Groups

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers)

Anyone else seen it yet? Enjoyed the film, but not sure I really enjoyed it if you know what I mean... Anyone else?

30 Comments

Thought the first hour was so so, but the last hour (especially the last five minutes) was incredible. Really enjoyed it overall, CGI Tarkin was mind blowing.

Original Poster

axolotly

Thought the first hour was so so, but the last hour (especially the last … Thought the first hour was so so, but the last hour (especially the last five minutes) was incredible. Really enjoyed it overall, CGI Tarkin was mind blowing.

Oh that last segment was amazing. Like 'Oldboy' but with Vader.

I sort of felt like all the characters were a bit flat. Just shuttling us along to the next set piece or reference. I'm not sure how well it would have stood without all the nudges and winks, you know? I get the feeling that in 6 years when we've got the new trilogy and the three 'Story' movies it'll be looked on as the worst one.

The showing I was at barely any of K-2SO's jokes landed, he felt forced and I really wanted to like him.

lots of rogues in WoW with Rouge in their names. always impressed me

Was definitely slow for the first hour and you could probably cut out 20 minutes but when the action starts the film really picks up. And when Vader makes his appearance things really pick up.
    One thing that annoyed me though was the music - just play the 'star wars' theme and don't tease us with a few bars of it followed by a rubbish track. 7/10

Original Poster

bryanhaines399

lots of rogues in WoW with Rouge in their names. always impressed me

Sorted.

Original Poster

woody_____

Was definitely slow for the first hour and you could probably cut out 20 … Was definitely slow for the first hour and you could probably cut out 20 minutes but when the action starts the film really picks up. And when Vader makes his appearance things really pick up. One thing that annoyed me though was the music - just play the 'star wars' theme and don't tease us with a few bars of it followed by a rubbish track. 7/10

Yeah, if you're bringing in someone new for the music let them do something new. It was annoying me that it was "legally distinct from John Williams" but still close. It just made me miss his score.

Let's face it, any drama/romp telling a story, hopefully is enjoyable, I guess in this instance linked to the Star Wars World, people have maybe over the top expectations.

I thought it was a great yawn, yeah a bit predictive, but IMO just at the right level, was really impressed with human CGI, I guess the sign of things to come.

I did liked the reprogrammed human droid, I like the cheesey jokes, I loved the cameos, well worth a watch and I glad the studio kept to a one-off story, no sequel for this!

Overall full marks!

That ending...

Think it needed the music and text scrolling at the beginning to set the scene....the mrs thought she was going to see episode 8 until about half way through when she nudged me and asked 'what the hell is going on, i thought darth vader was dead'.

Original Poster

ame2418

Think it needed the music and text scrolling at the beginning to set the … Think it needed the music and text scrolling at the beginning to set the scene....the mrs thought she was going to see episode 8 until about half way through when she nudged me and asked 'what the hell is going on, i thought darth vader was dead'.

tut, women!

And the kids fell asleep....definitely one for the fans i think.

Original Poster

ame2418

And the kids fell asleep....definitely one for the fans i think.

I thought when watching it that it might not keep the kids interested, particularly the beginning. The actions scenes were good though.

Krooner

Anyone else seen it yet?

Yes, but I have not (yet).

Krooner

Enjoyed the film, but not sure I really enjoyed it if you know what I … Enjoyed the film, but not sure I really enjoyed it if you know what I mean...

No, I have no idea what you mean.

One of the worse films i have seen,im a huge star wars and was so disappointed in rogue 1.sooner of seen a follow up to the superb force awakens
    sort of reminds me of prometheus,uses the franchises name but doesnt deliver the goods,

Original Poster

themachman

One of the worse films i have seen,im a huge star wars and was so … One of the worse films i have seen,im a huge star wars and was so disappointed in rogue 1.sooner of seen a follow up to the superb force awakens :)sort of reminds me of prometheus,uses the franchises name but doesnt deliver the goods,

Really? One of the worst films you've seen?? How many have you watched???

Krooner

Really? One of the worst films you've seen?? How many have you watched???

Thousands so thats how bad it was

Original Poster

themachman

Thousands so thats how bad it was

I did enjoy 'episode 7' more, but I didn't think R1 was bad at all. After thinking about it for a day and a bit I think I just feel a little bit manipulated by it. It's a solid 3/5 though.
    Edited by: "Krooner" 17th Dec 2016

themachman

One of the worse films i have seen,im a huge star wars and was so … One of the worse films i have seen,im a huge star wars and was so disappointed in rogue 1.sooner of seen a follow up to the superb force awakens :)sort of reminds me of prometheus,uses the franchises name but doesnt deliver the goods,

Hehe

I love it when we all have different interpretations of the film stories we see read.

I got more out of rogue one all be it flawed but enjoyable.

As for the force awakens, now this was just a remake reboot of ep4 a new hope
    Exactly same story retold just brought to a new younger generation for the franchise to turn the money handle sell the merchandise
    Missing a super villain a having a girl as lead instead of Luke, last one not as issue, just saying. I hope ep8 &9 are not just rehashes of 5&6, so I'm opposite of you rogue full marks, awakens soso soup, must do better.

As a comparison for marvel

I love Antman, Deadpool & Guardians

Yes guardians here ep2 coming but they place more on the Avengers and the off shoots but these blow hot and cold too I guess that's how it goes!

The end of the day the original star wars trilogy is the best ever.lucas ruined it by doing them 3 prequels thinking he still had it.
    empire strikes back is my all time favourite
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/834f0c7c52c79213b710a16c0f4c6294/tumblr_myulqp8MPg1r93xiko3_500.gif

Went with the boys today, really enjoyed it,

I found more so than EpVII that my inner child linked to this film far more seeing characters from A New Hope in there but very sparingly work wonderfully to tie it in with a superb ending..

But one thing I didnt like was I didnt feel any attachment to 2-KSO so when he died it wasnt as emotional as it could of been, and another was a lot of them were using "May the Force Be With You" what I didnt like about that was it didnt feel right that so many people were Force Worshippers as Han gave the feeling in EP VI that it was an old religion no one really took seriously anymore..

but apart from that I really liked it and while its not Empire it takes 2nd Place.

Original Poster

haritori

it didnt feel right that so many people were Force Worshippers as Han … it didnt feel right that so many people were Force Worshippers as Han gave the feeling in EP VI that it was an old religion no one really took seriously anymore..

Yeah, but in and around Jeda (sp?) it's to be expected surely? It's their Jerusalem.

Krooner

Yeah, but in and around Jeda (sp?) it's to be expected surely? It's their … Yeah, but in and around Jeda (sp?) it's to be expected surely? It's their Jerusalem.

Maybe, but it was like the announcer in the Rebel Base saying it and other bits, it just felt wrong,

Original Poster

haritori

Maybe, but it was like the announcer in the Rebel Base saying it and … Maybe, but it was like the announcer in the Rebel Base saying it and other bits, it just felt wrong,

Mmm yeah, I suppose. But saying it doesn't mean they're taking it seriously. Like saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes or whatever. It's just something you say.

You're right on K-S20 though, just felt nothing when he dropped. They should have gone the full HK-47 with him.

She fell asleep halfway through. Awful film.

Krooner

Mmm yeah, I suppose. But saying it doesn't mean they're taking it … Mmm yeah, I suppose. But saying it doesn't mean they're taking it seriously. Like saying "god bless you" when someone sneezes or whatever. It's just something you say. You're right on K-S20 though, just felt nothing when he dropped. They should have gone the full HK-47 with him.

'K-S20'!! I couldn't remember lol.

Huge star wars fan. Loved this. Hated cgi Tarkin and Leia. A good few years away from replacing actors. Too much reverence towards Lucas there.

Original Poster

mk8

Huge star wars fan. Loved this. Hated cgi Tarkin and Leia. A good few … Huge star wars fan. Loved this. Hated cgi Tarkin and Leia. A good few years away from replacing actors. Too much reverence towards Lucas there.

I thought they looked okay. I think you're right with it being a couple of years before it's perfect, but they can come back and fiddle with it in true Star Wars tradition!!

Krooner

I thought they looked okay. I think you're right with it being a couple … I thought they looked okay. I think you're right with it being a couple of years before it's perfect, but they can come back and fiddle with it in true Star Wars tradition!!

It's an effect that is either flawless or it pulls you right out if the movie. I hope it looks better come the home release.

mk8

It's an effect that is either flawless or it pulls you right out if the … It's an effect that is either flawless or it pulls you right out if the movie. I hope it looks better come the home release.

Best we have seen though, but yes wasnt 100% you could tell, and even more so on Leia...

Was thinking maybe Disney will make Rogue Two and we can see many Bothans die

Anyone else think with the ending it was like they really wanted this film to replace the prequels?
    Edited by: "haritori" 18th Dec 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …281976
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp12
      3. What is there free to do in your town?37
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635

See more discussions