Groups

Risk of big earthquake on San Andreas fault rises after quake swarm at Salton Sea

I watched San Andreas on NowTV a few days ago, and just noticed this reported. Some are reporting that the 'Big One' might not be far away.

The rumbling started Monday morning deep under the Salton Sea. A rapid succession of small earthquakes — three measuring above magnitude 4.0 — began rupturing near Bombay Beach, continuing for more than 24 hours. Before the swarm started to fade, more than 200 earthquakes had been recorded.

latimes.com/loc…tml

15 Comments

Smells like Lex Luther is at work...

I aint gonna sweat it. The Rock got **** done once, he'll do it again.
    Edited by moderator: "." 1st Oct 2016

I think we'd survive when the next big one happens.

You would like to think the worlds richest country was in some way prepared for something like this
    then you remember New Orleans and the super dome

earthquake.usgs.gov/ear…ap/

Preliminary calculations indicate that, as of 12:00 pm (PDT) on Sept. … Preliminary calculations indicate that, as of 12:00 pm (PDT) on Sept. 30, 2016, there is 0.006% to 0.2% chance (less than 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 500) of a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake being triggered on the Southern San Andreas Fault within the next seven days through October 7, with the likelihood decreasing over time. This range is estimated using several models developed in California to assess foreshock/aftershock probabilities, and the lower bound is about equal to the average chance of a magnitude 7 earthquake occurring on the Southern San Andreas Fault in any given week.These revised probabilities are lower than those made earlier this week, due to decreasing swarm activity. The probabilities may change if the swarm activity increases or decreases.

earthquake.usgs.gov/mis…php

Edited by: "Wongy110" 1st Oct 2016

It must be the Russians fault,everything else is.?

It'll make for a great movie in a few years...

This is worrying, planning to go to LA...

shauneco

depends on what you mean by survive, economic fall out will make the crash in the recent years look like a drop in the ocean

op if it happens in the next few weeks I wounder if you will get a vip bandge?

Original Poster

miles136

op if it happens in the next few weeks I wounder if you will get a vip … op if it happens in the next few weeks I wounder if you will get a vip bandge?

What's a vip bandage or did you mean something else?

shauneco

Unless it's strong enough to set off the super volcano under Yellowstone! Then we are all royally screwed. . .

H.A.R.P

miles136

depends on what you mean by survive, economic fall out will make the … depends on what you mean by survive, economic fall out will make the crash in the recent years look like a drop in the ocean

The East coast of America would probably survive, Obviously it'd cost them alot of money.
    steve1221

Unless it's strong enough to set off the super volcano under Yellowstone! … Unless it's strong enough to set off the super volcano under Yellowstone! Then we are all royally screwed. . .

We wouldn't instantly die, It could possibly create a nuclear winter, Devastating as that might be we would probably still survive, We couldn't really be much further away than the San Andreas fault. If we did perish we would probably be the last to perish and suffer the most as we would probably basically starve to death that's after resorting cannibalism etc etc, Fun times for sure lol.

shauneco

The East coast of America would probably survive, Obviously it'd cost … The East coast of America would probably survive, Obviously it'd cost them alot of money.We wouldn't instantly die, It could possibly create a nuclear winter, Devastating as that might be we would probably still survive, We couldn't really be much further away than the San Andreas fault. If we did perish we would probably be the last to perish and suffer the most as we would probably basically starve to death that's after resorting cannibalism etc etc, Fun times for sure lol.

agree northeners would last the longest, as we are used to nuclear winters, but we may have to start wearing coats
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1332
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277960
      3. word association Game72944191
      4. Best advert ever to be seen.1820

See more discussions