Road tax loophole saves you upto £70

Found 14th Jul 2008
Not too sure if this is in the right forum - feel free to move..

Higher emission bands - if your road tax runs out before 15th September this year, just buy 6 months of tax. When it runs out in March 2009 - get 12 months, that way, you save about £70 not having to pay the new amount in April 2009.
Amount of saving is obviously dependent on the year the car was build / emissions and size of engine.

Source: parkers.co.uk/new…90/

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
26 Comments

:thumbsup: GREAT advice, I suppose common sense really
( but certainly not something I had thought out )
HEAT added..........

how can u save 70 if your tax is going down

it does'nt make sence

vote cold

because of the new bandings coming into play do you not think that they might just average out the cost? or do they have to wait till the stated time to increase charges? :thinking:

Sagor;2524759

because of the new bandings coming into play do you not think that they … because of the new bandings coming into play do you not think that they might just average out the cost? or do they have to wait till the stated time to increase charges? :thinking:

The price increases will not happen until April 2009...

Moved to Misc

Banned

Sun;2524766

To see how you pay in next 3 years see … To see how you pay in next 3 years see here:http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Best place to look IMHO

quality...... mine drops by a fiver next year to a whole £30 for 12 months.

MinstrelMan;2524803

quality...... mine drops by a fiver next year to a whole £30 for 12 … quality...... mine drops by a fiver next year to a whole £30 for 12 months.

You own a bicycle? :?

1.5 dci dynamique renault megane

french deisel poo but it works for the 70 mile round trip i do each day

Banned

MinstrelMan;2524803

quality...... mine drops by a fiver next year to a whole £30 for 12 … quality...... mine drops by a fiver next year to a whole £30 for 12 months.

yeah how does that work??:?

ranjadaganja;2524839

yeah how does that work??:?

dunno but then it goes back up the year after..... never mind, that £5 saving will be able to buy me an extra litre of diesel as I'm sure it will be roughly that price by then :lol:

My road tax expires at the end of September :x

only goes up £5 a year so not too bad

Mine don't change till 2010 stays as it is in 2009! Still ridiculously expensive!!

Paid the tax on my cars last month. I dread to think what I'll be paying next year, so not looking! I will probably trade them in for a new car (with low tax if possible).

I already traded in big car to get one with a smaller engine, last month, and the various savings are making an enormous contribution to the cost of having the pleasure of a newer car. I got a smaller petrol engine which has a turbocharger on it so that it's as powerful as my old big car but uses half as much fuel. Thankfully fuel bill really has halved - and road tax, which was due to go up to £400, will be £120. Got £100 refunded on insurance too... No MOT for 3 years, and £200 fixed-price servicing plan will also save me £1000 on servicing for next three years, compared to old car...

Good time to make a change if you have an old fuel-thirsty car.

If anyone is thinking of trading in a car which will end up in a higher tax band, I'd do it before everyone else does the same and the second-hand values fall accordingly. People aren't going to want to buy these cars so much when the road tax has already doubled.

MinstrelMan;2524834

1.5 dci dynamique renault meganefrench deisel poo but it works for the 70 … 1.5 dci dynamique renault meganefrench deisel poo but it works for the 70 mile round trip i do each day

Same for me in my 1.4 HDi Peugeot 206, I wonder what I should do with my extra £5 next year. Put it towards fuel for my 90 mile a day round trip I guess.

great suggestion, my tax is due at the end of August but hadn't thought of that at all!

Predikuesi;2525014

Paid the tax on my cars last month. I dread to think what I'll be paying … Paid the tax on my cars last month. I dread to think what I'll be paying next year, so not looking! I will probably trade them in for a new car (with low tax if possible).

Paid mine in June, Anyone know if you are able to renenew say Feb 2009 at the old price and return the old one for a refund of the few months remaining?

brains_t;2525202

Paid mine in June, Anyone know if you are able to renenew say Feb 2009 at … Paid mine in June, Anyone know if you are able to renenew say Feb 2009 at the old price and return the old one for a refund of the few months remaining?

good thinking, but unfortunately you couldn't do this because you have to have gotten rid of the car: "You can claim a refund of vehicle tax if you’re taking your vehicle off the road, selling it or if it’s been scrapped, exported or stolen. "

direct.gov.uk/en/…526

I applied for a road tax refund after selling car recently and I remember that you had to sign to say you were selling or disposing of the car.

Best way to pay less tax is to not vote labour in next general election !

Labour---never again

Mine stays the same 'till 2010.. I've been thinking about buying a Mazda RX8, but in 2010 road tax would set me back be £455 for 12 months! Ridiculous! And I thought currently paying £185 p/a was bad.

So . . . . Labour, the "People's Party", has abolished the 10p income tax band, thereby increasing the tax paid by pensioners and the lowest paid workers (mine has certainly gone up); :x and is now drastically increasing the road tax on older cars, which are the only cars that pensioners and the lowest paid workers can afford. :x

And if they try to sell them, they will find their second-hand value has slumped due to Labour's higher tax brackets. :x This is on top of all the other "stealth taxes" Labour has introduced which hit pensioners and the working man in the pocket. :x

And yet, amazingly, there are still people out there who blindly believe Labour is for the working class!! Get your heads out of the sand, comrades!

I urge everyone to follow the link at post #7 to see how much extra they are going to pay in road tax during the next two years. You could get a nasty shock.

The tax on my little old Vauxhall Astra is going up by £40!! :x Thanks very much, Gordon Brown and the Labour government.

Bomazu;2527357

Mine stays the same 'till 2010.. I've been thinking about buying a Mazda … Mine stays the same 'till 2010.. I've been thinking about buying a Mazda RX8, but in 2010 road tax would set me back be £455 for 12 months! Ridiculous! And I thought currently paying £185 p/a was bad.

The rotary engine on an RX8 drinks fuel like crazy - I'd also check out the mpg on that if I were you and it might make you think again too with the price of fuel.

Got my renewal letter today, turning into a headache, my current tax runs out on 30th Sep, looked up on parkers:
Volkswagen Golf Hatchback (97-04)
1.4 E 5d

[CENTER]Rates effective from 13 March 2008[/CENTER]
6 months at £79.75 or 12 months £145.00
[CENTER]Rates effective from April 2009[/CENTER]
6 months at £96.25 or 12 months at £175

If i buy 6 months tax today, my renewal should come through next march for Tax to start from from 1st April. Does anyone know if the renewals in March would be at the new price or old price?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    2. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?78
    4. Whatsup number, confused33

See more discussions