Roof tiles without underfelt

Found 8th Apr
Hi,

Our house roof has tiles but doesn't have any underfelt. We noticed when it recently snowed that the water started seeping into the loft and then into the bedroom ceiling. This doesn't happen when it rains.

The roof tiles are in good condition so I don't want to replace them.

Is there anything else we can do without having to remove all the roof tiles and installing underfelt? I assume any grants are long gone?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Get foam sprayed from inside loft. Companies around that do it
Edited by: "wayners" 8th Apr
i was under the impression underfelt isnt strictly 'necessary' - i think your problem lies with the actual roof rather than the lack of an underfelt.

some older houses dont even have underfelt but you dont see them leaking everytime it rains (I'm sure some do)
wayners38 m ago

Yes, do this, it should stop the snow blowing in under the tiles and then melting, which is the problem you have, and it'll also help insulate your loft, stop the draughts and make it a lot warmer up there.
wayners1 h, 6 m ago

I was always under the impression that this was not a good idea, as it can cause condensation and make things worse?
Dyslexic_Dog12 h, 29 m ago

I was always under the impression that this was not a good idea, as it can …I was always under the impression that this was not a good idea, as it can cause condensation and make things worse?

I don't know much about it although seen at trade shops and idea home exhibition.. Also seen on jobs I've worked on.. Looks OK to me but maybe they fit vents? Need air flow in loft
Only a suggestion but before you start sealing the loft make sure it is ventilated.
I wouldnt want to live in a house that has no roofing underfelt if you are getting water in even after snow chances are over time things will rot. id just get it done its not a massive job to felt, batton and retile for a decent builder/roofer. Not sure about this spray stuff people are talking about I've seen it and heard its a pain to remove if something later goes wrong.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants