Ripped off from local garage. Suggestions please.

Found 16th Oct 2017
Good morning my fellow hotukders. Please point me to the right direction.
I had my clutch replaced back in March from a local garage. A month ago it started giving me a problem. The garage have given a 1 year parts + labor guarantee, I know i'm covered.

The problem is last Saturday I took it to them, they said bring it Tuesday. The same day I took it to different garage to get a quote. What they said is the clutch was never replaced, they must have done minor repair to the old clutch and put it back again. To back it up I do have the same hunch, have the same symptoms + squeaks like the last one.

Now who should I approach to complain about this? If possible I need to find someone let's say unbiased party to have a look on to it, claim the money I paid for.

Suggestions please. Thank you in advance.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
33 Comments

AA or RAC ?

Original Poster

Darzen2 m ago

AA or RAC ?

I'm sorry but what do you mean?

Sloth/Mod

Check if the garage is listed here themotorombudsman.org/con…int If so then you can start a official complaint.

Original Poster

Syzable3 m ago

Check if the garage is listed here …Check if the garage is listed here https://www.themotorombudsman.org/consumers/make-a-complaint If so then you can start a official complaint.

I just checked now and sadly they are not. That means I don't stand a chance?

Sloth/Mod

rosan138 m ago

I just checked now and sadly they are not. That means I don't stand a …I just checked now and sadly they are not. That means I don't stand a chance?

No, you still have various options. As @juniper says speak to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards and they'll advise the correct course of action. If you can prove that the clutch wasn't change you can still pursue it yourself through the small claims court

rosan1320 m ago

I'm sorry but what do you mean?

What he means is get a check and written report from the AA or the RAC to prove if the clutch was replaced or not. You can then approach the garage with that as evidence and ask for a full refund as they clearly duped you. Make sure you check your receipt says the clutch was replaced and not repaired or they could get out of it that way. If you get no joy then contact trading standards and local newspaper and get on the social media etc

Syzable5 m ago

No, you still have various options. As @juniper says speak to Citizens …No, you still have various options. As @juniper says speak to Citizens Advice or Trading Standards and they'll advise the correct course of action. If you can prove that the clutch wasn't change you can still pursue it yourself through the small claims court

^This

Scroll down to General tips in the link below as those are pretty much your options.

bbc.co.uk/pro…nic

Otherwise your probably looking at small claims

Original Poster

Thank you so much guys. I will approach this situation as per your guidelines.

Send them an email with link to this thread on, watch how fast they move then.

sandrautos.co.uk/con…act

Have a lovely little contact box.
Edited by: "Graham1979" 16th Oct 2017

Original Poster

Graham19798 m ago

Send them an email with link to this thread on, watch how fast they move …Send them an email with link to this thread on, watch how fast they move then.WWW.sandrautos.Co.uk/contactHave a lovely little contact box.

This gave me a little chuckle. Thanks

You should approach them first anyway, at least your know where you stand.

Good luck

Before you talk to the rest of the world, discuss it with the garage first and gauge their response.
If they did not replace the clutch, the evidence isn't going anywhere.

juniper1 h, 31 m ago

Citizens Advice Bureau or local Trading Standards?

4Real20161 h, 18 m ago

^ThisScroll down to General tips in the link below as those are pretty …^ThisScroll down to General tips in the link below as those are pretty much your options.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2PpCKl15m33WlGsNhYYthqs/finding-a-reliable-mechanicOtherwise your probably looking at small claims

There is an article on this is money website they was also in the paper, the journalist asked the local trading standards to intervene when someone bought a car that had a fault that they found when driving away, turned out the car had a known fault and had been off the road for two years. Trading Standards told the journalist they couldn’t investigate the garage as they had to many cases on the go and were only going after the big cases. How times have changed.

Original Poster

parsimony38 m ago

Before you talk to the rest of the world, discuss it with the garage first …Before you talk to the rest of the world, discuss it with the garage first and gauge their response.If they did not replace the clutch, the evidence isn't going anywhere.

I will take it tommorrow and see what they come up with.

I loves a bit of name & shame!

eslick44 m ago

There is an article on this is money website they was also in the paper, …There is an article on this is money website they was also in the paper, the journalist asked the local trading standards to intervene when someone bought a car that had a fault that they found when driving away, turned out the car had a known fault and had been off the road for two years. Trading Standards told the journalist they couldn’t investigate the garage as they had to many cases on the go and were only going after the big cases. How times have changed.

Bit like the Ol' Bill then.

eslick49 m ago

There is an article on this is money website they was also in the paper, …There is an article on this is money website they was also in the paper, the journalist asked the local trading standards to intervene when someone bought a car that had a fault that they found when driving away, turned out the car had a known fault and had been off the road for two years. Trading Standards told the journalist they couldn’t investigate the garage as they had to many cases on the go and were only going after the big cases. How times have changed.

That couldn't really happen now since they introduced the Consumer Rights Act 2015, they have to give a full refund within 30 days of purchase if anything is wrong.

So is your car still in bits at the second garage. Its very unlikely that they would take out your gearbox to check the clutch then put it back in as this takes hours and would be completely pointless

Original Poster

123batman32113 m ago

So is your car still in bits at the second garage. Its very unlikely that …So is your car still in bits at the second garage. Its very unlikely that they would take out your gearbox to check the clutch then put it back in as this takes hours and would be completely pointless

No, it's with me. I took it to the second garage to check what they come up with in terms of money and issue. They did a test drive couple of times, the diagnosis was issue with the clutch.

The car did 95000 miles on the old clutch. This current one I have feels like same old. This is why I want someone to verify the clutch.

parsimony2 h, 14 m ago

Before you talk to the rest of the world, discuss it with the garage first …Before you talk to the rest of the world, discuss it with the garage first and gauge their response.If they did not replace the clutch, the evidence isn't going anywhere.

This. Give the original company a chance - what's to say the other garage gave you correct information? If after speaking to the original garage and they do not offer a viable solution, then look at other avenues.

eslick2 h, 10 m ago

Yeah, it's called underfunding of local government - it's been happening for years.

rosan131 h, 5 m ago

No, it's with me. I took it to the second garage to check what they come …No, it's with me. I took it to the second garage to check what they come up with in terms of money and issue. They did a test drive couple of times, the diagnosis was issue with the clutch. The car did 95000 miles on the old clutch. This current one I have feels like same old. This is why I want someone to verify the clutch.

Ok well your next step is taking it to original garage to be repaired under warranty. Theres no way the second garage can tell its the old clutch by roadtesting. The clutch is indide the gearbox. If its the same fault the original garage should repair it for you free off charge if theyre decent if not trading standards

Posting the picture of the invoice isnt a smart move though especially as they havent looked at it yet

Check with trading standards to see if they've had other issues with this same garage.

Yes you'll probably have to fill in an online form via CAB before to start the process

Done a quick Google search and 2 different review sites only have 1 good review on each - why did you chose that garage?

Original Poster

philphil611 h, 29 m ago

Check with trading standards to see if they've had other issues with this …Check with trading standards to see if they've had other issues with this same garage.Yes you'll probably have to fill in an online form via CAB before to start the processDone a quick Google search and 2 different review sites only have 1 good review on each - why did you chose that garage?

At that time I had to request a towing truck from insurance company to take it chosen garage. I had an arrangement with other garage but they backed down so had to take nearest one which was them.

Did they replace the clutch plate too?

Some very poor advice here as usual with car issues. The garage carrying out the initial work has agreed to check this tuesday according to op and havent refused or denied responsibility so why on earth would trading standards be a good option?

Secondly the second garage who looked at the car must have xray vision to tell its not been replaced having not taken the gearbox out

If the original garage are decent and it is a fault with parts/work then theyll fix it

That said the original garage could be cowboys and refuse to fix at which point trading standards would be the way to go but to suggest ts at this stage is absolute nonsense

Can i ask op if it was no better when you collected it why wait til now before complaining? What are the syptoms of the fault?

4Real20165 h, 20 m ago

That couldn't really happen now since they introduced the Consumer Rights …That couldn't really happen now since they introduced the Consumer Rights Act 2015, they have to give a full refund within 30 days of purchase if anything is wrong.

article was last week.

parsimony6 h, 41 m ago

Oh I think the garage has surpassed itself already!

Give them a chance to look at it and see what they say, its a case of giving them enough rope to hang themselves. Personally I would have blanked the name of the garage out on the receipt, if someone links them to this they may become awkward plus its letting them know what you know, best ploy is keep your cards close to your chest.

Without the clutcth being removed there is no way the second garage could comment on if the cluch had be changed.

I suspect you have a flywheel issue but again without taking it all apart you can't be sure.

Tip is always ask for the old parts they remove it makes them think twice before they con you. (not saying you have been)

123batman32119 h, 53 m ago

Some very poor advice here as usual with car issues. The garage carrying …Some very poor advice here as usual with car issues. The garage carrying out the initial work has agreed to check this tuesday according to op and havent refused or denied responsibility so why on earth would trading standards be a good option?Secondly the second garage who looked at the car must have xray vision to tell its not been replaced having not taken the gearbox outIf the original garage are decent and it is a fault with parts/work then theyll fix it That said the original garage could be cowboys and refuse to fix at which point trading standards would be the way to go but to suggest ts at this stage is absolute nonsenseCan i ask op if it was no better when you collected it why wait til now before complaining? What are the syptoms of the fault?

It was repaired in March and the fault has only just returned. He says so in his post.

did you sort this issue out?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants