Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!

Found 21st Aug 2017
So I ordered a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 a couple of weeks ago, 64GB ROM (Global version) with 4GB RAM (Black). I get a note through the door from Yodel to say they had left it outside. It was in the place where they said it was & sealed. I opened the parcel, phone box in there but no phone & charger!

This means someone stole it in transit. I have raised a case with Paypal, but Gearbest immediately rejected a refund claim. I also raised a case with GearBest, who have done NOTHING! Funny how they so something on Paypal but not on their own ticket system. I am also going to contact Yodel as they delivered it and it was in Yodel packaging, but no internal invoice, paperwork, Gearbest info, nothing.

Any suggestions on what to do now?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Remember to listen when people tell you not to order anything from Gearbest that costs more than 80 pence
47 Comments
Remember to listen when people tell you not to order anything from Gearbest that costs more than 80 pence
termite13 m ago

Remember to listen when people tell you not to order anything from …Remember to listen when people tell you not to order anything from Gearbest that costs more than 80 pence

I know you didn't mean it literally but lots of people order from GB without their stuff going missing. OP, box was all sealed? does it look like it was tampered with? I don't know how paypal works in such issues but I was of the opinion that it deals with buyers very sympathetically.
"no internal invoice, paperwork, Gearbest info, nothing"

perhaps you've bought a box for it on eBay while drunk and your phone is still in transit
I would not expect it to be in Yodel packaging. Have used Gearbest before and packaging was very clearly Chinese in origin/style. I actually got a small photo (jpeg) of the packaging in the "order dispatched" email every item I've purchased from them - worth checking to see if you did and if the picture is the same as the delivered packaging. If not then the crime appears to have been committed nearer to home!
Read some of the Yodel reviews on Trustpilot and their replies
They seem to direct complaints to an email address socialmediaescalations@yodel.gnatta.com Could be worth stating what happened in a honest review and seeing if they direct you there.
Edited by: "gazdoubleu" 21st Aug 2017
it boggles my mind people still buying from that website, I see higher ups posting "deals" from said website everyday so must be something in it obviously.

Stick with Paypal, you have not received what you paid for, you have done nothing wrong.

Have they been in touch?
Order from Gearbest Banggood etc at your risk . How many times do the sheep need telling ? Sorry no sympathy left now . Every time I point this out on these so called Chinese deals folks don't believe it and criticise my warnings - its your money ,its your risk - just don't come on here moaning when it goes pear shaped any more !
Edited by: "rogparki" 21st Aug 2017
I've ordered a lot from gearbest over the space of a few years. Only had 1 problem and was sorted straight away. They always come in Plain packaging with Chinese writing, never in yodel etc packaging
Well, thanks for the responses (most of them), it's not the first time I ordered from them, never had a problem before. And as stated when I have had stuff turn up before it arrived in Chinese packaging, this is the first time it has turned up in UK courier packaging. Internal box had been tampered with, no shrink wrap or anything. I will contact "Alice" and see what happens...
Iirc, section 75 of the consumer credit act makes your credit card provider jointly liable in events like this. Read up on your rights, and contact GB to threaten charge back, and then your credit card provider if they fail to budge.

If you bought via debit card or bank transfer though, you're pretty much boned.
dxx2 h, 5 m ago

Iirc, section 75 of the consumer credit act makes your credit card …Iirc, section 75 of the consumer credit act makes your credit card provider jointly liable in events like this. Read up on your rights, and contact GB to threaten charge back, and then your credit card provider if they fail to budge. If you bought via debit card or bank transfer though, you're pretty much boned.

Charge back is for debit card transactions, section 75 claim for credit cards. Only boned if paid via bank transfer.

Contact your card issuer and ask them what can be done.
xfaxfa11 m ago

Charge back is for debit card transactions, section 75 claim for credit …Charge back is for debit card transactions, section 75 claim for credit cards. Only boned if paid via bank transfer. Contact your card issuer and ask them what can be done.

Chargeback is equally available for both debit card and credit card transactions, governed by internal banking rules; s75 provides additional protection with statutory basis for credit card purchases above £100
Illusionary4 m ago

Chargeback is equally available for both debit card and credit card …Chargeback is equally available for both debit card and credit card transactions, governed by internal banking rules; s75 provides additional protection with statutory basis for credit card purchases above £100

Thanks for making that clear. I was just making the point that OP isn't boned by using a debit card like the other comment suggested.
xfaxfa1 m ago

Thanks for making that clear. I was just making the point that OP isn't …Thanks for making that clear. I was just making the point that OP isn't boned by using a debit card like the other comment suggested.

Yep, agreed
Seems to me someone at Yodel stole your phone (which is a common occurrence).
Hi Steven_W,

Could you please kindly PM me your order number for re-checking ?

Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
You can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com
I'm exactly in the same situation as you. Ordered Xiaomi Mi Max 2 a week ago, and there was nothing inside when it arrived. Did your packaging have tape across the seal? Cause mine did and it seems it was stolen in transit too
I don't know about gearbest but I wouldn't trust yodel to deliver a pint of milk.
BurningToxic5 h, 19 m ago

I'm exactly in the same situation as you. Ordered Xiaomi Mi Max 2 a week …I'm exactly in the same situation as you. Ordered Xiaomi Mi Max 2 a week ago, and there was nothing inside when it arrived. Did your packaging have tape across the seal? Cause mine did and it seems it was stolen in transit too

the tape was probably masking the fact the seal has been tampered with.
ive ordered a few small value items from GB and BG but in the market for a xiomi phone. though the thought did cross my mind of being a greater risk as it would be a high value item. or maybe the yodel delivery guys are plain thieves .
Hold on - you said "It was in the place where they said it was & sealed" - then you said someone must have stolen it in transit?
How is this possible if it was still sealed?

Obviously they sent you an empty box, surprised it was not sent as a signed for package, that rings alarm bells.

*edit added not in the sentence...
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 22nd Aug 2017
Bigfootpete1 h, 27 m ago

Hold on - you said "It was in the place where they said it was & sealed" - …Hold on - you said "It was in the place where they said it was & sealed" - then you said someone must have stolen it in transit? How is this possible if it was still sealed? Obviously they sent you an empty box, surprised it was not sent as a signed for package, that rings alarm bells.*edit added not in the sentence...

Gearbest were still insisting they weighted the package before sending it. Picture probably says it better
what I mean. I made the rip on the left, but the rip in place where the tape is on the right?
31750913-OHE4d.jpg
I never had this problem when I ordered a phone from them back in 2016, then again it wasn't marked as mobile phones nor delivered by Yodel. I believed they used Royal Mail that time.
OK, so I have started a full refund claim with Paypal now (Gearbest offered me a £30 refund... really?). So we'll see how that goes. I explained that it wasn't up to me to pursue their couriers if in fact they stole it. I bought from Gearbest & so that is where the responsibility lies... I'll keep this updated as I know more.
Steven_W11 m ago

OK, so I have started a full refund claim with Paypal now (Gearbest …OK, so I have started a full refund claim with Paypal now (Gearbest offered me a £30 refund... really?). So we'll see how that goes. I explained that it wasn't up to me to pursue their couriers if in fact they stole it. I bought from Gearbest & so that is where the responsibility lies... I'll keep this updated as I know more.

The only thing with Gearbest is that their T&Cs state that once they hand over to the courier, it is no longer their responsibility (which is completely at odds with what we would expect from any EU/USA retailer) unless you buy their insurance. I'm not sure how Paypal will rule on that. In the past, people have only been able to get things remedied by complaining enough in public.
just a little side note to those mentioning section 75 claims before you go mentioning that to paypal etc
A little research will tell you there is a slight fault with that as apparently there must be direct link between the supplier, the credit provider and the consumer, this falls over when you use paypal as your cc etc is not paying the supplier.
not sure if anyone has ever tried using it against paypal if you use their paypal credit scheme to pay part of the transaction is should then equate to s75 cover.
Steven_W14 h, 16 m ago

OK, so I have started a full refund claim with Paypal now (Gearbest …OK, so I have started a full refund claim with Paypal now (Gearbest offered me a £30 refund... really?). So we'll see how that goes. I explained that it wasn't up to me to pursue their couriers if in fact they stole it. I bought from Gearbest & so that is where the responsibility lies... I'll keep this updated as I know more.

Hi Steven_W,

Could you please kindly send me your order number for re-checking ?

I haven't received it yet. i am able to look into your issue based on its order number.

Hopefully, i am able to help you
Hope to hear back from you soon

Gearbest Store Rep.Alice
You can contact me here : Alice@gearbest.com
psychobitchfromhell22nd Aug

I don't know about gearbest but I wouldn't trust yodel to deliver a pint …I don't know about gearbest but I wouldn't trust yodel to deliver a pint of milk.

Yodel wrapped someone else's parcel from John lewis in their own box and addressed it to my husband. When they delivered the box, my husband said he was not expecting a parcel from anyone, can he open it before he signs for it? Just as well as inside, the John lewis parcel was clearly for someone else in a different part of the country!
So the problem is Yodel, Gearbest use them, meaning there is no point in me making an order if the courier steals it.
I ordered two low value items from BangGood before and they were delivered by Royal Mail not a UK budget courier.

BangGood are not GearBest I know but still a similar company.
If you went for the slow Chinese post rather than DHL then it should have been handed over to RM I think, not Yodel.
I wouldn't expect a parcel from one of those Chinese companies to turn up with Yodel, MyHermes and the likes.
Edited by: "hearts22" 23rd Aug 2017
So Gearbest have replied with the following:

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your patience and valued feedback.

Kindly note that as you have open a claim on PayPal , please wait for the judgement of the PayPal.

If you have any further issues regarding your order please feel free to contact us again.

We appreciate your understanding and support.

Best regards

Elaine

Gearbest Customer Service

gearbest.com/

So I responded with:

"Why not just deal with it then I can cancel the claim with Paypal? I have posted this on several forums, also Reddit & Twitter and many people are complaining about Gearbest, why do you not just resolve this now?"

Yes, I am airing my dirty laundry and if this is not resolved in the next 48 hours I will go after them on all social media platforms from multiple accounts and keep going until it is resolved. I have connections to people in the papers too, so if they want their name muddied in front of 10 million newspaper reader in the UK, they better be ready!
It's been a long time since I was in a similar position, but from what stuck in my head is that you NEVER cancel a claim with PayPal, as once you've cancelled it it's impossible to re-make a claim.

I may be wrong, but let it run its course
Erubadhron2 m ago

It's been a long time since I was in a similar position, but from what …It's been a long time since I was in a similar position, but from what stuck in my head is that you NEVER cancel a claim with PayPal, as once you've cancelled it it's impossible to re-make a claim.I may be wrong, but let it run its course

Yep I'm not going barmy! xD
A lot of shady sellers will even try to convince you to drop a dispute because they know is; once you do, you are screwed...
Steven_W2 h, 41 m ago

So I responded with:"Why not just deal with it then I can cancel the claim …So I responded with:"Why not just deal with it then I can cancel the claim with Paypal? I have posted this on several forums, also Reddit & Twitter and many people are complaining about Gearbest, why do you not just resolve this now?"Yes, I am airing my dirty laundry and if this is not resolved in the next 48 hours I will go after them on all social media platforms from multiple accounts and keep going until it is resolved. I have connections to people in the papers too, so if they want their name muddied in front of 10 million newspaper reader in the UK, they better be ready!

You just look childish now, no UK paper is going to bother running an article about a missing phone sent internationally from a Chinese seller, I agree they're wrong but try and save face and don't make daft claims.
dcx_badass2 h, 59 m ago

You just look childish now, no UK paper is going to bother running an …You just look childish now, no UK paper is going to bother running an article about a missing phone sent internationally from a Chinese seller, I agree they're wrong but try and save face and don't make daft claims.

Why?
deleted79467
which newspaper will this story be in ?
must be all of them as no uk newspaper has a circulation of 10 million people
Edited by: "deleted79467" 24th Aug 2017
It's not what you know it's who you know. I am no one, but my friends are not! Anyway, they told me they would refund in full. We shall see.

Don't care if anyone thinks I'm childish, if I get a result then that's that.
I also ordered a phone (Umidigi Z Pro) from Gearbest - delivered by Yodel. When the parcel arrived the outer bag was intact, so my wife accepted the delivery - but unfortunately the inner bag had been ripped open and the tin inside was empty. The phone, charger and whatever else was inside had been stolen somewhere on route to me.

I'm getting polite responses from Gearbest - suggesting they will reship my phone - but nothing has actually happened yet.

You have my sympathies.
SteveJC25th Aug

I'm getting polite responses from Gearbest - suggesting they will reship …I'm getting polite responses from Gearbest - suggesting they will reship my phone - but nothing has actually happened yet.

I've had an email from Gearbest and a message from Alice (their rep on this site) to say that my replacement phone has been shipped. Fingers crossed it will be OK this time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants