Rise up against Sainsburys.

Found 11th Jan 2010
Having had another day of out of date stuff in Sainsburys, I've decided it's time to take action.

facebook.com/hom…php

In short:

Go to your local store, grab some out of date items and make a rough count. Then send this letter, together with your own stats (mine are used for illustrative purposes) to the chairman of Sainsburys. Together we can all Taste the Difference.

Dear Mr Hampton,

Having already tried to resolve this matter in person with your various managers and underlings I have decided instead to make a proposal to Sainsburys PLC: For each item of out-of-date stock I find on the shelves of your supermarkets, Sainsburys will pay me a £10 reward.

My trip today for example found 18 packets of beef mince dated January 9th (today is the 11th), three packets of chicken dated January 10th, two TRAYS of yoghurts dated January 9th (I shall be claiming these items individually and there were 12 to a tray) and one duck leg dated 8th January. So for todays trip Im afraid you owe me £460.

Now Im going to be generous and give you this trip on the house as it were. However in future I shall take all out of date items of stock I find to the customer services desk where I shall claim my reward. Please could you familiarise your staff with this arrangement.

Many thanks,

(YOUR NAME AND NEAREST STORE HERE)

Simply send your letter to Philip Hampton to this address:

J Sainsbury plc
33 Holborn
London
EC1 N2HT

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
56 Comments

Why bother? if you don't like the service just go to a different shop.

so you want us to purposely buy out of date goods to complain about it?

Original Poster

You do that if you like, but you could be missing out on up to £460 a trip.

Sainsburys can hardly say "No" to the suggestion can they? Otherwise they're admitting there's loads of out-of-date stock on their shelves.

Original Poster

loupomm;7503527

so you want us to purposely buy out of date goods to complain about it?

No - you find them and claim your REWARD.

Did you even read it?

I would love to be a fly on the wall as they pass your letter around the office laughing just before they throw it in the bin.:oops:

OP - they are selling goods outwith the Use By date which is an offence. Report them to Environmental Health and have them keep an eye on them - a significant number of breaches within a given time will mean they get prosecuted. Should be more effective than a facebook group.

Original Poster

moob;7503559

OP - they are selling goods outwith the Use By date which is an offence. … OP - they are selling goods outwith the Use By date which is an offence. Report them to Environmental Health and have them keep an eye on them - a significant number of breaches within a given time will mean they get prosecuted. Should be more effective than a facebook group.

I've reported them on seven occasions and taken it up with managers in store.

I have written to their head office as well.

Quite simply local authorities couldn't give a **** what supermarkets do because they get such rich backhanders.

Me and my parents use saindburys all the time and never seen or bought one product out of date, maybe ur store is just rubbish as product rotation

Scissorhands;7503571

I've reported them on seven occasions and taken it up with managers in … I've reported them on seven occasions and taken it up with managers in store. I have written to their head office as well.Quite simply local authorities couldn't give a **** what supermarkets do because they get such rich backhanders.

shop elsewhere

Scissorhands;7503571

I've reported them on seven occasions and taken it up with managers in … I've reported them on seven occasions and taken it up with managers in store. I have written to their head office as well.Quite simply local authorities couldn't give a **** what supermarkets do because they get such rich backhanders.

As someone who does the job, I'm gonna refute that statement wholeheartedly.

The problem is that there needs to be a significant number of breaches in a given time to be worthwhile taking a prosecution on the matter. If for example, you were to provide receipts and the goods purchased to the LA, they should take action.

I've been in Sainsbury's twice in the last year, and on both occasions at least one or more items were a couple of days past their sell-by date.
On the other hand, I go into Tesco's virtually daily (just up the road!) and never had that problem.
That would suggest they need to sort their stock management system out by the sounds of it

moob;7503559

OP - they are selling goods outwith the Use By date which is an offence. … OP - they are selling goods outwith the Use By date which is an offence. Report them to Environmental Health and have them keep an eye on them - a significant number of breaches within a given time will mean they get prosecuted. Should be more effective than a facebook group.

agreed-having worked for asda for 8 years I can tell you that all they are concerned about is being caught by environmental health/trading standards with stuff ACTUALLY on the shelves when they visit the store.

writing such a letter will achieve nothing,having an out of date product in your house,even with a receipt proves NOTHING because the barcodes are the same all the time-you could buy something in date and replace with an out of date one bought previously.

you will of course get a polite letter back giving the usual blurb about "always striving to avoid these things" etc but actually the only chance you have of any kind of financial recompense from a supermarket is to ask for the customer services manager,march them to the products and start complaining loudly.

once you have written a letter you are after the event.

Bumas;7503607

I've been in Sainsbury's twice in the last year, and on both occasions … I've been in Sainsbury's twice in the last year, and on both occasions at least one or more items were a couple of days past their sell-by date.On the other hand, I go into Tesco's virtually daily (just up the road!) and never had that problem.That would suggest they need to sort their stock management system out by the sounds of it

Ive jsut bought a load of yoghurts from Tesco and the sell by is today ! Im going yoghurt crazy here !

Original Poster

Where's thrush when you need it?

Banned

Quite simply local authorities couldn't give a **** what supermarkets do … Quite simply local authorities couldn't give a **** what supermarkets do because they get such rich backhanders.

i would like to see you prove that one.

Scissorhands;7503571

cant agree with that m8-actually,my problem is(and this may not be nationwide-can only speak from experience in asda)-we get WEEKS notice of visit by environmental health/trading standards,so of course everything is tip top when they come-they NEVER just walk in the door for a snap inspection which of course they should do-never really understood that aspect of it.

we actually have it up on the noticeboard-"visit in 2 weeks by"

Banned

some people really do have too much time on their hands / no life!

Original Poster

csiman;7503660

some people really do have too much time on their hands / no life!

You read it.:roll:

iNSOMANiAC;7503620

Ive jsut bought a load of yoghurts from Tesco and the sell by is today ! … Ive jsut bought a load of yoghurts from Tesco and the sell by is today ! Im going yoghurt crazy here !

U goin tonight?

thanks OP the letter made me laugh

Lol, facebook group and the letter..

Facebook is mainly for people with too much time and on their hands who are too lazy to go get real friends, and the letter seems to be for those with too much time in their hands to go find out of date stuff on purpose from supermarkets.

Goes hand in hand I think.

Or, go get a job and get off fecebook and just use a supermarket for shopping instead of looking for out of date stuff in there.

Sumy999999;7503730

Lol, facebook group and the letter..Facebook is mainly for people with … Lol, facebook group and the letter..Facebook is mainly for people with too much time and on their hands who are too lazy to go get real friends, and the letter seems to be for those with too much time in their hands to go find out of date stuff on purpose from supermarkets.Goes hand in hand I think.Or, go get a job and get off fecebook and just use a supermarket for shopping instead of looking for out of date stuff in there.

OooooooooooOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh! ;-)

you do realise that sending a letter to sainsburys demanding ten quid for every item you find is EXTORTION?

putting your name and addy on the letter is such a clever idea:whistling:

You want to propose that Sainsbury's will give you £10 to find an out of date product to Sainsbury's themselves.

Sainsbury's says: no

no offence, but you really should have thought this through more.

Original Poster

cbryanp;7503704

thanks OP the letter made me laugh

Someone sees it for the fun it is at least.

Original Poster

Facebook just deleted the group because it was "Offensive to our sponsors".

I didn't even know Facebook had sponsors.

I've never had issues with Sainsburys but I have got stuff from Tesco that turned out to be mouldy.

Do people not check dates on stuff before they buy it any more? I always do on fresh stuff.

I know, as a former supermarket worker, how poor stock rotation by lazy employee's can cause issues, as well as not checking properly when it comes to doing reductions. It's mainly the staffs fault, not the stores fault.

lol why would they pay someone £10 for every item out of date they find when they can pay someone £6 an hour to find them?

oh have you managed to get them to pay?

peodude;7504028

It's mainly the staffs fault, not the stores fault.

:? Isn't that the same thing? I mean the actual store itself couldn't hold a label gun could it?

deek72;7504092

:? Isn't that the same thing? I mean the actual store itself couldn't … :? Isn't that the same thing? I mean the actual store itself couldn't hold a label gun could it?

Not quite, the OP is slagging off Sainsburys as a company, encouraging people to write to the chairman. He also seems to suggest that it is Sainsburys as a whole knowingly selling out of date goods, whereas, in thie case, it seems to be a training issue in a specific store. Any complaints should initially be made to the manager of the store, to alert him of the problems.

iNSOMANiAC;7503558

I would love to be a fly on the wall as they pass your letter around the … I would love to be a fly on the wall as they pass your letter around the office laughing just before they throw it in the bin.:oops:

5 days after the read by date

Scissorhands;7503885

Facebook just deleted the group because it was "Offensive to our … Facebook just deleted the group because it was "Offensive to our sponsors". I didn't even know Facebook had sponsors.

How did you think they made money?

This thread is an EPIC fail I'm afraid

barky;7503652

cant agree with that m8-actually,my problem is(and this may not be … cant agree with that m8-actually,my problem is(and this may not be nationwide-can only speak from experience in asda)-we get WEEKS notice of visit by environmental health/trading standards,so of course everything is tip top when they come-they NEVER just walk in the door for a snap inspection which of course they should do-never really understood that aspect of it.we actually have it up on the noticeboard-"visit in 2 weeks by"

Barky, are you talking about the NM branch of ASDA - cause I can say we don't let them know when we're coming - unless you're being sarcastic? :lol:

Banned

Scissorhands;7503837

Someone sees it for the fun it is at least.

LOL at you big time for now trying to make out it was just for fun!

Was walking around sainsburys for hours examining all the date marked goods fun too? :-D

na, i like sainsburys dont like them shop somehwere else

Whilst looking for out of date goods see if they can sell you a life as well:)

so you will go to sainsbury's looking for on the shelf out of date produce, pick it up and then demand they pay you £10 for each item!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster

csiman;7505570

LOL at you big time for now trying to make out it was just for fun! Was … LOL at you big time for now trying to make out it was just for fun! Was walking around sainsburys for hours examining all the date marked goods fun too? :-D

I was doing my weekly shopping, dear.

You'll do it too one day when mummy kicks you out the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text