “bottle of wine” at a completely different cost to that of a corner shop that will probably buy 6 units a time compared to a 40ft container.

Next time you will know to buy the most expensive bottle the corner shop has so it’s around the £15 price point in the larger supermarkets:)

To answer your question - it could come u see profiteering but 3 x the going rate when compared to a blue chip company won’t work - it needs to be compared to like for like -
21 Comments
I think it comes down to supply and demand - you go to your local store for convenience so your bound to pay over the odds.
Also, you need to take into account Tesco is buying that “bottle of wine” at a completely different cost to that of a corner shop that will probably buy 6 units a time compared to a 40ft container.

Next time you will know to buy the most expensive bottle the corner shop has so it’s around the £15 price point in the larger supermarkets:)

To answer your question - it could come u see profiteering but 3 x the going rate when compared to a blue chip company won’t work - it needs to be compared to like for like -
Yes you always pay way, way, WAY more than places like Tesco/Asda/Sainbury's etc. because they simply dont have the supply chain or volume of sales to get costs down.

You are also paying for the convenience factor.
as far as i am aware, there is no price capping on how much things are priced in shops. just like on ebay. a seller can ask for any price for his goods and the buyer can accept that price or move on. as it is a free will contract, there is no higher intervention needed. your hubby decided to buy the wine even though it is well over priced, so there is no argument here.

you could have compared prices before purchase.
Corner shops have always been a rip off. Prefer to go to the little Tesco’s or Sainsburys if I need to
You're paying for the convenience of the corner shop having bought the wine from Tesco for you.
nrackham7604/05/2020 21:00

I think it comes down to supply and demand - you go to your local store …I think it comes down to supply and demand - you go to your local store for convenience so your bound to pay over the odds.Also, you need to take into account Tesco is buying that “bottle of wine” at a completely different cost to that of a corner shop that will probably buy 6 units a time compared to a 40ft container.Next time you will know to buy the most expensive bottle the corner shop has so it’s around the £15 price point in the larger supermarkets:)To answer your question - it could come u see profiteering but 3 x the going rate when compared to a blue chip company won’t work - it needs to be compared to like for like -

That undoubtedly plays its part, but its not just that simple as you could argue that they have nothing like the overheads of the supermarkets? The main difference I would think would be footfall, a supermarket can afford to make 20p on a product if they sell 10,000,000 of them a week, a convenience store cant if they only sell 5 a week.

The fact that many don't appreciate is that all retailers big and small get a HUGE profit on almost everything they sell. When I worked in retail many moons ago, we used to drop prices on near out of date food to ridiculous levels, people lapped it up thinking that they were "winning" yet we were still charging above cost.
RF8804/05/2020 21:08

Corner shops have always been a rip off. Prefer to go to the little …Corner shops have always been a rip off. Prefer to go to the little Tesco’s or Sainsburys if I need to

Our Tescoxpress is a rip off.
Our local news shop has loads of price marked £1 items.
Regarding your wine yes you have paid the odds, it should have been £7/£8 really because just because it’s local doesn’t mean they buy it expensive as I used to buy stock for a corner shop so I do know what I’m saying. Maybe the bottle is in high demand or they thought that the current situation they can make extra ££s
Amazon isn't that cheap at the moment & I would more be worried about them because they serve millions rather than your local corner shop that caters for one or 200. After all, you went to your local corner shop & bought it.
That nasty vinegary red wine will go well in a spag bol, so don't chuck it away
You can Report for price gouging.
Does he get you flowers from the garage on your anniversary?
ssc104/05/2020 22:39

You’ll get laughed at if you do. Red wine isn’t an essential item anyway.
My corner shop is selling 5 bananas for £1.25
That's a bargain saving yourself queuing at Tesco
ssc104/05/2020 22:39

lol, no you can't.

As others have said, you can't compare the prices in a local shop to a supermarket, I used to go to Bookers etc quite often and a lot of stuff was more expensive trade than Tesco or Asda were, and that was before you added VAT.

Regarding a corner shop having lower overheads, Tesco are probably paying less rent per SqFt than a small shop.
You think corner shops are rip offs? Places like the o2 arena which are militant about bringing in food and water bottles inside with airport style security at the doors so they can charge you high prices for selling you stuff.
julieallen05/05/2020 02:39

lol, no you can't.As others have said, you can't compare the prices in a …lol, no you can't.As others have said, you can't compare the prices in a local shop to a supermarket, I used to go to Bookers etc quite often and a lot of stuff was more expensive trade than Tesco or Asda were, and that was before you added VAT.Regarding a corner shop having lower overheads, Tesco are probably paying less rent per SqFt than a small shop.

Fair enough, read that you could maybe it was for larger stores.
ssc105/05/2020 08:34

Fair enough, read that you could maybe it was for larger stores.

You can report stores for that, for essential items and when they are actually doing it. Unless you know how much that shop normally charges then how can you know they are?
Would be different if they usually sell a pack of toilet rolls for £1.99 and you went in and they were £7.99 because of the pandemic, but knowing corner shop prices, this is probably around their normal price.
Have you thought about exchanging the husband?

Nothing you can do but avoid the store in the future I would think. Frustrating though.
OP
How does £14.99 equate to 3 times the price of the wine at tesco at £6.50 a bottle?
Surely 3 times the price would be £19.50, so really you have had a bargain @ £14.99
Edited by: "fearona" 5th May
Not sure about price gouging rules in independent shops. It's certainly a disgusting move though. One of my local shops has put prices up of toilet rolls - 7.00 for 4 rolls, used to be 1.09 and it says 1.09 on the packet! But of course that's just a "Recommended retail price". Milk 2 pints 3.50 instead of 1.00 etc.
3 x £6.50 is not £14.99, maybe less booze would be an idea.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions