Groups

Ripping DVDs

Ok folks.

I want to rip some of my DVD to my Hard drive to play over my Network, Through my 360 and onto my 32" HD ready TV (at the moment).

Im planning on using a media extender at some point (like popcorn hour or something, something that can be used for network media streaming)

i would like them to appear decently on my Tv but compromising File size and quality.
    I have a few of the AXXO dvd rips, but there must be a better way by compromising more with the file size.

The questions:

Whats the best software to use to do it?
    What settings do i use?
    What size and Format can i expect the finished file to be?

8 Comments

Sorry I don't quite understand. Do you want your rips to be even smaller than AXXO rips. i.e. less than 700mb? If so quality will start to be compromised a fair bit especially if you want to watch on a 32 inch screen.

I use DVDFAB5. Its got a 360 setting and is very easy to use. ripped all my daughters DVD's to stop them getting damaged.

I store all my movies on my hard drive and stream them via my 360 to watch on my TV.....

if you want good quality/near DVD quality then the movie will have to be encoded as such and doing this can take a long time......

I used AVS video converter.

Original Poster

robster113;4907781

Sorry I don't quite understand. Do you want your rips to be even smaller … Sorry I don't quite understand. Do you want your rips to be even smaller than AXXO rips. i.e. less than 700mb? If so quality will start to be compromised a fair bit especially if you want to watch on a 32 inch screen.

no no what i was saying is i dont mind them being LARGER (but not absolutely huge)

This ]video explains how to rip a dvd then encode into an avi. Ive followed it and its easy. You can adjust the output file size according to what quality you want.

If in the future you are thinking of a Popcorn Hour type media player, have a look at one I'm selling here:

hotukdeals.com/ite…ia/

Basically the eGreat has the same processor and software to the Popcorn Hour, is fully networkable, so you can stream HD movies to it and can play perfectly the MKV format, favoured for High Def 720p & 1080p movies.

As for your question on convertion software, the one I use is Mediacoder. It's a free multiformat convertion software, which will also produce MKV files from any format. You can take a 700mb AXXO file and by converting it into a Matroska (MKV) container, will usually be about 500mb, but will look the same quality as the original file. I've still yet to find a format it won't convert!! AND IT'S FREE!! You can find it here: mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Hope some of this helps.

Original Poster

stefor;4908217

If in the future you are thinking of a Popcorn Hour type media player, … If in the future you are thinking of a Popcorn Hour type media player, have a look at one I'm selling here:http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/367193/for-sale-egreat-high-def-multimedia/Basically the eGreat has the same processor and software to the Popcorn Hour, is fully networkable, so you can stream HD movies to it and can play perfectly the MKV format, favoured for High Def 720p & 1080p movies.As for your question on convertion software, the one I use is Mediacoder. It's a free multiformat convertion software, which will also produce MKV files from any format. You can take a 700mb AXXO file and by converting it into a Matroska (MKV) container, will usually be about 500mb, but will look the same quality as the original file. I've still yet to find a format it won't convert!! AND IT'S FREE!! You can find it here: http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/Hope some of this helps.

Im not really looking to downsize what i have, Im looking for the best settings to rip a file to for playback on a 32" HD ready Tv over a Network whilst not taking up a large amount of space. The 700mb AXXO rips arent good enough quality so i know i will have to use more space, i dont mind this, But i need to know settings and resolutions!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044585
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767526
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691434
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047199

See more discussions