Road Bike Fork Materials?

Found 31st Mar
Hi All,

Apologies for a potentially stupid question but I’m looking at buying a road bike quite soon and know next to nothing about them. I see that one of the decisions to be made is of which fork material to get. My understanding is that carbon forks are the most expensive, followed by aluminium and then it seems that the cheapest bikes tend to have steel forks. Is this a general rule or have I got it wrong, and would getting a bike with steels forks (versus aluminium) be a bad move? I’d be looking to do a 20 mile round trip a day, mainly through the London metropolitan area.

Thanks!
Community Updates
Road BikeAskBike
6 Comments
U can get a good deal with carbon forks but depends on ur budget . I got Boardman road sport limited edition with carbon forks for £500 2 yrs ago. They reckon it helps with bumps on the road etc... Have a good shop about. Most will say it's the weight advantage but shaving a few grams from the bike wouldn't be noticeable.
Original Poster
richje1001 h, 16 m ago

U can get a good deal with carbon forks but depends on ur budget . I got …U can get a good deal with carbon forks but depends on ur budget . I got Boardman road sport limited edition with carbon forks for £500 2 yrs ago. They reckon it helps with bumps on the road etc... Have a good shop about. Most will say it's the weight advantage but shaving a few grams from the bike wouldn't be noticeable.

Thanks, there are just so many options! I could go up to £500 but as it’s my first road bike, maybe would prefer to stay a little lower in case I don’t actually use it as much as I hope I will...
Take a look at carrera in Halfords. Ideal first bike. There's some decent spec ones for around £300 to get u into road biking. Mate of mine has one don't think they do that model anymore and it's great. Its not going to be up there with cube, specialized etc... but for the money they are greater starters.
Slightly wrong as steel comes in different grades.

Carbon is the lightest and has the greatest flex. Would be my top choice on a road but carbon on failure it is catastrophic.

Good steel is next, heaviest but behind carbon greatest tensile strength and flex. Continuously fatigues and rust a consideration. Would be second in my list if choices.

Aluminium next is lighter than steel with least flex and fastest rate of fatigue.

Cheap steel on entry level bikes.

Of course only talking material and fork, wheels and tyres could be argued as more important on buzz.

Plenty of choices around £500 for very good starter bikes. Good luck.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 31st Mar
LewisBateman5 h, 1 m ago

Thanks, there are just so many options! I could go up to £500 but as it’s m …Thanks, there are just so many options! I could go up to £500 but as it’s my first road bike, maybe would prefer to stay a little lower in case I don’t actually use it as much as I hope I will...

If you're just getting into it then I'd go into a good bike shop and buy whichever bike feels the best.

Leave this sort of discussion until you know what normal is and have an idea what improvements you'd like.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions