Road Force Balancing East Midlands

Found 5th Jun
Hi
I'm struggling to balance wheels on my car. I've had it done 3 times now and its basically impossible to get a refund for this kind of job. Getting bit fed up now

Does anyone know a garage that does road force balancing around East Midlands area and possibly the price per corner?

PS> It is not a mechanical issue. There is no balancing problem when I swap to different wheels and there is no damage/buckling to the wheels either.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

You mean no obvious damage to the wheels? Have the wheels been repaired? tyres taken off to check inside tyres?
other wheels ok - are they the same size?

What are the tyres? Are they cheapies? Sure its a balance issue not a tyre issue?

Do the wheels seem to balance OK on the machine or not?
Are you doing anything that might have an impact - spacers for example? Correct wheels - ie not needing offset bolts and hub diameter correct?

Edited by: "mas99" 5th Jun

Original Poster

mas99

You mean no obvious damage to the wheels? Have the wheels been … You mean no obvious damage to the wheels? Have the wheels been repaired? tyres taken off to check inside tyres?other wheels ok - are they the same size?What are the tyres? Are they cheapies? Sure its a balance issue not a tyre issue?Do the wheels seem to balance OK on the machine or not?Are you doing anything that might have an impact - spacers for example? Correct wheels - ie not needing offset bolts and hub diameter correct?

everything has been checked

these are brand new tires (goodyear) changed last week
prior to change everything was ok (I had a similar problem but managed to get it sorted after few re-balances)
standard fitted alloys, rims were checked, tyres are brand new, wheels were balanced on the machine and were fine
other wheels have nothing to do with a steering wheel shimmy (like I have said earlier I have tried different wheels which sorted the problem).

Is this website any good for finding somewhere that does it.

balancemycar.co.uk/

Original Poster

Poppyj1

Is this website any good for finding somewhere that does … Is this website any good for finding somewhere that does it.http://www.balancemycar.co.uk/

two nearest places that I have tried from this website dont do it (my belief in the credability of the webpage diminishes somehow). therefore, this is why I'm asking if anyone knows of a garage

thanks

mattsokolinski

two nearest places that I have tried from this website dont do it (my … two nearest places that I have tried from this website dont do it (my belief in the credability of the webpage diminishes somehow). therefore, this is why I'm asking if anyone knows of a garage :)thanks

Maybe try asking on Pistonheads
or any other car forums that may be around. Might have a better chance of a good reply on them then on here.

mattsokolinski

everything has been checkedthese are brand new tires (goodyear) changed … everything has been checkedthese are brand new tires (goodyear) changed last weekprior to change everything was ok (I had a similar problem but managed to get it sorted after few re-balances)standard fitted alloys, rims were checked, tyres are brand new, wheels were balanced on the machine and were fineother wheels have nothing to do with a steering wheel shimmy (like I have said earlier I have tried different wheels which sorted the problem).

Are you running low profile tyres ?

Original Poster

kester76

Are you running low profile tyres ?

​bog standard tyres on a factory wheels . 185/60/15

If you swap wheels front to rear does that make a difference?

One thing you could try is dynabeads.co.uk/ or one of the similar products.

Possible the tyres are overly conical.

Eden tyres is Derby are good at that sort of thing.

I remember a friends van having an issue similar to yours (transit connect), it was a right pig to sort

What makes you think they are out of balance?

is it balance or geometry? I had problem getting geometry sorted..various 'garages' kept telling me the wheels were perfectly balanced.. it was the geometry ..Hunter Hawkeye four wheel alignment jobbie.

Original Poster

markvirgo

What makes you think they are out of balance?

​because
shimmy comes and goes when I drive on long bent road (eg long turn left shimmy starts , followed by long turn right shimmy stops ) it's difficult to explain but anyone with some knowledge​ of geometry and math can see this happening
also

before I had tyres changed there was no shimmy (I had a shimmy months ago which was sorted through balancing ).
brand new tyres = shimmy ,
I know for a fact that it's balancing since I've swapped wheels from another car and it was fine (so no mechanical issues involved)
alloys are absolutely fine as this was also checked

Original Poster

Splodger101

is it balance or geometry? I had problem getting geometry sorted..various … is it balance or geometry? I had problem getting geometry sorted..various 'garages' kept telling me the wheels were perfectly balanced.. it was the geometry ..Hunter Hawkeye four wheel alignment jobbie.

​alignment done on hunter few months ago... my car can drive for miles straight without a single correction .

Original Poster

guys I don't want to be rude but I've eliminated all possible culprits (unless I've come across 3 **** mechanics that are incapable of balancing wheels ) and it's tiering​ to go through the same stuff again and again (including mechanics )

there is a road force balance in Lester that charges 35 + vat per corner which is daylight Robert since
there is one in Chester that does the same for 15 with vat , I'm looking for one in East Midlands that can do it for similar price as one in Chester (so that I can outweigh the travel cost )

Can you drive through the wobble? As in if it happens at 70mph does it go at 90mph?

Been driving for 30 years and a qualified mechanic and you are confusing me?.

I would say going by your responces is that you should buy the other wheels you have tried.

Original Poster

markvirgo

Been driving for 30 years and a qualified mechanic and you are confusing … Been driving for 30 years and a qualified mechanic and you are confusing me?. I would say going by your responces is that you should buy the other wheels you have tried.

the other wheels I have tried are exactly the same.
HondaLad

Can you drive through the wobble? As in if it happens at 70mph does it go … Can you drive through the wobble? As in if it happens at 70mph does it go at 90mph?

it wouldnt matter since the wobble can come and go on bent roads but yes its speed dependant as well

markvirgo

Been driving for 30 years and a qualified mechanic and you are confusing … Been driving for 30 years and a qualified mechanic and you are confusing me?. I would say going by your responces is that you should buy the other wheels you have tried.

HondaLad

Can you drive through the wobble? As in if it happens at 70mph does it … Can you drive through the wobble? As in if it happens at 70mph does it go at 90mph?

You said they were OK not the same issue?.

I know for a fact that it's balancing since I've swapped wheels from another car and it was fine

I know you said there is no other issues but you are describing shock absorber failure.

Original Poster

markvirgo

You said they were OK not the same issue?.I know for a fact that it's … You said they were OK not the same issue?.I know for a fact that it's balancing since I've swapped wheels from another car and it was fineI know you said there is no other issues but you are describing shock absorber failure.

its not shock absorber as the issue would be present even after the wheels are changed
also I can always reproduce the issue and mend it by doing the opposite

mattsokolinski

its not shock absorber as the issue would be present even after the … its not shock absorber as the issue would be present even after the wheels are changedalso I can always reproduce the issue and mend it by doing the opposite

Im confused you said the wheels were the same?.

Solution is just change the wheels then.

Original Poster

markvirgo

Im confused you said the wheels were the same?.Solution is just change … Im confused you said the wheels were the same?.Solution is just change the wheels then.

wheels were the same in relation to what? the wheels ive changed it to were exactly the same 15 inch goodyears from ANOTHER CAR and did not present the issue.
cant just take the wheels
Edited by: "mattsk" 7th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions