Groups

Road/Car tax question

I have just changed my car. Bought it from a dealer but they dont sort out the tax so having to do it myself. What do I need to tax a car which doesnt currently have tax? Can I just take my insurance certificate to the Post Office or do I need some other documentation?

Thanks in advance!

12 Comments

Banned

just take everything with you and ask at the post office

Ian182

I have just changed my car. Bought it from a dealer but they dont sort … I have just changed my car. Bought it from a dealer but they dont sort out the tax so having to do it myself. What do I need to tax a car which doesnt currently have tax? Can I just take my insurance certificate to the Post Office or do I need some other documentation?Thanks in advance!

If you have just bought it you will need

1. V5 document that you should have got from the dealer
    2. valid insurance for the vehicle
    3. MOT certificate if the vehicle is over 3 years old

Original Poster

elitom

If you have just bought it you will need1. V5 document that you should … If you have just bought it you will need1. V5 document that you should have got from the dealer2. valid insurance for the vehicle3. MOT certificate if the vehicle is over 3 years old

Got 2 & 3. Will the dealer definitely give me a V5 document when I go to pick it up on saturday? Will I have to sned anything off or will it already be in my name?

Cheers.

the seller has to send documentation off now but you will have a part of the v5 document which you will need to tax car which shows change of ownership

Ian182

Got 2 & 3. Will the dealer definitely give me a V5 document when I go to … Got 2 & 3. Will the dealer definitely give me a V5 document when I go to pick it up on saturday? Will I have to sned anything off or will it already be in my name? Cheers.

the dealer should have the V5. If they do not I would be very suspicious. is it a main dealer or a independent dealer.

normally if the car requires tax, you give the completed V5 with the tax application form to the Post Office and they send it all to DVLA.

If the car is already taxed then you just send the ammendedV5 to DVLA directly

sonia.town

the seller has to send documentation off now but you will have a part of … the seller has to send documentation off now but you will have a part of the v5 document which you will need to tax car which shows change of ownership

Yep forgot to say, the seller sends one bit off to prove he has sold the car and you get the other bit, normally the bit with all the vehicles details on to prove you are now the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.

Yea, it is a main Ford dealer so I assume they have everything all present and correct.

Sounds like I will have at least some of the V5 document when I pick it up on saturday then. So should be able to get the tax sorted. Will just have to try and get it all sorted before the post office closes on Saturday!!

most dealers will tax it for you before you pick it up if you ask and pay the money for it .
    good luck with your car

Original Poster

sonia.town

most dealers will tax it for you before you pick it up if you ask and pay … most dealers will tax it for you before you pick it up if you ask and pay the money for it .good luck with your car

He did say that it was up to me to get the tax sorted.

Thanks for all your help guys! Rep will be left.

If I was buying the car I would insist that the dealer sort it out for me - does he want your custom or not? Sounds like he's a lazy so-and-so who wants to do as little as possible:whistling:

cis_groupie

If I was buying the car I would insist that the dealer sort it out for me … If I was buying the car I would insist that the dealer sort it out for me - does he want your custom or not? Sounds like he's a lazy so-and-so who wants to do as little as possible:whistling:

I agree, if they cannot be bothered to tax it for you, they are not worth dealing with.

What happens if you require any warranty work?

Sorry here are the bits, you will have to fit them yourself.:roll:

Try and haggle the car price...

They usually throw in the Tax to get the sale and not bring the car price down.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767218
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      3. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      4. love affairs912

See more discussions