Road hazards / pot holes

Posted 9th Nov
Hi all,

Advice on what I’ve encountered this evening please, due to no road signs stating there’s a “hole” in the road my left front wheel has gone over it causing the tyre to burst!
Obviously no fault of mine as there were no signs stating there were road works.
I’ve gone back to it an hour later to find one cone out there by a possible bystander...
I’m sure I can claim to my local council for charges?
3327915.jpg

3327915.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Can you go back to the location ? there should be a warning sign a few hundred meters back indicating that there are road works, another after that with a road narrow sign and others, for your claim you'll need more evidence.

The signs should be :
38944485-TQ9iq.jpg38944485-eB7xC.jpg
Looking at the images though, I have a feeling the work being carried out is on the footpath, that hole looks more like a pot hole than unsafe roadworks.
The council might not be aware of the pot hole, you'd think who ever put the footpath signs out would see and report it but lots of councils emply contractors who only do the job assigned.
38944499-wOmj0.jpg
_-Richie-_09/11/2019 18:25

Can you go back to the location ? there should be a warning sign a few …Can you go back to the location ? there should be a warning sign a few hundred meters back indicating that there are road works, another after that with a road narrow sign and others, for your claim you'll need more evidence.The signs should be :[Image] [Image] Looking at the images though, I have a feeling the work being carried out is on the footpath, that hole looks more like a pot hole than unsafe roadworks.The council might not be aware of the pot hole, you'd think who ever put the footpath signs out would see and report it but lots of councils emply contractors who only do the job assigned.

As you can see from attached I did take one further away, I’ll have to check tomorrow but I did see a highways van pulling up on the road so it may be fixed prior. It could cause a nasty accident!
_-Richie-_09/11/2019 18:25

Can you go back to the location ? there should be a warning sign a few …Can you go back to the location ? there should be a warning sign a few hundred meters back indicating that there are road works, another after that with a road narrow sign and others, for your claim you'll need more evidence.The signs should be :[Image] [Image] Looking at the images though, I have a feeling the work being carried out is on the footpath, that hole looks more like a pot hole than unsafe roadworks.The council might not be aware of the pot hole, you'd think who ever put the footpath signs out would see and report it but lots of councils emply contractors who only do the job assigned.

Look at the pictures, it’s cordoned off but not where there is the massive hole.
andyjp109/11/2019 18:28

As you can see from attached I did take one further away, I’ll have to c …As you can see from attached I did take one further away, I’ll have to check tomorrow but I did see a highways van pulling up on the road so it may be fixed prior. It could cause a nasty accident!

They will try and get out of it but you should try and claim, protecting the pavement but not the road is just poor management from the company who dug it up.
Edited by: "eslick" 9th Nov
Yeah it’s works on the pathway but it’s gone into the road!

I can see many accidents this evening with this awful weather too
fanpages09/11/2019 18:41

Did you not see the traffic cone in the road because your vision was …Did you not see the traffic cone in the road because your vision was obscured?

"I’ve gone back to it an hour later to find one cone out there by a possible bystander..."

Did you not see the traffic cone in the road because your vision was …Did you not see the traffic cone in the road because your vision was obscured?

IamMT09/11/2019 18:46

"I’ve gone back to it an hour later to find one cone out there by a p …"I’ve gone back to it an hour later to find one cone out there by a possible bystander..."

Yes, I read that too.

However, it is unclear what the location looked like at the time of the incident; many cones, two cones, or no cones, for example.

To be fair, this claim annoyed me more than anything else in the thread description (opening post)...

"Obviously no fault of mine as there were no signs stating there were road works..."
Looks to me like the bad weather has washed out the temporary fill resulting in a void. You can try and make a claim. Take photos and submit it. It may get paid out it might not.
fanpages09/11/2019 18:49

Yes, I read that too.However, it is unclear what the location looked like …Yes, I read that too.However, it is unclear what the location looked like at the time of the incident; many cones, two cones, or no cones, for example.To be fair, this claim annoyed me more than anything else in the thread description (opening post)..."Obviously no fault of mine as there were no signs stating there were road works..."

I agree with you on the "obviously" bit & their earlier post about misting up whilst driving, but I do believe they are trying to intimate that when they hit the hole there were no cones, although where the bystander got one is anyone's guess...
You can try to claim off the council but be prepared to be in world of pain, I claimed off council last year for a crack alloy and it isn't easy.

There was no cone when I hit it
Another instance where a dashcam would've paid for itself as evidence.
andyjp109/11/2019 18:28

As you can see from attached I did take one further away, I’ll have to c …As you can see from attached I did take one further away, I’ll have to check tomorrow but I did see a highways van pulling up on the road so it may be fixed prior. It could cause a nasty accident!

I don't know the official requirements for correct fore-warning of a hole in the road but a partially submerged cone is not it. I suspect somebody - possibly another victim - has positioned that cone.

andyjp109/11/2019 19:42

There was no cone when I hit it

...and the tree made no sound when it fell because nobody was there to see it.
I'd report the damage to your local bunch of incompetent F Wits AKA the Council and get compensated.
I'm doing that at the moment myself (bike damage due to pothole).
"Obviously no fault of mine"

Err, do you not look where you are driving?

Look before you leap.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 9th Nov
I think in order to claim, the hole needs to have been reported to the council prior to your incident and they have had enough time to fix it.
joyf453609/11/2019 21:25

"Obviously no fault of mine"Err, do you not look where you are …"Obviously no fault of mine"Err, do you not look where you are driving?Look before you leap.

I do look and was looking where I was going, the weather was awful, it was dark, it was full of water at the time of driving so assuming that’s all it was I drove over it, not that I have to justify myself to you.
andyjp109/11/2019 22:40

I do look and was looking where I was going, the weather was awful, it was …I do look and was looking where I was going, the weather was awful, it was dark, it was full of water at the time of driving so assuming that’s all it was I drove over it, not that I have to justify myself to you.

"not that I have to justify myself to you"

Not asking to to.
andyjp109/11/2019 22:40

I do look and was looking where I was going, the weather was awful, it was …I do look and was looking where I was going, the weather was awful, it was dark, it was full of water at the time of driving so assuming that’s all it was I drove over it, not that I have to justify myself to you.

In your driving test they tell you not to drive through puddles because you don’t know what’s in them!
Going on the op's info, It seems pretty obvious to me from the opening post, that there was no cone there when it happened and that it was dark, wet and hole discuised with filled water, not to mention if its raining you cant see clearly through the window due to water and or condensation sometimes.
Comments here are moronic, some accusing him of basically lying, why would he do that ? I understand the, no fault of my own is a little debatable but people here sound similar to the council workers he's going to have to deal with. Hard work 😴
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants