Found 6th Mar
Hi all, the Mrs forgot to renew her tax due 1st march - anyone know if there is still a grace period or does she face a fine?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

http://www.theweek.co.uk/59941/road-tax-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-system

Is there a 'period of grace'?
According to the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association, there will be no "grace period" - for example, to allow the buyer to drive to the Post Office to purchase road tax. The buyer must always obtain new vehicle tax immediately upon the point of sale before driving the vehicle away.

Get it quick and wait for the postman. As long as she pays for it back dated she should be fine. (Get it)

Genuinely I missed it for two months when it all changed over as I bought a new car just after the change. I never got fined. When you ring up to tax it the robot tells you that you may be fined but I never was. Good luck

There never was such a thing anyway. Just pay it online and it will automatically back date this month. I have never had a fine for doing the same in the past.

Do it online and you're covered straight away.
It all computerised.
So you wont need to wait for postie.

Original Poster

Nice one thanks for all the replies / help guys fingers crossed!

Just tax it asap. I've done it recently, not an issue.

none unfortunately. we just received a fine on the company van as we forgot!

nwressell

none unfortunately. we just received a fine on the company van as we … none unfortunately. we just received a fine on the company van as we forgot!

​for how many days over 1 or more

MynameisM

​for how many days over 1 or more

Probably until the first time you pass an ANPR camera.

No - the grace period used to happen many years ago when you had to queue up at a vehicle licensing office - there hasn't been one for over 30 years, so I'm not sure why people think there might be. Just do it online as quick as you can and hopefully they won't bother to fine you.

caroline777upnorth

No - the grace period used to happen many years ago when you had to queue … No - the grace period used to happen many years ago when you had to queue up at a vehicle licensing office - there hasn't been one for over 30 years, so I'm not sure why people think there might be.

It would be backdated to the 1st of the month when you had the old discs, Most times you wouldn't be fined if you were within the 14 day period and you said you were getting it.

Get your car taxed BEFORE you get a letter of intent to fine you then, as it is backdated to beginning of the month, you could reasonably argue that it was an oversight if it did go to court. Also, while online, set up to pay by direct debit -takes all the worry away!

Second the DD option, I just pay mine monthly and there's no worry at all

do it on line and pay by direct debit I pay monthly which suits me as it is not such a lump sum and comes out automatically

Just do what my neighbour does and drive about with no tax or mot. He's just renewed both but got away with each for approx 6 months.

(Don't really do this).

Edited by: "DEALS4EVA" 7th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244939
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    3. Add one, leave one game54415485
    4. A1 Travel no longer trading!33

See more discussions