Risky?: Selling Mobile on eBay

Found 6th Apr
Hi guys,

Essentially, I've got a brand new sealed, OnePlus 3T that I have received but don't really need, so would prefer the cash towards something else.

I've put it on eBay, but in my mind, I have this cynical view that as it's sealed, the buyer could claim that when opened, what they expected wasn't in there, or worse - nothing was in the box at all.

Is it wiser to simply open the seal describe it as Brand New?

Shame we live in such a cruel world, that I have to think like this lol

Thanks.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
Was just about to sell mine on Ebay, until the wife dropped it in a jar of Mayonnaise.

Flipping Hellman!
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 6th Apr
deleted579596th Apr

I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived …I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived to say it was faulty! All I will say is Paypal & eBay will 100% always side with the buyer, regardless..

^^ This.

With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn.
40 Comments
Sell it here
avforums.com/for…30/
Expect to send before payment though.
It isn't risk free. Maybe try one of the many companies who'll buy the phone off you CEX, MusicMagpie, Envirofone etc etc
deleted579596th Apr

I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived …I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived to say it was faulty! All I will say is Paypal & eBay will 100% always side with the buyer, regardless..

^^ This.

With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn.
CEX, MusicMagpie and Envirofone are better options than eBay.
davewave31 m ago

It isn't risk free. Maybe try one of the many companies who'll buy the …It isn't risk free. Maybe try one of the many companies who'll buy the phone off you CEX, MusicMagpie, Envirofone etc etc

david_wavid6 m ago

CEX, MusicMagpie and Envirofone are better options than eBay.

They won't take un-opened goods, they have to open it to check it? Though a good option.

I would go the gumtree/Facebook/ Shpock route but suspect it would still require opening. So whatever option it's best to open the box.
Edited by: "catbeans" 6th Apr
Was just about to sell mine on Ebay, until the wife dropped it in a jar of Mayonnaise.

Flipping Hellman!
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 6th Apr
I’ve used music magpie twice without issue. Not a bad price considering the fees and stuff you pay with eBay.
eBay is fine unless you are unlucky enough to come up against a scammer. You will lose if you do, but that’s a small percentage of eBay users
----18 m ago

eBay will side with the buyer no matter what. The buyer could make up the …eBay will side with the buyer no matter what. The buyer could make up the most ridiculous excuse ever and ebay would refund them. Its SHOCKING the treatment sellers get, i cant imagine being a large outlet store like some of the retailers have, they must deal with tons of shit.A few weeks ago i sold a £500 item and the buyer didnt want to sign for it (presumably so he can claim it never arrived and get a refund) so he said that the delivery driver didnt even come. I called up DHL who said the buyer refused the delivery. I decided it wasn't worth any further risks and that i would return the shipment to myself and thus refund the buyer the costs minus postage (which is fair). In the meantime, ebay charged me £46 for selling fees and the buyer left a negative feedback. Ebay surprisingly removed it however a couple days later, ebay decided out of the blue to refund the ENTIRE cost to the buyer while i still paid £20 for postage which i would not be able to get back. I then spoke on the phone to a customer service rep who advised me i would not get the fees back either since it was escalated!?So ebay effectively charged me £46 to let some buyer attempt to scam me and then refunded him the entire item cost so i lost postage too. £66 lost because ebay are incompetant.

That's exactly why I would never sell anything of any real value on there. And if the OP reads that then goes ahead and sells it on there, then at least you tried.
deeky5 m ago

That's exactly why I would never sell anything of any real value on there. …That's exactly why I would never sell anything of any real value on there. And if the OP reads that then goes ahead and sells it on there, then at least you tried.

I've charge-backed the final value fees with my bank so hopefully i get the fees back if nothing else
----7 m ago

I've charge-backed the final value fees with my bank so hopefully i get …I've charge-backed the final value fees with my bank so hopefully i get the fees back if nothing else

Shouldn't ebay refund the FVF if the sale didn't go through?
deeky5 m ago

Shouldn't ebay refund the FVF if the sale didn't go through?

Thats what their own terms say but apparently since my buyers dispute was escalated i dont get the fee returned
----18 m ago

Thats what their own terms say but apparently since my buyers dispute was …Thats what their own terms say but apparently since my buyers dispute was escalated i dont get the fee returned

If this had happened to me I seriously doubt I could even carry on giving them my money
BARKMAN46 m ago

I’ve used music magpie twice without issue. Not a bad price considering t …I’ve used music magpie twice without issue. Not a bad price considering the fees and stuff you pay with eBay. eBay is fine unless you are unlucky enough to come up against a scammer. You will lose if you do, but that’s a small percentage of eBay users

second that. its not worthy to sell in ebay and get headache abt feedback or scam or bla bla. sold to music magpie and got next day payment (never got same day).
deeky15 m ago

If this had happened to me I seriously doubt I could even carry on giving …If this had happened to me I seriously doubt I could even carry on giving them my money

Trust me i dont. The only reason i used them in the first place is that they get much more traffic than anywhere else. I may just have to look into Amazon marketplace, although im not so sure that its any better in terms of buyers demanding the world. If they treat sellers even the slightest bit better, then it's probably a good move. I've heard it has lower rates too
Edited by: "----" 6th Apr
Sold over 10 phones (new/used) on eBay and never had a problem. You're reaching out to a wider audience and you'll get more money than you'd get from i.e CEX, music magpie.
There needs to be some sort of actual physical eBay shop where items of high value can be verified and both the Buyer and Seller can meet there and agree a sale. I know it sounds unrealistic but I can see sellers leaving in their droves if everyone has a bad experience selling phones on eBay!
redcantona2 h, 25 m ago

Sell it …Sell it herehttps://www.avforums.com/forums/mobile-phone-classifieds.330/Expect to send before payment though.

+1
RiverDragon840 m ago

Sold over 10 phones (new/used) on eBay and never had a problem. You're …Sold over 10 phones (new/used) on eBay and never had a problem. You're reaching out to a wider audience and you'll get more money than you'd get from i.e CEX, music magpie.

So have thousands of others. That doesn't eliminate the risk.
deeky21 m ago

So have thousands of others. That doesn't eliminate the risk.

We're all aware of the risks in selling on eBay. It's the best platform to sell on though, especially with the £1 FVF.

''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn''

Really?
RiverDragon810 m ago

We're all aware of the risks in selling on eBay. It's the best platform to …We're all aware of the risks in selling on eBay. It's the best platform to sell on though, especially with the £1 FVF.''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn''Really?

Well the OP obviously isn't aware of the risks, that's why he's asking.

And you've never heard of anyone getting scammed for their phone on eBay? Really?
deeky9 m ago

Well the OP obviously isn't aware of the risks, that's why he's asking. …Well the OP obviously isn't aware of the risks, that's why he's asking. And you've never heard of anyone getting scammed for their phone on eBay? Really?

I referring to your naive comment ''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn'' because I've money to burn right?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 6th Apr
Personally I wont sell anything of high value on EBAY any more. Last time it was a PS4, and within a day of posting the buyer claimed to have had her account hacked. Too many dishonest people on the site. Id rather get less for my items selling elsewhere than risk getting scammed.
RiverDragon855 m ago

I referring to your naive comment ''With the amount of mobile phone scams …I referring to your naive comment ''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn'' because I've money to burn right?

Maybe you haven't? But you're risking any money you can or can't afford to lose by selling high value phones on eBay. It's up to you mate, it's your money. You said you've not had any problems up to now. That's great, and I hope it stays that way, but that's you. I can show you any number of people who haven't been as lucky. There are some in this very thread.
deeky32 m ago

Maybe you haven't? But you're risking any money you can or can't afford to …Maybe you haven't? But you're risking any money you can or can't afford to lose by selling high value phones on eBay. It's up to you mate, it's your money. You said you've not had any problems up to now. That's great, and I hope it stays that way, but that's you. I can show you any number of people who haven't been as lucky. There are some in this very thread.

So you've base all your opinions on other peoples experiences without having any of your own experience with selling on eBay. Fair enough to the people on here who have and they're expressing their views.
RiverDragon830 m ago

So you've base all your opinions on other peoples experiences without …So you've base all your opinions on other peoples experiences without having any of your own experience with selling on eBay. Fair enough to the people on here who have and they're expressing their views.

If you like mate. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have no experience selling on eBay?

33590286-W0yXn.jpg
So I assume it's now ok for me to express a view?
Edited by: "deeky" 6th Apr
deeky19 m ago

If you like mate. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have no …If you like mate. I'm not sure where you get the idea that I have no experience selling on eBay? [Image] So I assume it's now ok for me to express a view?

Your just echoing other people experiences and making flippant remarks on here without having no experience of being scammed yourself. You're one of these people who have formed their opinion from reading what other people have gone through. Now you're spreading that negativity on.
RiverDragon812 m ago

Your just echoing other people experiences and making flippant remarks on …Your just echoing other people experiences and making flippant remarks on here without having no experience of being scammed yourself. You're one of these people who have formed their opinion from reading what other people have gone through. Now you're spreading that negativity on.

I don't know why you're arguing mate. No, I haven't been scammed myself, you're quite right, but you don't have to look far to find people, and reports of people, who have. As I said, there are several in this thread. I'm not even sure what the point is you are trying to make. Are you saying people don;t get scammed out of their phones on eBay?
its not the value thats the problem its what you sale that attracts the scammers
deeky22 m ago

I don't know why you're arguing mate. No, I haven't been scammed myself, …I don't know why you're arguing mate. No, I haven't been scammed myself, you're quite right, but you don't have to look far to find people, and reports of people, who have. As I said, there are several in this thread. I'm not even sure what the point is you are trying to make. Are you saying people don;t get scammed out of their phones on eBay?

I'm not saying people don't get scammed on eBay but it's not all doom and gloom. This section is ideal platform for people to have a moan and to vent their anger/frustration, so you're obviously going to read horror/negative stories about eBay. People who haven't been affected by selling on eBay won't be saying anything right? So here you will read negative after negative comments.

This has affected your opinion and this is why you made this flippant comment ''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn'' which is incorrect. I sell on eBay because you make the most money from a wider audience.
RiverDragon818 m ago

I'm not saying people don't get scammed on eBay but it's not all doom and …I'm not saying people don't get scammed on eBay but it's not all doom and gloom. This section is ideal platform for people to have a moan and to vent their anger/frustration, so you're obviously going to read horror/negative stories about eBay. People who haven't been affected by selling on eBay won't be saying anything right? So here you will read negative after negative comments. This has affected your opinion and this is why you made this flippant comment ''With the amount of mobile phone scams on eBay, anyone who sells one on there must have money to burn'' which is incorrect. I sell on eBay because you make the most money from a wider audience.

Of course you do but the wider audience and higher prices also comes with an associated extra risk. If you're happy to take that risk that's your choice. And I'm not saying that it's all doom and gloom. I have made a nice few grand over the last year so that would be silly for me to say. I was talking specifically about the disproportionately high number of mobile phone scams.
deeky14 m ago

Of course you do but the wider audience and higher prices also comes with …Of course you do but the wider audience and higher prices also comes with an associated extra risk. If you're happy to take that risk that's your choice. And I'm not saying that it's all doom and gloom. I have made a nice few grand over the last year so that would be silly for me to say. I was talking specifically about the disproportionately high number of mobile phone scams.

The 'disproportionately high number of mobile phone scams' is because people come on to this section to say what happened to them and to ask for advice. You won't get people who successfully sold their phone on eBay posting about their experience on here.
Do you understand what I'm saying, you will only read about the negatives on here. This has affected your opinion about selling a phone on eBay. If this section never existed then you would be none the wiser and you wouldn't had made your flippant remark.
RiverDragon82 m ago

The 'disproportionately high number of mobile phone scams' is because …The 'disproportionately high number of mobile phone scams' is because people come on to this section to say what happened to them and to ask for advice. You won't get people who successfully sold their phone on eBay posting about their experience on here. Do you understand what I'm saying, you will only read about the negatives on here. This has affected your opinion about selling a phone on eBay. If this section never existed then you would be none the wiser and you wouldn't had made your flippant remark.

To be honest mate you're boring me now. If you want an argument go and look somewhere else.
Take note of imei

Send recorded

On parcel write 'not to be given to recipient unless signed ' sold plenty of phones on ebay to date and by doing this I've never been scammed
redcantona7 h, 35 m ago

Sell it …Sell it herehttps://www.avforums.com/forums/mobile-phone-classifieds.330/Expect to send before payment though.

Hi did they take paypal? Do they take fees?
deeky5 h, 57 m ago

If this had happened to me I seriously doubt I could even carry on giving …If this had happened to me I seriously doubt I could even carry on giving them my money

Once I've finished selling majority of items i have left im coming off. However I've never been scammed selling phones. Always take note of imei and send recorded. Just a shame that no other selling site has the same audience as ebay. Find people on Facebook selling and gumtree constantly mess sellers around
Look on here, I've found that there valuations are some of the highest. I sold my honor 7 a month ago and got £98,no hassle or arguments. Music magpie offered me £35.

Honor buy your phone
machomansavage50 m ago

Hi did they take paypal? Do they take fees?

There are no fees and you can take whatever payment you want. Just make sure that they have sufficient feedback so you feel comfortable dealing with them. It's very much like the selling pages they had here before they closed them.
redcantona5 m ago

There are no fees and you can take whatever payment you want. Just make …There are no fees and you can take whatever payment you want. Just make sure that they have sufficient feedback so you feel comfortable dealing with them. It's very much like the selling pages they had here before they closed them.

Awesome thank u
pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml You should find this link quite useful. You can set your buyer requirements so saves some hassle.
The buyer wasnt the issue for me! It was Dpd who stole the phone and I had to claim and get a refund
deleted579596th Apr

I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived …I sold a faulty iPhone 5C on ebay, I got a paypal claim the day it arrived to say it was faulty! All I will say is Paypal & eBay will 100% always side with the buyer, regardless.. A few years back I sold a brand new iPhone 5s when they were new it was sealed the buyer got cold feet literally 10 minutes after buying and paying and started with he want his money back.. he filed a complaint with Paypal in the first hour of sale on the complaint he claimed he suspected it was a scam and I refused to refund him, I had not of course, I barely had chance to reply, Paypal blocked my account.. refunded him and then made me jump through hoops they wanted receipts to confirm proof of ownership etc to get the account unlocked, I couldnt provide a receipt as such only an invoice and they wouldnt accept that, that account is still locked I cannot even get it deleted or remove my bank, card, email etc details from it.

This I why I won't use eBay & PayPal oh well there something else
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants