rooms tax despite having my daughter half the week?

25 replies
Found 13th Jun
Been offered a house for the first time and told I'd have to pay room tax even though I have my daughter the same amount of time her mum does?
Anyone know a way around this?

25 Comments

No way round unless you get full custody of your daughter. Think person has to be down as living with you on the tenancy.

is this private rented accommodation? which country are you in?

Original Poster

England and it's a council house

Buy a house and don't expect the rest of us to fund your lifestyle. Lots of us would love spare or semi-spare rooms but when you have to pay for yourself it's not always an option.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 13th Jun

Sell her or pay up

drtongue

Sell her or pay up

​oO?

Pretty sure you can get around it, friend of mine has 2 bed flat in a similar situation and I'm sure he doesn’t pay the 'tax'
He did have to argue the case tho'
i,e. if he didn't have the bedroom where did they expect his daughter to sleep - in the same room as him !?!
also if you have to pay it amounts to you paying to see your daughter.
Edited by: "Roderz" 13th Jun

No point in arguing, no regulation to allow another bedroom, if on benefits you can apply for a dhp for the shortfall and use your circumstances as why you bed the spare bedroom. look on your local council website, you may be able to apply online, also if there is a court decision that states you need to have her some of the time that would be useful to supply to them as well in support of your dhp.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Buy a house and don't expect the rest of us to fund your lifestyle. Lots … Buy a house and don't expect the rest of us to fund your lifestyle. Lots of us would love spare or semi-spare rooms but when you have to pay for yourself it's not always an option.

​im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after my young at the same time,not everyone gets life handed to them.

connorb13

im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after … im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after my young at the same time,not everyone gets life handed to them.

Connor you don't have to waste your time replying to stupid people, some people speak without knowing the other persons situation, well done that your studying and working and looking after a little one ignore the stupid comments from stupid people, flipping keyboard warriors need to keep there stupid comments to themselves! Rant over lol, that's daft that you have to pay bedroom tax why don't you call them and explain that you have joint custody and that the room is for your daughter for when she's in your care and she can't sleep in same room as you, good luck Hun x

connorb13

​im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking a … ​im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after my young at the same time,not everyone gets life handed to them.

​I take my hat off, ignore the trolls

connorb13

​im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking a … ​im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after my young at the same time,not everyone gets life handed to them.

​good luck to you mate. dong have much advice but I'd certainly fight it. dcx_badass thinks he a badass with a keyboard. Just another trumpet out there. Good luck

connorb13

Top man

connorb13

​Ignore the idiots and their unhelpful comments, in relation to your daughter, it's whoever receives the child benefit is classed as the primary carer unless a court states otherwise, ergo, you don't receive any of the benefits.

dcx_badass

Buy a house and don't expect the rest of us to fund your lifestyle. Lots … Buy a house and don't expect the rest of us to fund your lifestyle. Lots of us would love spare or semi-spare rooms but when you have to pay for yourself it's not always an option.

not sure why this is getting so many negative votes. it's pathetic the way people are voting negatives on ask. this is why the new layout is so much better as it stops idiots abusing their voting power.

i think this is fair comment. why should the tax payer pay for the OP's extra room?

inb4 all the negative voting on this post. fill your boots.
Edited by: "mutley1" 13th Jun

connorb13

im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after … im sorry for being full time in university having a job and looking after my young at the same time,not everyone gets life handed to them.

the laws on room tax is because too many council tenants are living in properties too big for them so the tax is brought in to give people incentive to move to smaller accommodation to free up large properties for families that actually need it.

you may say that you actually need the room for your daughter but she already has a room at her mum, so you are lucky to even get a council property with an extra room so you should be grateful.

sorry to sound harsh, but you are asking for advice on a public forum to defraud the public purse, 'a way to get round this', is pretty much, a way to defraud.

mutley1

the laws on room tax is because too many council tenants are living in … the laws on room tax is because too many council tenants are living in properties too big for them so the tax is brought in to give people incentive to move to smaller accommodation to free up large properties for families that actually need it.you may say that you actually need the room for your daughter but she already has a room at her mum, so you are lucky to even get a council property with an extra room so you should be grateful.sorry to sound harsh, but you are asking for advice on a public forum to defraud the public purse, 'a way to get round this', is pretty much, a way to defraud.

I see you conviniently forget to mention there's a massive housing shortage, so these smaller properties people can change to simply don't exist. And the law was brought in despite knowing this.

Also clearly the op was asking if there is a legitimate help for him, yet you accuse him of fraud out of no where. I think you're the criminal here, and will report you.

cowsindahouse

I see you conviniently forget to mention there's a massive housing … I see you conviniently forget to mention there's a massive housing shortage, so these smaller properties people can change to simply don't exist. And the law was brought in despite knowing this.Also clearly the op was asking if there is a legitimate help for him, yet you accuse him of fraud out of no where. I think you're the criminal here, and will report you.

Agree "fraud" is a bit strong for someone asking for genuine advice!

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the principle, I can somewhat understand the logic behind it, 2 x 2 bed properties housing 3 people could theoretically house 4 people.

Sadly, with the number of houses available vs people on the list, the welfare system is not very accommodating for split parenting.

cowsindahouse

I see you conviniently forget to mention there's a massive housing … I see you conviniently forget to mention there's a massive housing shortage, so these smaller properties people can change to simply don't exist. And the law was brought in despite knowing this.Also clearly the op was asking if there is a legitimate help for him, yet you accuse him of fraud out of no where. I think you're the criminal here, and will report you.

report me for what may i ask? it is fraud trying to get round a legitimate cost, which is put in place for a reason. have you ever lived in a council property so from what source are you quoting your knowledge? there are one bedroom flats that are available, possibly not in the area that the OP would like, it is the bigger properties that are in shortage supply as people will not move out when their children have grown up.

i see many people continue to live in huge properties by themselves when their children have grown up and moved out. it is therefore only right that they should pay for the extra room.

I have given you a possible answer above, LA's have been given a bigger pot of DHP funds to help, there is no short cut way round the SSSC.

It's not a tax. Basically you get less benefit for the house you are trying to rent from the local authority.

Give it a few months and the bedroom tax could be abolished.

and the bedroom tax could be abolished.

That would be right around the time the housing shortage is over
Housing shortage finishes

If you really have equal time at your property with your daughter what about changing the child benefit into your name that way the authority would have proof that you looked after your daughter and had need for the bedroom. If you then wanted to you could pay the benefit back to her mother so no one loses out??
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition47382
    2. Win free gin for a year88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…44
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414

See more discussions