Ripped off

Found 27th Mar 2017
I have just purchased a condenser dryer on Gumtree which failed to work. Hindsight has provided a number of red flags but no solutions.

Dryer fails to heat up and I am concerned the expense to repair will be excessive.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
44 Comments

Was the purchase private or via a Trade seller/OR
(as I suspect) IF it was/is private... .... Its going to be a bit ... tricky....

pineapplebitch

I have just purchased a condenser dryer on Gumtree which failed to work. … I have just purchased a condenser dryer on Gumtree which failed to work. Hindsight has provided a number of red flags but no solutions...

Have you shown all these red flags in response to the seller's bull?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/35/68/a8/3568a814d97b8c5baed7842c0f5d57e2.gif

Original Poster

cloudthecat

Was the purchase private or via a Trade seller/OR (as I suspect) IF it … Was the purchase private or via a Trade seller/OR (as I suspect) IF it was/is private... .... Its going to be a bit ... tricky....

Private seller unfortunately so not much recourse. I have messaged them on the off chance they aren't rip off merchants but looking unlikely any solution on the cards. Just regretting not being smarter

Original Poster

fanpages

Have you shown all these red flags in response to the seller's bull?

As i say seen in Hindsight i chose to naively have faith

not much you can do unfortunately! this happens all the time and its easy to see in hindsight but not at the time.
Just think yourself lucky it wasn't hundred and hundreds your out on.

Oh God..... ..... .... I HOPE you get this sorted I truly do.....

Original Poster

Deaa

not much you can do unfortunately! this happens all the time and its easy … not much you can do unfortunately! this happens all the time and its easy to see in hindsight but not at the time.Just think yourself lucky it wasn't hundred and hundreds your out on.

Definitely I was lucky in a respect I haggled them down so any repairs can be factored towards the original price but could exceed the price paid. Taking it as a learning experience but doesn't change the fact its wounding as needed for my babies clothes

Original Poster

cloudthecat

Oh God..... ..... .... I HOPE you get this sorted I truly do.....

Thank you

pineapplebitch

Thank you

I truely mean it...... I feel soo soo sooo guted and sad for you I really do... ((((HUGS))) xxx

As others have said before me hough - OUCH!!!!

Thanks for the update.

It seems you've been hung out to dry. Dint you test it at theirs before buying?

Normally if it's not heating it could be thermostat switch £8 or heater element more. Google it.

Original Poster

CookinBat

It seems you've been hung out to dry. Dint you test it at theirs before … It seems you've been hung out to dry. Dint you test it at theirs before buying?

Was dropped off and it appears to work just doesn't dry

Original Poster

drtongue

Normally if it's not heating it could be thermostat switch £8 or heater … Normally if it's not heating it could be thermostat switch £8 or heater element more. Google it.

Definitely first thing i did. Allowing it to dry overnight then will see if can fix if I am lucky may turn out to be a bargain

pineapplebitch

Was dropped off and it appears to work just doesn't dry

Well if it was dropped that would explain it Why dint you test it before you coughed up?

Sometimes if you open the back there is a thermo fuse which may have tripped. Should be able to reset it if so

Original Poster

CookinBat

Well if it was dropped that would explain it Why dint you test it … Well if it was dropped that would explain it Why dint you test it before you coughed up?

One of the red flags gentleman that delivered knew nothing about it and was in a rush. I tried it and it appeared to work as this is my first condenser dryer was not 100% on what to look for. If I listed all the various red flags I doubt anyone would have been so naive

Original Poster

barrel24

Sometimes if you open the back there is a thermo fuse which may have … Sometimes if you open the back there is a thermo fuse which may have tripped. Should be able to reset it if so

That's the issue i am hoping it is as I am awful at d.i.y

pineapplebitch

One of the red flags gentleman that delivered knew nothing about it and … One of the red flags gentleman that delivered knew nothing about it and was in a rush. I tried it and it appeared to work as this is my first condenser dryer was not 100% on what to look for. If I listed all the various red flags I doubt anyone would have been so naive

Maybe not so much naive but trusting. Hope it's a cheap fix for you.

I think it will be a cheap repair. Depends what model.

I've changed the heating element in a old dryer i had ages ago and cost just £15.

Post up the model number.

How long have you had it on? I'm sure our new one took us a while to figure out.. Think you need it on for at least 20+ minutes to notice it's warm.. the damper the clothes the longer it will take to appear warm. It may also be worth posting the model details here in case anyone here with same model can offer any advice.

Could be an easy fix. I bought a washer/dryer off eBay a few years ago which never worked, would cut out whenever the pump tried to start. I was livid and got in contact with ebay and the seller who did nothing. So I looked on the internet for a new pump which was not much so flipped the machine over to make sure it was the right pump before I ordered. And the wire to the pump had come out. Pushed it back in and it has been working fine for about 3 years now.

Buy off Gumtree at your peril...

Lesson learnt. Don't whinge about it - PLEASE!!!!

Doh!

I made a very stupid purchase of gumtree last week,

Bought a new cooker for £200!!
When I connected it burner doesn't work and inner glass doors missing on grill!!
Didn't see at the time,seller not responding
Won't do that again

if you know their address send em a few pizzas skips etc....

I've been lucky ....i bought a dishwasher I went to address and they were outside didn't think that it was probably not their home until I got home luckily dishwasher works like new

I think you will be lucky with heater element replacement. What's the model and make of the machine. I may be able to find you some YouTube videos to help you replace the part normally it's a really easy quick job. I used to do this for a second job.

What are your rights if you buy of gumtree to find its faulty soon after

ashmac

What are your rights if you buy of gumtree to find its faulty soon after

no rights sold as seen face to face unless the vendor offers a warranty etc

Original Poster

GVC D91CB

Original Poster

J4GG4

I think it will be a cheap repair. Depends what model.I've changed the … I think it will be a cheap repair. Depends what model.I've changed the heating element in a old dryer i had ages ago and cost just £15.Post up the model number.

GVC D91CB tried opening it up and cleaning elements will need to invest in some tools and hopefully can repair

Original Poster

larrylightweight

I think you will be lucky with heater element replacement. What's the … I think you will be lucky with heater element replacement. What's the model and make of the machine. I may be able to find you some YouTube videos to help you replace the part normally it's a really easy quick job. I used to do this for a second job.

GVC D91CB i tried opening it up but npt able to test the elements yet

Original Poster

amir

I made a very stupid purchase of gumtree last week,Bought a new cooker … I made a very stupid purchase of gumtree last week,Bought a new cooker for £200!!When I connected it burner doesn't work and inner glass doors missing on grill!!Didn't see at the time,seller not respondingWon't do that again

Everydays an education unfortunately some of the lessons aren't nice ones

Original Poster

KareemSaid

Buy off Gumtree at your peril...Lesson learnt. Don't whinge about it - … Buy off Gumtree at your peril...Lesson learnt. Don't whinge about it - PLEASE!!!!Doh!

I fail to see where I have whinged but thank you for your feedback.

Last week I did not purchase furniture from ijnfurniture on ebay after seeing horror stories on here. True story bro

pineapplebitch

GVC D91CB tried opening it up and cleaning elements will need to invest … GVC D91CB tried opening it up and cleaning elements will need to invest in some tools and hopefully can repair

Is it displaying a fault code? E?

Original Poster

J4GG4

Is it displaying a fault code? E?

No it appears to work perfectly aside from the lack of heating

Have you tried replacing the flux capacitor?

Very common fault on tumble dryers.

pineapplebitch

GVC D91CB i tried opening it up but npt able to test the elements yet

A quick search and this is most likely the part you need but please check yourself by entering your own details also try ebay as candy website is likely to be more expensive. link

Banned

go back to the house you bought it from.

Original Poster

larrylightweight

A quick search and this is most likely the part you need but please check … A quick search and this is most likely the part you need but please check yourself by entering your own details also try ebay as candy website is likely to be more expensive. link

You're a star
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants