Groups

RIP Ron Asheton of The Stooges

mod
    So sad to lose a founder member of one of the greatest bands ever.

Ron, in my humble opinion, is resposible for THE greatest guitar riff of all time.

From The Independent : - "Guitarist Ron Asheton of The Stooges was found dead at home today. He was 60.

Asheton's distorted guitar was a hallmark of the Iggy Pop-led group's late-1960s and early-1970s sound.

He was an original member of The Stooges, an influential protopunk band founded in 1967. His brother, Scott, was the band's drummer.

He was named the 29th greatest guitarist of all time in 2003 by Rolling Stone magazine.

Police in Ann Arbor, Michigan, said there were no signs of foul play, and the death appeared to be of natural causes.

Officers discovered Asheton after they were called to his home by friend who had not heard from him in several days."

Listen here : - uk.youtube.com/wat…r4o

3 Comments

he stood next to me briefly in a quiet part of the venue when he arrived for the Asheton, Asheton & Mascis show in London, about a year before Iggy reformed The Stooges and I've been kicking myself ever since that I never shook his hand and exchanged a few words; never going to have that opportunity again now - the news of his all too early death really came as a horrible shock last night. at least with the Stooges touring again, he got chance to seeing just how appreciated he was by fans worldwide, so in that sense went out on a high, and I count myself very lucky to have attended the Fun House show in London a few years ago, when the whole album was played from start to finish.

Banned

So Sad

R.I.P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3944
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313

See more discussions