Groups

road surfaces in the UK

Why are so many road surfaces in the UK really noisy? If you look closely at them they seem to be mostly small stones mixed with tar and the tar has worn off the surface so your tyres are basically running along on rough stones. I find the noise on some of these surfaces unbearable. Do other countries has such rubbish road surfaces?

48 Comments

mabye its the car you driving, my 66k bmw drives sweet as.

.....................and don't even get me started on teh potholes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Banned

our street alone is patches upon patches, and at the edges of those patches, the tar has fallen out

concrete road surfaces in other countries are louder though

Noise unbearable?:?

Turn the stereo up.....simples:thumbsup:

Banned

Ssounds like you have a terrible car. Stop buying cake and get a better one

black gerbil1;7890491

Thats usually because car games dont make the driving experience that realistic.

I have just had to have the front nearside spring replaced on my Sabb after hitting a pot hole in the dark :x
    The local council have not been to helpfull:x

Original Poster

Well yes it's most bad in my work van. My dad has a BMW and it is very quiet. But still, imo the road surfaces are way too noisy. You get some sections which are whisper quiet then you get others that just roar. Unfortunately the majority of road seems to be the noisy type.

Banned

This thread is boring.

black gerbil1;7890491

66k you got the same as me a 59 plate M3 with all the add ons????? if so nice car and nice drive

Original Poster

vibeone;7890665

This thread is boring.

So sorry.

Banned

shamus1975;7890710

66k you got the same as me a 59 plate M3 with all the add ons????? if so … 66k you got the same as me a 59 plate M3 with all the add ons????? if so nice car and nice drive

dftt;-)

RFC;7890902

dftt;-)

??????

Banned

shamus1975;7890926

??????

google it?????

shamus1975;7890710

66k you got the same as me a 59 plate M3 with all the add ons????? if so … 66k you got the same as me a 59 plate M3 with all the add ons????? if so nice car and nice drive

i got a 09 plate 6 series, lol @ 59 plate, i would rather catch the bus tbh

french roads were all pretty smooth

Banned

try driving in prague most of the roads are cobbled

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1189/macaucobblesxt1.jpg

Banned

lumoruk;7891883

try driving in prague most of the roads are cobbled

thats sets!

Banned

rodent;7891650

i got a 09 plate 6 series, lol @ 59 plate, i would rather catch the bus … i got a 09 plate 6 series, lol @ 59 plate, i would rather catch the bus tbh

Why? Are you allergic to newer cars?

Banned

yes different countries use different materials to build theyre roads from ....... obviously the road surfacxes have to be built for diff temperatures...............tarmac or bitumen is widely used but they will add different minerals and heavy metals depending where its being used that and asphalt etc

Banned

casparwhite;7894289

yes different countries use different materials to build theyre roads … yes different countries use different materials to build theyre roads from ....... obviously the road surfacxes have to be built for diff temperatures...............tarmac or bitumen is widely used but they will add different minerals and heavy metals depending where its being used that and asphalt etc

[ ] interesting post

Original Poster

Heavy metals??? Like Mercury and Cadmium?

guv;7894172

Why? Are you allergic to newer cars?

obviously he is or a case of being over jealous

Banned

vibeone;7890546

Ssounds like you have a terrible car. Stop buying cake and get a better … Ssounds like you have a terrible car. Stop buying cake and get a better one

vibeone;7890665

This thread is boring.

vibeone;7894339

[ ] interesting post

lol unlike yours.....
    "golly gosh" stop being so tiresome:lazy:
    mccririck;7894392

Heavy metals??? Like Mercury and Cadmium?

and what else?

Banned

shamus1975;7894443

obviously he is or a case of being over jealous

Nah. Just a case of being a 16 year that has zero knowledge of the crap he's coming out with. Half term finishes today though luckily.

I was told they do it on purpose to encourage drivers to stay awake and alert, and that's why on motorways you often get changes in road surfaces so some part of you becomes aware of this and it wakes you up a bit. Don't know if there is any truth in it, but it sounds as though it could be part of the reason. Another would be that the council ran out of money and put a cheap surface down.

Banned

sickly sweet;7894744

I was told they do it on purpose to encourage drivers to stay awake and … I was told they do it on purpose to encourage drivers to stay awake and alert, and that's why on motorways you often get changes in road surfaces so some part of you becomes aware of this and it wakes you up a bit. Don't know if there is any truth in it, but it sounds as though it could be part of the reason. Another would be that the council ran out of money and put a cheap surface down.

some motorways have had to be re-done with quiter surfaces near residential areas due to complaints even after putting up noise pollution barriers. Not so sure that motorways are covered under council budgets tbh although there are defintely cost factors involved

Atleast you have roads..
    In and around Bristol all we have are potholes.

Im serious... if you have driven on the Long Ashton Bypass you will know what im talking about!

I assume it's partially down to traction, on some of the Greek islands the roads were extremely smooth but when it rained they were like ice and offered extremely poor grip. While some of the roads up here are rougher, they offer far better traction particularly in poor conditions.

John

Original Poster

casparwhite;7894772

some motorways have had to be re-done with quiter surfaces near … some motorways have had to be re-done with quiter surfaces near residential areas due to complaints even after putting up noise pollution barriers. Not so sure that motorways are covered under council budgets tbh although there are defintely cost factors involved

Absolutely my opinion as well. Stones are cheap, so they load the surface with stones to save money.

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;7895005

I assume it's partially down to traction, on some of the Greek islands … I assume it's partially down to traction, on some of the Greek islands the roads were extremely smooth but when it rained they were like ice and offered extremely poor grip. While some of the roads up here are rougher, they offer far better traction particularly in poor conditions.John

I dont think that's true at all. A smoother surface will give more contact with the road, and a more consistent contact as well. The grooves in your tyres do the rest. If anything the stoney surfaces will be poorer in the wet.

black gerbil1;7891650

i got a 09 plate 6 series, lol @ 59 plate, i would rather catch the bus … i got a 09 plate 6 series, lol @ 59 plate, i would rather catch the bus tbh

What a daft thing to say, a 59 plate is newer than an 09 plate, but you would know that if you owned either of them, wouldn't you?

Banned

Johnmcl7;7895005

I assume it's partially down to traction, on some of the Greek islands … I assume it's partially down to traction, on some of the Greek islands the roads were extremely smooth but when it rained they were like ice and offered extremely poor grip. While some of the roads up here are rougher, they offer far better traction particularly in poor conditions.John

totally agree. Same type of roads in lanzarote which are appalling when it rains. Very quiet though.

Original Poster

csiman;7896229

totally agree. Same type of roads in lanzarote which are appalling when … totally agree. Same type of roads in lanzarote which are appalling when it rains. Very quiet though.

This is probably because in these countries it doesnt rain very often, so a layer of grease and dirt build up on the road surface, so when it does rain it makes it slippy. Not really anything to do with the road surface being smooth.

mccririck;7895760

I dont think that's true at all. A smoother surface will give more … I dont think that's true at all. A smoother surface will give more contact with the road, and a more consistent contact as well. The grooves in your tyres do the rest. If anything the stoney surfaces will be poorer in the wet.

Not at all, a smooth road is awful for wet weather grip because the water is a sheet. If you have a rough road with macro and micro roughness, you lower the level of the water sheet. This is exactly why your tyres have grip and aren't smooth - it's up to both the tyre and road surface to do the same.

mccririck;7895760

I dont think that's true at all. A smoother surface will give more … I dont think that's true at all. A smoother surface will give more contact with the road, and a more consistent contact as well. The grooves in your tyres do the rest. If anything the stoney surfaces will be poorer in the wet.

No, a stoney surface clearly gives more traction as you're not sitting on the same layer of water. On the German smooth roads there was little traction in the wet and they have plenty of regular rain, the Nurburgring is very smooth and utterly lethal in the wet - they advise not going out at all in the rain because it's like driving on ice. A smooth surface is good for traction in dry conditions but not in wet.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;7897016

No, a stoney surface clearly gives more traction as you're not sitting on … No, a stoney surface clearly gives more traction as you're not sitting on the same layer of water. On the German smooth roads there was little traction in the wet and they have plenty of regular rain, the Nurburgring is very smooth and utterly lethal in the wet - they advise not going out at all in the rain because it's like driving on ice. A smooth surface is good for traction in dry conditions but not in wet.John

I honestly dont believe a stony surface is best. Notice that they tend to put that sand coloured surface on tight bends - it isnt stoney it is sort of gritty, and is nowhere near as noisy as a stoney surface except that nowadays they tend to apply it cheaply in strips which end up lumpy and also wear out and break up quite quickly.

I guess it depends on the size of the stones and how big the gaps are between the stones too as to how loud it's going to be, I would think water would freeze in the gaps between stones and break up the road faster in cold weather too.

Just because a surface feels smooth doesnt mean it's going to have less grip imo. Anyway i'd rather have a little less grip but a quieter ride. I expect fuel consumption really suffers on these stoney surfaces too.

German roads tend to be concrete which isnt very good in the wet, but there are other smoother surfaces which are better.

mccririck;7897069

I honestly dont believe a stony surface is best. Notice that they tend to … I honestly dont believe a stony surface is best. Notice that they tend to put that sand coloured surface on tight bends - it isnt stoney it is sort of gritty, and is nowhere near as noisy as a stoney surface except that nowadays they tend to apply it cheaply in strips which end up lumpy and also wear out and break up quite quickly..

That is a special anti-skid coating.;-)

Original Poster

Inactive;7897104

That is a special anti-skid coating.;-)

I know.

mccririck;7897069

I honestly dont believe a stony surface is best. Notice that they tend to … I honestly dont believe a stony surface is best. Notice that they tend to put that sand coloured surface on tight bends - it isnt stoney it is sort of gritty, and is nowhere near as noisy as a stoney surface except that nowadays they tend to apply it cheaply in strips which end up lumpy and also wear out and break up quite quickly.I guess it depends on the size of the stones and how big the gaps are between the stones too as to how loud it's going to be, I would think water would freeze in the gaps between stones and break up the road faster in cold weather too.Just because a surface feels smooth doesnt mean it's going to have less grip imo. Anyway i'd rather have a little less grip but a quieter ride. I expect fuel consumption really suffers on these stoney surfaces too.German roads tend to be concrete which isnt very good in the wet, but there are other smoother surfaces which are better.

I don't quite understand your posts, are you trying to suggest still that a smooth surface is better in the wet than one with macro and micro gaps?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. RIP DOCTOR WHO710
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1218
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?67
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1430

See more discussions