Rising cost of food, anyone else noticed.?

Its alarming the rate prices of food item are being increased within a short time. Went into local leading supermarket and yesterday and was shocked that the prices of some items had been increased twice with a period of one month?

it is really alarming if things continue this way.

Any one else noticed.?

33 Comments

Oh yeah! One item I always buy has gone from £0.98 and is now £1.52. Even bread has gone up over 10percent, what is really alarming is that salaries have gone up less than 3 %! With rising petrol, gas and electricity, most people are considerably worse off.

I blame the government.

Yeah have noticed many items I use to buy almost practically doubled in price especially from ASDA..had to revert to careful spending when buying my groceries.

Talking of rising electricity and gas costs..according to MSE prices will be on the increase this Summer/ Autumn which they are predicting 20%-35% hike..totally unjustified in my opinion grrrr.

It's largely because governments have forced farmers to stop growing food and grow bio-fuels instead. So-called environmentalists have contributed to a worldwide food shortage. The result is people in the third world starving and those of us fortunate enough to live in developed countries get rocketing prices.

Original Poster

ferret1603;2005455

It's largely because governments have forced farmers to stop growing food … It's largely because governments have forced farmers to stop growing food and grow bio-fuels instead. So-called environmentalists have contributed to a worldwide food shortage. The result is people in the third world starving and those of us fortunate enough to live in developed countries get rocketing prices.

that quite about says it all.

theres a shortage of rice, so much so that a bag of it has doubled and you are not allowed to buy more than 2 bags i think in one go!
oh yeah food wise everything seems to be creeping up

no its not the governemt
its the supermarkts making yo believe you re getting an offer when they put it on bogof or half price

Been a lot of media coverage on it over the last week.

Listening to LBC the other day - apparently dry pasta has gone up on average by a total of 67% (or something)

We're all feeling it.

Shengis;2005382

I blame the government.

Me 2, soon we'll be working for nothing and giving it all to the government.

Also with petrol prices. Most of it is tax/duty, but lately Shell and BP has announced record profits WTF???????????

Original Poster

yeah on the news a profit of 7 billion pounds was announced, how ridiculous, 7,000,000,000 in 3 months?:x

homer_213;2005513

Me 2, soon we'll be working for nothing and giving it all to the … Me 2, soon we'll be working for nothing and giving it all to the government. Also with petrol prices. Most of it is tax/duty, but lately Shell and BP has announced record profits WTF???????????

there just won't be any point working. lets all just quit our jobs and claim benefit

saayinla;2005571

yeah on the news a profit of 7 billion pounds was announced, how … yeah on the news a profit of 7 billion pounds was announced, how ridiculous, 7,000,000,000 in 3 months?:x

Ok, now consider that the producers make a few pence per gallon profit, how much has the government taken on that same sale in those 3/4 months? 50 billion? More? Who knows.

Everyone seems to be up to high dough about this.:|

yes i noticed too, i worked in a shop and i like to say i have Not put the prices up, some of the customers have a go at us because of it. Im affected by the price rises to.

Solution. Shop at Farm Foods :lol:

Went in there for the first time a week ago and was shocked how cheap they were on a lot of things, 2lb of delicious petit pois for £1.35 for example. Much cheaper than the big supermarkets

(has to be said, there stores are a bit skank though).

Don't they get their stock by buying pallot loads of almost expired/damaged returned goods from the likes of tescos?

our food bill has gone up about £15 a week, still buying the same stuff:x

leefal;2005782

Don't they get their stock by buying pallot loads of almost … Don't they get their stock by buying pallot loads of almost expired/damaged returned goods from the likes of tescos?

Some of it they may (like the noodle deals that were on here etc), but most of it's brands you never heard of. I think the future is in the smaller chains, Lidl, Netto, Aldi etc. When companies become too big they don't care about being competitive any more, just about the money.

At asda the theme seems to be to increase an item by a huge amount and then a few weeks later "rollback" to a price that is still more expensive than it was in the first place, and then they expect the customers to think they are getting a good deal!

I think the future is to start growing/raising your own. I'm off to watch every episode of The Good Life to get some tips. Ahhh, Tom & Barbara, I miss you!

bbc.co.uk/com…tml

lolololollo

kidcat;2005948

At asda the theme seems to be to increase an item by a huge amount and … At asda the theme seems to be to increase an item by a huge amount and then a few weeks later "rollback" to a price that is still more expensive than it was in the first place, and then they expect the customers to think they are getting a good deal!

Yeah i've noticed that too :x Own brand chocolate was 52p for ages and suddenly it's been 'rolled back' 60p. Lying *******s.

I'm def spending more and not really eating anymore.
Too many everyday items have gone up,bread,eggs etc.

Liddle ol' me;2005958

I think the future is to start growing/raising your own. I'm off to … I think the future is to start growing/raising your own. I'm off to watch every episode of The Good Life to get some tips. Ahhh, Tom & Barbara, I miss you!http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/goodlife/index.shtml

Second that minus the mildy amusing comedy that spawned a plethora of mediocre bbc "comedies".

Seriously , you can save a small packet from growing your own stuff. You don't even need a garden! A lot of veg is very easily grown requiring low maintenance, you can grow potatoes in bin bags ffs!
Its also a satisfying feeling knowing that you grew those carrots.

Fresh healthy food and satisfaction! What more do you need?

Banned

10 loaves of bread in egypt = 2p
10 loaves of hovis in tescos £12.60

Why don't hovis get their ingredients from the same place Egyptians do

csiman;2006300

Why don't hovis get their ingredients from the same place Egyptians do

Who says they don't. Oooh how cynical :lol:

Banned

homer_213;2005513

Me 2, soon we'll be working for nothing and giving it all to the … Me 2, soon we'll be working for nothing and giving it all to the government. Also with petrol prices. Most of it is tax/duty, but lately Shell and BP has announced record profits WTF???????????

Barely any profit came from the UK forecourts. it is from the refineries world wide for all the other things that come from oil. Shell sel it for about 33p per litre.

No idea how venezuela manages to sell it for .7p per litre though (4p per gallon) :x

The last time they increased the price of fuel in venezuela there was crazy riots. Even though they have one of the worlds largest oil reserves the fuel there is massively subsidised and has been for about 60 years.
So you try telling a nation thats been practically getting free petrol for its adults living lives that they have to pay 10p a gallon.
Communist eh? You can't take them anywhere.

It's a bit of a trade off then. Stay here and drive a car that gets 30mpg, or move to Venezuela and drive a tank that does

4 pints of Whole Milk.

Last year = £1
This year = £1.40

duckmagicuk2;2007013

4 pints of Whole Milk.Last year = £1This year = £1.40

Maybe in the supermarkets, but the three local shops nearest us charge between 95p and £1:10

I asked the guy running the closest was it a loss-leader. He laughed and said his profit margin was as high as anything else in the shop and signifcantly higher than many other items. And he doesn't follow the loss-leader concept for anything.

csiman;2006300

10 loaves of bread in egypt = 2p 10 loaves of hovis in tescos £12.60 Why … 10 loaves of bread in egypt = 2p 10 loaves of hovis in tescos £12.60 Why don't hovis get their ingredients from the same place Egyptians do

From what I heard, the bread is subsidized in Egypt and they had riots recently because of some people were abusing the subsidy system.

Liddle ol' me;2007036

Maybe in the supermarkets, but the three local shops nearest us charge … Maybe in the supermarkets, but the three local shops nearest us charge between 95p and £1:10

I swear there's some collusion going on. It's the same price at every single shop...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam23
    2. Sad news about Barcelona2077
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764100
    4. How dangerous is Donald trump?911

See more discussions