Rolex Submariner

Posted 8th Mar
can anyone help? I fancy a Rolex Submariner as my retirement present. When I look online the big names such as watches of Switzerland all advertise them at about £7200 however when you make enquiries with them they are all out of stock with a waiting list in excess of 3 years??!!.
It's hard to believe but I just simply cant find one and don't fancy internet auction sites or 10 year old ones with no paperwork.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
Have a look on Watches of Wales website, they keep popping up on there(I see them on instagram) a little bit more expensive but they are a legit dealer. Enjoy your retirement by the way
Is a retirement present something you buy for yourself?
jb3708/03/2020 14:56

Have a look on Watches of Wales website, they keep popping up on there(I …Have a look on Watches of Wales website, they keep popping up on there(I see them on instagram) a little bit more expensive but they are a legit dealer. Enjoy your retirement by the way

Many thanks
JumpMan198008/03/2020 14:57

Is a retirement present something you buy for yourself?

Yes... with the cash from my good colleagues generosity
I think you’re a bit optimistic on the price, but good luck.
Back in the eighties I was into watches big time and remember the going rate for a gold Rolex oyster was around the 2 1/2k mark, had great fun chopping and changing watches, had a few deals with Austin Kaye in the strand but sadly they’ve gone now.
There are loads of pawn shops around these days, might be worth a look?
Edited by: "cycleman" 8th Mar
cycleman08/03/2020 15:12

I think you’re a bit optimistic on the price, but good luck.Back in the e …I think you’re a bit optimistic on the price, but good luck.Back in the eighties I was into watches big time and remember the going rate for a gold Rolex oyster was around the 2 1/2k mark, had great fun chopping and changing watches, had a few deals with Austin Kaye in the strand but sadly they’ve gone now.There are loads of pawn shops around these days, might be worth a look?

Many thanks
welcome to the world of classic Rolex marketing...

desirable products but unavailable = more desirable products

you will be doing really well to get one anywhere near rrp....

Whenever the new models come out they are snapped up by collectors, by regular Rolex customers, even by the watch dealers in the shop. These are the ones you will see on watchmaster and the reseller sites at at least twice the price.

It's been happening for years.

If ever you see one when you are out and about (unlikely) do not hesitate. Buy it straight away. But your chances will be slim.

I would never ever buy a second hand one without papers, never.

If you are willing to buy a second hand one make sure it has providence and make sure it's from a reputable dealer and do it face to face, not on the internet.
imavillan08/03/2020 17:18

welcome to the world of classic Rolex marketing...desirable products but …welcome to the world of classic Rolex marketing...desirable products but unavailable = more desirable productsyou will be doing really well to get one anywhere near rrp....Whenever the new models come out they are snapped up by collectors, by regular Rolex customers, even by the watch dealers in the shop. These are the ones you will see on watchmaster and the reseller sites at at least twice the price.It's been happening for years.If ever you see one when you are out and about (unlikely) do not hesitate. Buy it straight away. But your chances will be slim.I would never ever buy a second hand one without papers, never.If you are willing to buy a second hand one make sure it has providence and make sure it's from a reputable dealer and do it face to face, not on the internet.

Thank you...good advice
Check out some dealers with good ratings on chrono24 also hackett watches in London
Edited by: "DaveG46" 8th Mar
DaveG4608/03/2020 18:00

Check out some dealers with good ratings on chrono24

Thank you
Get yourself registered with a maximum of 3 dealers, I registered with 2 mid 2018 and by chance also put my name down in goldsmiths start of dec 2018, 2 weeks later was lucky to get a call, the other 2 places still haven’t got back to me ! Good luck it’ll be worth the wait.
Edited by: "spaceman23" 8th Mar
spaceman2308/03/2020 19:01

Get yourself registered with a maximum of 3 dealers, I registered with 2 …Get yourself registered with a maximum of 3 dealers, I registered with 2 mid 2018 and by chance also put my name down in goldsmiths start of dec 2018, 2 weeks later was lucky to get a call, the other 2 places still haven’t got back to me ! Good luck it’ll be worth the wait.

Thank you
spaceman2308/03/2020 19:01

Get yourself registered with a maximum of 3 dealers, I registered with 2 …Get yourself registered with a maximum of 3 dealers, I registered with 2 mid 2018 and by chance also put my name down in goldsmiths start of dec 2018, 2 weeks later was lucky to get a call, the other 2 places still haven’t got back to me ! Good luck it’ll be worth the wait.

Would you mind telling me what dealer got back to you? Cheers pal
Manny5008/03/2020 21:20

Would you mind telling me what dealer got back to you? Cheers pal

Goldsmiths.. mappin and Webb...watches of Switzerland and lunns
GLENHESKETH08/03/2020 21:26

Goldsmiths.. mappin and Webb...watches of Switzerland and lunns

Cheers been trying to the green sub for years now on a few waiting lists
On the bright side, for those of us with late model Subs we’ve made a tidy profit, my 2016 114060 no date sub is worth £2k over what I paid for it new in December 2016 (£5400) and I literally walked into Goldsmiths and bought it, no waiting list.

As above, there are rare instances of people getting calls with a watch offer soon after going on a list but I would lower your expectations dramatically.
imavillan08/03/2020 17:18

welcome to the world of classic Rolex marketing...desirable products but …welcome to the world of classic Rolex marketing...desirable products but unavailable = more desirable productsyou will be doing really well to get one anywhere near rrp....Whenever the new models come out they are snapped up by collectors, by regular Rolex customers, even by the watch dealers in the shop. These are the ones you will see on watchmaster and the reseller sites at at least twice the price.It's been happening for years.If ever you see one when you are out and about (unlikely) do not hesitate. Buy it straight away. But your chances will be slim.I would never ever buy a second hand one without papers, never.If you are willing to buy a second hand one make sure it has providence and make sure it's from a reputable dealer and do it face to face, not on the internet.

It's going back 20 odd years, but I had my name down on a list with Watches of Switzerland Bond St for a Stainless Steel Daytona with a 5 year waiting list. Every 3 months I would phone through to see where I was on the list and I think I moved from 120th to 90th over a 2 year period. Then at the next check in I was told I wasn't on a list and there was nothing the could do for me. I phoned Rolex and complained, and within 2 weeks I received a phone call from Rolex telling me my choice of watch face colour would be available for collection within 7 days from Mappin & Webb Bond St. So with all of these things there is always availability if needs be.

2nd hand stocks in Tokyo are amazing. Boxed with papers is just the norm for 2nd hand watches there, and it's hard to distinguish many of them from brand new including the box condition
Edited by: "OllieSt" 8th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants