Road Bike Advice: ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2

Found 10th May 2015
Evening

Right... Im originally from the darker side of riding (MTB) and recently signed up for a few Charity bike rides so went out bought a Whyte Dorset that was on offer happy days!
A few events done I'm starting to like lycra and roads....
So ive decided upgrade time, Ive been looking around at this is my wish list:-
Comfortable/Sportive Geometry
Hydraulic Disks (Im sorry but I just dont feel right with rim brakes, test rode an ultegra at weekend felt ok but still - I think this is due to always riding MTB and just knowing the power is there. I've got TRP HyRD on the Dorset i have and they're spot on)

Would also be lovely to give Di2 ago hence the Xeon am i overlooking any other bikes willing to stretch to 2.5k which I know isn't the typical Di2 bracket.

Is the carbon worth doing or save £200ish and go for the Rose DX 3100?

Also its worth noting I`m 14st 7 / 92kg I've seen a thread saving this sort of weight on the wheels (DT Swiss R23) might not be a great pairing?

Do like the Ribble Gran Fondo just missing an option to upgrade brakes.

Would really appreciate any input

21 Comments

Original Poster

Just for reference spec I`ve been considering:-
Wheels: DT Swiss R23 Spline
Tyre: 25 Conti GP 4000S II (Have these on the Whyte Dorset too)
Crankset: Ultegra 6800 Di2
Rear Mech: Ultegra 6870
Cassette: Ultegra 6800 (11-32 I know it can be frowned on but I enjoy hills!)
Brakes: Shimano STR785 / RS785
Seat Post: Ritchey WCS Carbon Monolink Flex (Is this worth swapping this new to me?!)
Saddle: Selle Italia SLS Carbonio
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Streem II
Stem: Ritchey WCS C220

ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2 is a Cyclocross bike by the way. Looks good.

hi I bought a ribble bike with di2 earlier this year and so far so good. It's easy to change and I like the the front self trimming as I move up the gears. As for disc brakes even ultegra are poor, though better than some when compared to hydraulic disc that I have on a mountain bike but generally your speeds will be higher and on a 700x23 tyre there is a lot less rubber on the road and rim brakes give you feel that hyd disc don't

The ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2 isnt a cyclocross bike, its a full on road bike. the maunfacturer has the gears as cyclocross but these are the standard Ultegra Shifters.

After doing alot of research I just ordered one this week, I couldn't find anything that matched the value. One thing worth noting is that there is a 6 week waiting time on orders.

Best advice is to don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades. Until you get down to a 70kg lean physique then weight saving on the bike is both expensive and unnecessary. You're buying stuff to make you faster but why? unless you're going to go racing it's pretty pointless. Whyte is a decent brand so personally i'd stick with that until you loose a lot more weight!
Edited by: "Carley" 11th May 2015

Oh, and If you haven't done already then get a bike fit done, this would be the best place to spend your cash.

I've been seriously temped by their aluminium CX bike with Di2 and hydraulic brake, I'm also primarily a mountain biker but have a Trek 1.5 for miles on the road (bog standard road bike), I dislike the rim brakes through particularly on long wet descents and the CX bike should be less skittish. I normally buy from my local bike shop but can't find anything even remotely comparable for the price particularly as most mainstream manufacturers don't offer higher end parts on aluminium frames.

Rose support seems helpful and I've a couple of friends with Rose MTB's without issue although check sizing very carefully. The only real downside seems to be the long wait, the bike I'm interested in is a couple of months order time so I've decided to wait and see if I stick with the road bike or get bored of it again as it didn't get much use last year.

John

Original Poster

Thanks all for the comments, Yeah the DX/CDX sits in the "Grand Fondo" the frame is basically the Grand Fondo frame and endurance/long distance geometry with discs. As others have said coming from MTB background rim brakes just don't fill me with any form of confidence especially on descents.
I love the Whyte I currently have but this is my last chance to upgrade and I take them while I can!

I don't think I could ever drop anywhere near 70kg I'm a stocky barrel shape and even hitting 14st will be a challenge!

Ive specced Conti GP 4000S II @ 25 (Have 28mm on the Whyte) but they dont offer this option, The appeal of carbon is more the fact that its only £200ish more than weight saving Im not going to get a chance to upgrade for at least 3 years so do I take the punt know while I can!

Compared to alot of roadies weight means very little to me in most cases I carry spares galore so dropping the kit I carry would make a big difference but I prefer the re-assurance I can get the bike up and running and continue on.

Had a problem with my card so awaiting a new one so gives me a few more days to look around but as others have said Im struggling to find anything even remotely close for the money, I called in my LBS at weekend (bought last four bikes there) but he said the nearest they have is around the 4K mark

Thanks again for all your input

Original Poster

Forgot to mention I did call them with all measurement; weight, height, inseam, shoulder and torso. And advised me to go for the 55cm (Currently ride a 54cm) as the 53cm would be too short due to Torso measurements and glad I did as the website shows a 53cm recommendation.
Really helpful and said wheels should be fine but will look to see if they can do anything else as an option and get back to me, And regardless of choice if there is any issues the returns is no quibble if within the first month, 2 year warranty of all components and free replacement/repairs on wheels specced with bike, 5 year warranty on frame ( I had hoped it was more)

Personally if you love the bike you have, I'd stick with it. Change the wheels to some high spec aero carbon's if you want to spend some money. But most important is to make sure you get a proper bike fit in a shop, just telling someone your measurements over the phone is not a bike fit.

These would fit your budget with some left over for a proper bike fit
Edited by: "Carley" 11th May 2015

MancVillan

The ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2 isnt a cyclocross bike, its a full on road … The ROSE XEON CDX 3100 Di2 isnt a cyclocross bike, its a full on road bike. the maunfacturer has the gears as cyclocross but these are the standard Ultegra Shifters.After doing alot of research I just ordered one this week, I couldn't find anything that matched the value. One thing worth noting is that there is a 6 week waiting time on orders.

It has space for 33m tyres and has cyclocross forks. It's a cyclocross bike. The shifters aren't what make it CX.
CDX usually means CX any way and that's in the name of the bike

Edited by: "rev6" 11th May 2015

rev6

It has space for 33m tyres and has cyclocross forks. It's a cyclocross … It has space for 33m tyres and has cyclocross forks. It's a cyclocross bike. The shifters aren't what make it CX.CDX usually means CX any way and that's in the name of the bike

No. Rose call their CX bikes 'Cross' and they're in a separate section where you won't find the OP's bike:

rosebikes.co.uk/pro…ke/

John

Johnmcl7

No. Rose call their CX bikes 'Cross' and they're in a separate section … No. Rose call their CX bikes 'Cross' and they're in a separate section where you won't find the OP's bike:http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bike/John

They look the same to me. The only difference is the size of the chainring. CX bikes are off road capable and the OP's bike is.
Edited by: "rev6" 11th May 2015

Johnmcl7

No. Rose call their CX bikes 'Cross' and they're in a separate section … No. Rose call their CX bikes 'Cross' and they're in a separate section where you won't find the OP's bike:http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bike/John

It's all getting a bit confusing really. The CDX and DX look the same apart from the size of the chainring.

rev6

It's all getting a bit confusing really. The CDX and DX look the same … It's all getting a bit confusing really. The CDX and DX look the same apart from the size of the chainring.

The DX uses an aluminium frame, the CDX is carbon.

John

Johnmcl7

The DX uses an aluminium frame, the CDX is carbon.John

So what's DX then?

rev6

So what's DX then?

As in what does it stand for? I don't know if it does stand for anything as it's a disc version of the GF road bike as far as I'm aware.

John

Original Poster

You've both lost me!

Get yourself a single speed, never look back!!!
http://www.finest-bikes.de/var/galerie/3099.jpg
Edited by: "cycleman" 12th May 2015

Whyte901

You've both lost me!

Don't worry, the important part is you're right that it's a road bike and that in this case the CDX name is just coincidentally similar to CX.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text