Groups

Road Tax Le-way?!

My road tax was due to expire on 31st of march. I went to the post office on the 31st to get my new one but as my certificate of insurance isn't here yet (as I just renewed a wee while ago) they couldn't give me my tax.

The woman at the post office said order it online, which I had forgotten you could do.

So went home and ordered it. It says it starts from 1st April which is fine but I have to wait on it coming though the post. Do I just keep my old tax disc in the car just now?

And if I get a ticket for not valid road tax, can I appeal it as I have the confirmation to say I paid for it on the 31st and lunch time??

I thought you used to get 14 days le-way but I'm not 100% sure....

Please Help xxx

33 Comments

i think its about 5 days grace the Police would give you if the tax isnt on the car. Any later than that then you can penalised if you can prove the tax disc hasnt arrived.

Legally you have 5 days to drive (provide you have paid online), but if the police stop you with invalid tax disk, he/she can give you £60 fine

Original Poster

Surely they wouldnt charge a heavily pregnant woman, and with the friday/monday bank holiday the mail will take longer :?

I think to save any hassle, you shouldn't drive your car until you get the tax disc displayed. I think this leeway, is at the discretion of the enforcer.

Original Poster

just hide my car lol :-(

Banned

moob;8269355

I think to save any hassle, you shouldn't drive your car until you get … I think to save any hassle, you shouldn't drive your car until you get the tax disc displayed. I think this leeway, is at the discretion of the enforcer.

http://www.thevine.com.au/resources/imgdetail/300708042337_enforcer455.jpg

great film.. :-D

crazyblondechick;8269352

Surely they wouldnt charge a heavily pregnant woman, and with the … Surely they wouldnt charge a heavily pregnant woman, and with the friday/monday bank holiday the mail will take longer :?

lol then u should be putting your feet up not driving!!! As the others said u do get 5 days:)

Now go rest!!

one of the best way as well, check on DVLA website, vehicle information , type in your car reg, it will say when the due date of liability is, if it shown as in 6 months time,you will be ok to drive on the street, as it wouldn't get flagged up

Unfortunately you can be done for failure to display which is an offence on its own.
    I am sure that there must be a good reason for it but this is a law that really peeves me. I feel it is incredibly pedantic in this day and age when it is easy to check whether car tax has been purchased or not.

To me its a case of abuse of power. We can nick you so we will. Should be changed.

Banned

bossyboots;8269389

lol then u should be attached to the sink not driving!!! As the others … lol then u should be attached to the sink not driving!!! As the others said u do get 5 days:)Now go rest!!

:lol::lol:

Original Poster

bossyboots;8269389

Now go rest!!

Yes boss ;-) lol xx

Banned

WoolyM;8269398

Unfortunately you can be done for failure to display which is an offence … Unfortunately you can be done for failure to display which is an offence on its own. I am sure that there must be a good reason for it but this is a law that really peeves me. I feel it is incredibly pedantic in this day and age when it is easy to check whether car tax has been purchased or not.To be its a case of abuse of power. We can nick you so we will. Should be changed.

care to explain please :roll:

dog_cop;8269401

:lol::lol:

hahaha!

DC - whilst your here - my sister driving to work this morning in rush hour traffic - her car skidded on ice and OMG flipped over a few times and landed on its roof. All windows smashed out - but thankfully she is physically okay (mentally she is a wreck like the car) I went down this morning when I got the call and the police officer showed me the ice - it was so small. You must see this a lot - its really scary too

Original Poster

It says on the DVLA website when i type in reg no and make that:

Date of Liability 01 10 2010
    Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

So would that not flag up on their systems??

Banned

bossyboots;8269431

hahaha! DC - whilst your here - my sister driving to work this morning … hahaha! DC - whilst your here - my sister driving to work this morning in rush hour traffic - her car skidded on ice and OMG flipped over a few times and landed on its roof. All windows smashed out - but thankfully she is physically okay (mentally she is a wreck like the car) I went down this morning when I got the call and the police officer showed me the ice - it was so small. You must see this a lot - its really scary too

seen something like that and the driver died , so your sister was very lucky, car can be replaced... humans can be tricky :-D glad she is ok

Banned

crazyblondechick;8269352

Surely they wouldnt charge a heavily pregnant woman, and with the … Surely they wouldnt charge a heavily pregnant woman, and with the friday/monday bank holiday the mail will take longer :?

err what has that got to do with anything at all? Maybe I'll try and get pregnant if its that easy. Boots you up for it?

dog_cop;8269413

care to explain please :roll:

If car tax has been paid already then surely that shows adherence to the law. It then seems pedantic if a policeman makes a big thing out of the fact that tax is not displayed. If there is a way to check the story and there is why give people a hard time just because the disc is not on the windscreen?

Original Poster

vibeone;8269458

err what has that got to do with anything at all? Maybe I'll try and get … err what has that got to do with anything at all? Maybe I'll try and get pregnant if its that easy. Boots you up for it?

And if I turn on the water works, might be a nice police person...... And let me off with it ;-)

i got a ticket just after christmas for failure to display even though i had purchesed it online and it was held up due to "adverse weather conditions" the police officer who gave me it said i had to write a letter about it and when i done this i got one back saying it was ok i didnt have to pay the fine!!x

dog_cop;8269454

seen something like that and the driver died , so your sister was very … seen something like that and the driver died , so your sister was very lucky, car can be replaced... humans can be tricky :-D glad she is ok

yes she is VERY lucky - especially when you see state of car

[IMG]i789.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1270201351[/IMG]

She has just called to say she has been discharged from hospital and only injuries are whiplash and few cuts on her face - very lucky.

Banned

WoolyM;8269461

If car tax has been paid already then surely that shows adherence to the … If car tax has been paid already then surely that shows adherence to the law. It then seems pedantic if a policeman makes a big thing out of the fact that tax is not displayed. If there is a way to check the story and there is why give people a hard time just because the disc is not on the windscreen?

Two different laws - failed to have tax, and failing to display. You get 5 days though I think, but you have to have the old tax in or something, and I expect a print out of your tax payment would help too.

crazyblondechick;8269479

And if I turn on the water works, might be a nice police person...... And … And if I turn on the water works, might be a nice police person...... And let me off with it ;-)

I was on your side until you came out with the emotional garbage. Now I hope you get caught.

Original Poster

branchinghenk;8269488

i got a ticket just after christmas for failure to display even though i … i got a ticket just after christmas for failure to display even though i had purchesed it online and it was held up due to "adverse weather conditions" the police officer who gave me it said i had to write a letter about it and when i done this i got one back saying it was ok i didnt have to pay the fine!!x

Phewf!!! :-D

[QUOTE=vibeone;8269504]Two different laws - failed to have tax, and failing to display. You get 5 days though I think, but you have to have the old tax in or something, and I expect a print out of your tax payment would help too.

I have never been done. But have heard numerous tales from friends who have been hassled. Maybe a London thing. Seems as if there is a general belief on the part of the police these days that everyone lies to them so its ok to disregard any explanation offered and treat everyone as a criminal. Sad times.

WoolyM;8269398

Unfortunately you can be done for failure to display which is an offence … Unfortunately you can be done for failure to display which is an offence on its own. I am sure that there must be a good reason for it but this is a law that really peeves me. I feel it is incredibly pedantic in this day and age when it is easy to check whether car tax has been purchased or not.To me its a case of abuse of power. We can nick you so we will. Should be changed.

If you have applied on-line than this is not true.
    You have 5 working days where you can drive without displaying your disc.
    By my reckoning, that takes you to 9th April. :thumbsup:

Banned

WoolyM;8269530

[QUOTE=vibeone;8269504]Two different laws - failed to have tax, and … [QUOTE=vibeone;8269504]Two different laws - failed to have tax, and failing to display. You get 5 days though I think, but you have to have the old tax in or something, and I expect a print out of your tax payment would help too.I have never been done. But have heard numerous tales from friends who have been hassled. Maybe a London thing. Seems as if there is a general belief on the part of the police these days that everyone lies to them so its ok to disregard any explanation offered and treat everyone as a criminal. Sad times.

The police don't make the laws, they just apply them. The law states you must DISPLAY. Not just that you must have tax, but that you must display it.

I have no problem with the law in this case to be honest. It's not about disregarding any explanation - if you aren't display tax, you are breaking the law, and there is really no explanation - you have plenty of time to sort it earlier to cover any bad weather / bank holiday issues.

Have you never seen the utter scum on the likes of road wars and traffic cops? Even ignoring the fact the law has been broken, when you see the disgusting folk who never pay tax, never pay insurance coming out with utterly crap excuses, why do you expect the police to believe you? They hear it all the time.

vibeone;8269557

[QUOTE=WoolyM;8269530]The police don't make the laws, they just apply … [QUOTE=WoolyM;8269530]The police don't make the laws, they just apply them. The law states you must DISPLAY. Not just that you must have tax, but that you must display it.I have no problem with the law in this case to be honest. It's not about disregarding any explanation - if you aren't display tax, you are breaking the law, and there is really no explanation - you have plenty of time to sort it earlier to cover any bad weather / bank holiday issues.Have you never seen the utter scum on the likes of road wars and traffic cops? Even ignoring the fact the law has been broken, when you see the disgusting folk who never pay tax, never pay insurance coming out with utterly crap excuses, why do you expect the police to believe you? They hear it all the time.

So are you saying it is ok to criminalise law abiding members of the public just because that may not be able to absolutely prove they are in fact law abiding? Oooh the morals of some these days astounds me....

Banned

WoolyM;8269607

[QUOTE=vibeone;8269557]So are you saying it is ok to criminalise law … [QUOTE=vibeone;8269557]So are you saying it is ok to criminalise law abiding members of the public just because that may not be able to absolutely prove they are in fact law abiding? Oooh the morals of some these days astounds me....

I'm saying you know the law, you know the implications, so either pay, or drive knowing the risks, and the punishment. Don't moan if you get caught.

For the record, I have no problem with the law of DISPLAYING a tax disc.

This is obviously the wrong medium to even suggest that a law may be outdated or in need of repeal. There are so many on this forum who lack the ability to think or debate an issue without turning it into a slanging match. Leave you to it.

If you are going to rely on the 5 days' grace period, I suppose a print out of your tax disc receipt on the dashboard or in the glove box wouldn't hurt...

This happened to me a while back, I ordered online but the disc got lost in the post, so I had to phone up and explain, and get a new one which would be delivered after the old one expired. I asked the person on the phone if I could be done with driving without a valid disc. He said that as I had paid in plenty time etc., the DVLA would take no action. However, if the police wanted to issue a fine they could, it's down to the discretion of the officer....

Original Poster

Just got post, didn't think the posties were working today, got my tax disc so that was quick and it resolves it all :lol:

Cheers for the help anyway everyone

As your shows up until October, so you are ok to drive, put a copy of the receipt on the dash board when you park your car. I had this problem last month, when I received my tax disc a month late, I was driving normally without any problems.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927369
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1871347
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2445
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047133

See more discussions