Expired

ROSACEA SUFFERERS ADVICE ON BEAUTY PRODUCTS?

Found 16th May 2014
Hi.
A friend has recently been diagnosed with Rosacea: Subtype 1 (erythematotelangiectatic rosacea), characterized by flushing and persistent redness, and may also include visible blood vessels.
It's a field in beauty I don't have enough knowledge to give her advice which products to try, she goes back to her GP next Friday but she wants to see what others have tried and tested and I said I would post on here for her.
Facially she is experiencing the burning sensation all over and her face flushes beetroot eg when going from cool to warm environment or just in a warm/hot environment.
She has had combination skin all her life (she is in her 40's) but is now experiencing patches of dryness around the outer edges of her face and her face feels tight and sore all the time now, although she still has a shiny t-zone. She does not have the redness all the time but when it flares up it can last 3hrs until it's gone and she said it is agony with the burning sensation.
Can any of you who are sufferers and are diagnosed with her type of Rosacea offer any hints, tips and advice to what beauty products you are using? I have got her to change to Bare Minerals makeup and that is doing a great job but she needs a full beauty range and regime to replace her usual products, as even in their sensitive range it is not working to reduce the tight, unnourished and burning feeling.
I am not asking for medical advice as she has her GP for that, aside from the obvious ranges like La Roche Posay, I am not finding much on reviews or tried and tested advice on recommended products in the UK.
Thanks in advance for any info'!
Dea.
Community Updates
AskHealth & Beauty
11 Comments
My mum sent me some samples of this stuff which is new at Boots:
http://www.boots.com/en/Dermalex-Rosacea-Cream-30g_1297496/
I haven't been using it long enough to say if its very effective, but it might be worth getting a sample to try?
Butterbean

My mum sent me some samples of this stuff which is new at … My mum sent me some samples of this stuff which is new at Boots:http://www.boots.com/en/Dermalex-Rosacea-Cream-30g_1297496/I haven't been using it long enough to say if its very effective, but it might be worth getting a sample to try?

Thanks! I will look in to getting a sample for her to try, reviews aren't too good but with skin I believe it's trial and error individually until you find the right products and all recommendations are worth looking in to.
Try Clinique my wife uses their skin stuff all the time, might be slightly more expensive but last for a while and you can ask for samples before you buy.
I have used the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser and I don't find it very good on my skin - it seems like more of a gel and not moisturising enough.
Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour protect is pretty good, and I also like Liz Earle stuff for dry skin. I have to try not to use water on my face though (when cleansing), as that can make things much worse.
I don't have Rosacea but I found EDS (Essential Day Spa forum) full of helpful information and advice from users, might be worth a read.

essentialdayspa.com/for…185 Some advice from the OP on this thread:

Never exfoliate. (I can’t use a washcloth, a cleansing brush, or any cleanser with grainy particles.)
Avoid the sun between 10 and 2; wear a hat, USE SUNSCREEN.
Do not use AHA or BHA. (Some people use BHA with rosacea, I cannot.)
Use a mild cleanser twice a day.
Find out what are irritants for your skin and avoid them. (Common ones = hot showers, alcoholic beverages, eucalyptus or peppermint in skin care products.)
Facials, unless done specifically for rosacea may cause harm, steaming and exfoliating are not recommended for rosaceous skin.
Microdermabrasion is a no-no for rosacea.
Avoid harsh astringents and toners, alcohol and witch hazel should be avoided.
Retinoids should not be used; if they are used, proceed with extreme caution. (Some research is pointing toward retinoids helping rosaceous skin; I, personally, did not do well with retinoids.)
Simple is best.
Expensive does not mean better.
I cannot use products geared towards anti-aging; products that are too active send my skin off the deep end.
Try to treat your skin like it has rosacea before you are diagnosed with rosacea; I really think that you can stop the progression of rosacea with proper early care.

I've read differing experiences about IPL on Rosacea, some love it, some absolutely warn against it and say it made them worse

Avoid eating spicy foods including cinnamon
Avoid drinking alcohol
Avoid heat/steam/hot water
Avoid any harsh detergents, acids, manual exfoliants
Topical zinc and sulfur creams are often recommended, but it's hard to find them without a bunch of added chemicals.

from here: https://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44956

My mother has Rosacea and I sometimes get "blotches" but I don't know if I'll develop it myself...given that I can use TCA acid and Retin-A, I'm assuming I'm OK at the moment.

There is also a Lightstim (LED light) made for Rosacea (I use the Anti-Aging light religiously) but I've read mixed reviews. essentialdayspa.com/for…804
Edited by: "louiselouise" 18th May 2014
david29

Try Clinique my wife uses their skin stuff all the time, might be … Try Clinique my wife uses their skin stuff all the time, might be slightly more expensive but last for a while and you can ask for samples before you buy.

Thanks, will get her to pop to a counter and have a chat with them.
Butterbean

I have used the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser and I don't … I have used the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturiser and I don't find it very good on my skin - it seems like more of a gel and not moisturising enough.Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour protect is pretty good, and I also like Liz Earle stuff for dry skin. I have to try not to use water on my face though (when cleansing), as that can make things much worse.

Thanks for your reply, she has tried Liz Earle but it was causing her skin to sting along with the others she has tried in different ranges.
louiselouise

I don't have Rosacea but I found EDS (Essential Day Spa forum) full of … I don't have Rosacea but I found EDS (Essential Day Spa forum) full of helpful information and advice from users, might be worth a read.http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=19185 Some advice from the OP on this thread:Never exfoliate. (I can’t use a washcloth, a cleansing brush, or any cleanser with grainy particles.)Avoid the sun between 10 and 2; wear a hat, USE SUNSCREEN.Do not use AHA or BHA. (Some people use BHA with rosacea, I cannot.)Use a mild cleanser twice a day.Find out what are irritants for your skin and avoid them. (Common ones = hot showers, alcoholic beverages, eucalyptus or peppermint in skin care products.)Facials, unless done specifically for rosacea may cause harm, steaming and exfoliating are not recommended for rosaceous skin.Microdermabrasion is a no-no for rosacea.Avoid harsh astringents and toners, alcohol and witch hazel should be avoided.Retinoids should not be used; if they are used, proceed with extreme caution. (Some research is pointing toward retinoids helping rosaceous skin; I, personally, did not do well with retinoids.)Simple is best.Expensive does not mean better.I cannot use products geared towards anti-aging; products that are too active send my skin off the deep end.Try to treat your skin like it has rosacea before you are diagnosed with rosacea; I really think that you can stop the progression of rosacea with proper early care. I've read differing experiences about IPL on Rosacea, some love it, some absolutely warn against it and say it made them worse :(Avoid eating spicy foods including cinnamonAvoid drinking alcoholAvoid heat/steam/hot waterAvoid any harsh detergents, acids, manual exfoliantsTopical zinc and sulfur creams are often recommended, but it's hard to find them without a bunch of added chemicals. from here: https://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=44956My mother has Rosacea and I sometimes get "blotches" but I don't know if I'll develop it myself...given that I can use TCA acid and Retin-A, I'm assuming I'm OK at the moment.There is also a Lightstim (LED light) made for Rosacea (I use the Anti-Aging light religiously) but I've read mixed reviews. http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=35804

Thanks for your response, will pass on the info to her! Much appreciated.
Dea332

Thanks for your response, will pass on the info to her! Much appreciated.

I know you didn't ask specifically about makeup but my mum (who has rosacea) uses Elizabeth Arden's Flawless Finish (cream compact) on her face to cover up her red cheeks. I also recommended it to a drag queen friend (which I know isn't the highest recommendation!! but she actually uses the same shade my mum does, haha).

Personally it would be too heavy for my skin and would make me break out, but might be worth considering also.
louiselouise

I know you didn't ask specifically about makeup but my mum (who has … I know you didn't ask specifically about makeup but my mum (who has rosacea) uses Elizabeth Arden's Flawless Finish (cream compact) on her face to cover up her red cheeks. I also recommended it to a drag queen friend (which I know isn't the highest recommendation!! but she actually uses the same shade my mum does, haha).Personally it would be too heavy for my skin and would make me break out, but might be worth considering also.

Thanks, will pass it on! The ingredients are vital the more a I am looking in to it for her (I have extensive beauty knowledge but not for this condition). One of the no-no's is products with alcohol and so many that are on the market that say, 'Hypoallergenic, non-comedognic, for sensitive reactive skin, incl Rosacea actually contain the ingredients that have to be avoided.
The USA is ahead of us for research (UK Rosacea Foundatin lost funding and could not survive eventually), and they are far stricter on ingredients so at the moment Ihave found two that she can get here, I have contacted the suppliers for samples.
Avène has a few products that states are suitable for Rosacea, they were horrendous, her face flared up like someone had lit a match.
Sill looking!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants