Risky Ebay Internet Security purchases?

Posted 5th Nov
Like a chump chop I've purchased a seat of Internet Protection rather than an individual licence.
No mention of being a seat.

They've good feedback / sold loads BUT is there a risk?? (I've taken it off to be safe)
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
seat of Internet Protection?
markvirgo05/11/2019 17:55

seat of Internet Protection?

They must hold the license and selling the seats (i.e. 5 or 10 seats aka as user)
ChuckTheDuck05/11/2019 17:57

They must hold the license and selling the seats (i.e. 5 or 10 seats aka …They must hold the license and selling the seats (i.e. 5 or 10 seats aka as user)

So you mean you are sharing the licence. No issue with it as they can't access your PC.
Did you download the software from the internet security site and then apply the code or did the seller send it to you?.
markvirgo05/11/2019 18:07

So you mean you are sharing the licence. No issue with it as they can't …So you mean you are sharing the licence. No issue with it as they can't access your PC. Did you download the software from the internet security site and then apply the code or did the seller send it to you?.

I added the ebay product key to my 11 mth old product.

As suggested above I have since reinstalled with my original proper licence which expires soon.

Other seller listings say you can't add their key to your account SO I watched out for this. (still bitten)
ChuckTheDuck05/11/2019 18:14

I added the ebay product key to my 11 mth old product. As suggested above …I added the ebay product key to my 11 mth old product. As suggested above I have since reinstalled with my original proper licence which expires soon. Other seller listings say you can't add their key to your account SO I watched out for this. (still bitten)

You haven't been bitten. download the latest version 2020 from the security site and add the licence key and you will be ok to use. I have been using licence keys like this for years
It's a subscription rather than a license. Where my original says 1 of 1 LICENSES USED the new ebay one said several used.
ChuckTheDuck05/11/2019 18:27

It's a subscription rather than a license. Where my original says 1 of 1 …It's a subscription rather than a license. Where my original says 1 of 1 LICENSES USED the new ebay one said several used.

As long as it works then don't worry.
You don't need to pay for internet security. Windows Defender, an on demand scanner such as Malwarebytes, an ad blocker, and common sense is all you need. Plenty of free options, too. Sophos Home is very good (stick to Windows Defender if you subscribe to the ''if a product is free, you are the product'' mantra, though.. Absolute madness to be paying for internet security software.
bo0td05/11/2019 18:54

You don't need to pay for internet security. Windows Defender, an on …You don't need to pay for internet security. Windows Defender, an on demand scanner such as Malwarebytes, an ad blocker, and common sense is all you need. Plenty of free options, too. Sophos Home is very good (stick to Windows Defender if you subscribe to the ''if a product is free, you are the product'' mantra, though.. Absolute madness to be paying for internet security software.

each to their own (saves begging ads and updating is taken care of)
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 5th Nov
How much did you pay
Norseg05/11/2019 22:32

How much did you pay

£8 (last year paid 9.50) both 1 user listing. (Diff sellers, one genuine, other cooking the books)
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 5th Nov
ChuckTheDuck05/11/2019 22:51

£8 (last year paid 9.50) both 1 user listing. (Diff sellers, one genuine, …£8 (last year paid 9.50) both 1 user listing. (Diff sellers, one genuine, other cooking the books)

What programme is it can't you just crack it
Seems a bit expensive for shared keys

Probably get the licenses from a leak
Norton. Looks like pulling fast one. Norton could pull the licence and all users end up with nothing. (not suppose to be sold individually)
If the add was genuinely misleading, report him to Norton & they will give you 13 pieces of silver (in the shape of a license).

Alternatively ask him for a refund & if he doesn't play nice, install it on 4 devices (he can boot them off, but how will he know which is which). TBH £8.50 seems steep for a single use when 10 can often be had for £20.
Edited by: "jnm21" 5th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants