Expired

Rough cost to replace a radiator with a heated towel rail?

Found 25th Sep 2013
Not wanting to break my house, anyone have a rough idea what I would look at spending to change a water rad for a water towel rail thing, the chrome kind ?

4 Comments

The biggest problem you'll have is the existing pipe position and whether they are surface mounted or concealed. Could be anywhere from 2 or 3 hours if simple to 6 hours or more if they are buried. Plumbers are around 20 to 25 quid an hour around here (Midlands) plus cost of towel rail. On top of this, not many towel rails give the same heat output as a radiator. You're probably better to mount a fancy towel rail above your existing rad.
Hope this helps a bit.

We were also told heat output on heated towel rails was poor, so we did not go for that option. But our radiator is small and hard to put towel rail nearby.

Can you buy electric rails that don't need to be plumbed in. We have a mirror with lights, has electric supply. Considering this, if possible. Hate damp towels:)

Towel rail are about 1/3 the output of a conventional radiator..Depanding on BTU output it may not warm your bathroom so before you buy google BTU calculator answer the questions it asks and then it will give you the BTU output you need for that room at least then you can make an educated choice and you are not paying out for something that is useless.

Original Poster

yve67

Towel rail are about 1/3 the output of a conventional radiator..Depanding … Towel rail are about 1/3 the output of a conventional radiator..Depanding on BTU output it may not warm your bathroom so before you buy google BTU calculator answer the questions it asks and then it will give you the BTU output you need for that room at least then you can make an educated choice and you are not paying out for something that is useless.

Thanks for the info, the bathroom is tiny, and most of the time we don't have the heating on in there so I don't think it will be a problem, another way to do it would be to remove the rad altogether and then fit an electric rail which comes on with the light, a possibility.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions