Groups

Road biking

Picking up a specialized allez at the end of the week and im looking for advice on what accesories and clothing etc i will need to get as i have nothing at all at the moment.

12 Comments

Good choice. WHat Allez are you getting. I'm hopefully picking mine up on Tuesday. I went for the Elite.
    In terms of accesseries, make sure you have a decent lock (one which will cover you for insurance if it is stolen), padded bottoms (as the saddles on road bikes are not overly comfy), lights and maybe cleets (you need to make sure the right pedals are fitted for this). Depending on your needs a jersey may be useful. If you are using it for other purposes, a rack maybe a good idea to if you need to carry stuff too.

Not all of these are essential straight away and can be expensive, so if your low on money prioritise what you need most, and get the rest when you can.

how much?
    for a bycicle?
    I wouldn't pay that much for a car. lol.

A helmet!

helmet, lights, BIG lock.

picking up my Claud Butler in a couple of weeks... recommend a camelback or something similar. .. saves reching for your bottle everytime ..

you can also fit all your spares in this if it has a zip area.. pump/spare innertube / multitool etc ..

How are you getting on with the bike?

I got the Allez Comp in the end, and I am loving it. I'm used to cycling a mountain bike, and the road bike has cut my work commute down from 30-35 mins to 17 mins this morning. I was running very late though.

still awaiting my bike
    cyclescheme thing is taking their time getting me the vouchers !
    hopefully next week should have them and i can start the 25 mile each way trip to work ... lol

Banned

arcangel111

still awaiting my bike cyclescheme thing is taking their time getting … still awaiting my bike cyclescheme thing is taking their time getting me the vouchers ! hopefully next week should have them and i can start the 25 mile each way trip to work ... lol

25 miles each way? That's gonna hurt. I do 9.8 miles each way and that has my thighs burning come Friday.

25 miles each way is madness!

BY the end of the week the legs will defo start ache.
    Cyclescheme are usually good with issuing the vouchers, best to check with your employer first. Cyclescheme will give you the invoice number, and you chase that with your finance department.

Out of interest, what accesseries did you go for in the end?

a £450 claude butler bike ( san remo 2011 )
    specialized echelon helmet
    set of lights
    pump
    specialized bottle/cage

think thats it ..

i work 12 hour shifts ( 2 days 2 nights ) will be cycling for the 2 night shifts.

I do 8 miles on a weekday and between 40-60 off road at weekends
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions