Groups

Ripped off by Avis car hire

Hi rented a car through BA fly drive, going to Florida. When we got there Avis asked us if we wanted SAT nav etc or upgrade- we declined. When we got home they had charged is £240 for "upgrade".They gave us a receipt saying we owe them nothing then charged us. I went to Santander who have after 40 days declined or claim against this saying Avis have said it was for upgrades! Anyone any idea where I can take this or what I can do, thank.

28 Comments

ask them what upgrades? then tell them you didn't have any upgrades..

sounds like a simple mistake

We had a similar issue where we were not offered premium insurance and then charged us top whack for some damage to car (minor, but was 500 euros), but just emailed and explained and they were pretty good about it. So yeah just contact them.

firstly, change banks !!! Santander are worse than useless !!!!!

Martin Lewis recently talked about this. Many ways they get you with extra charges with the fuel. Insurance. Ect. Put me off ever renting a car

wayners

Martin Lewis recently talked about this. Many ways they get you with … Martin Lewis recently talked about this. Many ways they get you with extra charges with the fuel. Insurance. Ect. Put me off ever renting a car

limits your options not ever having a hire car

definitely a known scam for Florida same thing happened to us we agreed a deal and specifically said we didn't want certain things for it to have came up later that it was added anyway.but after a 8 hour flight and a 2 hour customs wait with children they are certainly waiting for people to get caught in the trap especially when they do not have the car you booked 6 months prior and also you must make sure resort deposits are refunded as this is another battle

I have found it much easier to pre-pay and check-in online before I go. I usually use Alamo but I imagine the other car hire companies do the same thing. When I get to the US, I don't have to queue, I just go to the garage, choose the car I want from a row of different ones, show my paperwork and off I go. Usually takes around ten minutes and saves the hassle of having to listen to a sales pitch of all the different insurance options, GPS etc. I have never been charged anything extra. This may be something to consider for the future as it is so much easier. For the issue you have; I would start with an e-mail to Avis. Although I haven't used them, I have found other car hire companies in the US to be helpful with queries before I used the pre-pay service. Good luck!

Diggler01

I have found it much easier to pre-pay and check-in online before I go. I … I have found it much easier to pre-pay and check-in online before I go. I usually use Alamo but I imagine the other car hire companies do the same thing. When I get to the US, I don't have to queue, I just go to the garage, choose the car I want from a row of different ones, show my paperwork and off I go. Usually takes around ten minutes and saves the hassle of having to listen to a sales pitch of all the different insurance options, GPS etc. I have never been charged anything extra. This may be something to consider for the future as it is so much easier. For the issue you have; I would start with an e-mail to Avis. Although I haven't used them, I have found other car hire companies in the US to be helpful with queries before I used the pre-pay service. Good luck!

+1 used alamo pre pay in canada and usa never been charged only time i had trouble was rental car overheating but got a full refund with a bonus payment for my trouble

I always prepay as well, sometimes I might change the car on the day if I feel like it but I'd agree, Hire car companies are the pits.

I get a lot of hire cars here and Thirty are useless, late to deliver. The branch doesn't know what the drivers are doing, take 2 days to pick the car up after its off hire, sometimes they collect at 10pm!

This can happen to any company not just avis, it's not company policy it's more to do with the manager of the specific branch doing dodgy tactics. Someone I know told me his manager does this to get more money and bonuses and if customer calls back they get refunded but for those who don't know of it, the company wins. I would report it to Avis and leave a review for this branch in various places online. You should call them first before contacting bank though, that would be my first point of contact. I'm sure they will refund you.

Original Poster

Ive called Avis umpteen times- absolutely hopeless

Do you have a recipt that shows no upgrades? Call Santander again and tell them you have receipt hopefully you speak with someone else who is more willing to help.

Original Poster

Yeah, we have receipts etc we've spoke with countless ppl from Santander they phoned today said they are not upholding claim!

DomBhoy10

Yeah, we have receipts etc we've spoke with countless ppl from Santander … Yeah, we have receipts etc we've spoke with countless ppl from Santander they phoned today said they are not upholding claim!

On what grounds? You clearly have a receipt showing the agreed charge so I can't see how Santander can dispute this.

Try this ceo

Tip: be polite, don't let emotions get in the way otherwise it would go unnoticed because it's not their job to respond to complaints and you do want their attention.

Santander are useless. Bank manager wouldn't even sign a form to indicate I have sufficient funds to purchase an item (for grant eligibility) Going to loose thousands over it.
    Will be moving my business elsewhere.
    Was considering taking out a mortgage with them. Not now.

Original Poster

MR1123

Try this ceoTip: be polite, don't let emotions get in the way otherwise … Try this ceoTip: be polite, don't let emotions get in the way otherwise it would go unnoticed because it's not their job to respond to complaints and you do want their attention.

Thank you so much, I'll do that. That's one I owe you ❤️

I used to work for a car hire company.

Cars are graded by class and assigned a class code within the booking system.

For example

CCAN is compact (c) 3 door (c) automatic (a) no air con (n)

IDMR is intermediate (I) 4 door (d) manual (m) air con requested (R)

Your booking may state "compact" or whatever but in the back end system there wI'll be a class code assigned.

There are two types of receipts - preliminary and final. Preliminary itemised the charges you will be liable for including upgrade fees, incidentals (gps etc), taxes, and the maximum liability of excess.

The final is the outcome of your rental including any damage claims you are liable for - regardless of blame or fault, or whether you're in charge of the vehicle when the damage occurs. In other words if you leave it, someone scratches it you're still liable.

On your preliminaru and final receipt you will see a bunch codes one of which is the class of car associated with the make and model.

If youve been erroneously charged an upgrade fee you can dispute it based upon the car class reserved versus the cat class provided and cross referencing them. If they are the same then it's erroneous, if the car class provided is lower than the car class reserved but you've been overcharged then you'll be entitled to receive the difference.

The problem comes when your car class prvoided is higher than the one reserved AND the upgrade fee is clearly marked on your preliminary receipt, AND you've signed the document. You have to appreciate that when you sign you are signing a contract the terms of which are contained within the document you sign. You ARE responsible for due diligence which includes reading it and understanding it before you sign.

If the charges are listed on your preliminary bill and you've signed it, you'll be extremely lucky to get money back. If they are not on there you'll be extremely unlucky not to get refunded and if you don't I would speak to CAB and perhaps go to small claims and the media about it.

I'd like to know more facts. This sounds like a holiday(?) in which case I would like to know whether this is a package or not? I suspect it is - so you should go direct to whoever took your money in exchange for that package - that is where your contract is.

Anything which was done in Florida could be construed as under American Law - in which case I wish you luck dealing with it.
    The big answer maybe in how you paid for all this. Credit card? In which case direct your requests for repayment through there or ABTA. But as others have said the Citizens Advice Consumer Advice service will support and guide through everything.

Original Poster

t3hfunk3r

I used to work for a car hire company. Cars are graded by class and … I used to work for a car hire company. Cars are graded by class and assigned a class code within the booking system. For exampleCCAN is compact (c) 3 door (c) automatic (a) no air con (n) IDMR is intermediate (I) 4 door (d) manual (m) air con requested (R)Your booking may state "compact" or whatever but in the back end system there wI'll be a class code assigned. There are two types of receipts - preliminary and final. Preliminary itemised the charges you will be liable for including upgrade fees, incidentals (gps etc), taxes, and the maximum liability of excess.The final is the outcome of your rental including any damage claims you are liable for - regardless of blame or fault, or whether you're in charge of the vehicle when the damage occurs. In other words if you leave it, someone scratches it you're still liable. On your preliminaru and final receipt you will see a bunch codes one of which is the class of car associated with the make and model. If youve been erroneously charged an upgrade fee you can dispute it based upon the car class reserved versus the cat class provided and cross referencing them. If they are the same then it's erroneous, if the car class provided is lower than the car class reserved but you've been overcharged then you'll be entitled to receive the difference. The problem comes when your car class prvoided is higher than the one reserved AND the upgrade fee is clearly marked on your preliminary receipt, AND you've signed the document. You have to appreciate that when you sign you are signing a contract the terms of which are contained within the document you sign. You ARE responsible for due diligence which includes reading it and understanding it before you sign. If the charges are listed on your preliminary bill and you've signed it, you'll be extremely lucky to get money back. If they are not on there you'll be extremely unlucky not to get refunded and if you don't I would speak to CAB and perhaps go to small claims and the media about it.

If I emailed you the documents would you be willing to take a look at them? You clearly know what you are talking about!

wow you really want him to look at the documents don't you lol
    Can't you browse through and look for the info he's mentioned?

Original Poster

Obv there was a glitch with the reply. And obv I've looked through the stuff and I'm unsure where to go with it. I've lost over £300 here and I'm a bit angry. Why are you even commenting if you've nothing worth while to say? Really don't understand people like you, have you nothing better to do with your time? Sad life if the truth be told!!
    Edited by: "DomBhoy10" 16th Dec 2016

DomBhoy10

Obv there was a glitch with the reply. And obv I've looked through the … Obv there was a glitch with the reply. And obv I've looked through the stuff and I'm unsure where to go with it. I've lost over £300 here and I'm a bit angry. Why are you even commenting if you've nothing worth while to say? Really don't understand people like you, have you nothing better to do with your time? Sad life if the truth be told!!

Oh turning to insults now...nice
    How is you put it
    "Obv" that was a tongue in cheek wow as it was funny you had put 5 comments asking.
    But yeah you've found me out my life is so sad...
    Thank you total stranger for telling the truth.

Original Poster

Do you see the total irony in your reply? It's not really nice when you get a "total stranger" acting like a pratt towards you!!! As you were! I'm sure you've got comments to post!

stefromuk

Oh turning to insults now...nice How is you put it "Obv" that was a … Oh turning to insults now...nice How is you put it "Obv" that was a tongue in cheek wow as it was funny you had put 5 comments asking.But yeah you've found me out my life is so sad... :(Thank you total stranger for telling the truth.

Bore off troll

That's fine. Pm me and I'll send my email to you. Make sure you don't send any personal information on the receipt including name, address, credit card details etc. I don't want to see any of that at all.

Original Poster

Ok buddy thanks very much for all your help

haven't received anything yet - did you send it?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767382
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2469
      3. 5am gym crew20131
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1319

See more discussions