Roughly how much would electrician cost for first fix on a very small two bedroom cottage?

Found 3rd Jun 2015
I have very small two bedroom cottage in argyll that i am in the process of renovating. It been a back to the walls job and we are finally at the stage of needing an electrician. We had one in at the weekend and his quote has come in at £4250. I am gutted as we have no where near that amount of money,we're doing it bit by bit and the biggest expense so far was the roofing which was £2700 and which we thought would be the most expensive part. Does it really cost that amount to get wired up?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

It really depends on the size of the cottage and what needs done.

Is it for a full retire with new consumer box?

Are any of the electrics being moved? (I.e. The consumer box, live input, sockets etc?)

Original Poster

forever_happy

It really depends on the size of the cottage and what needs done.Is it … It really depends on the size of the cottage and what needs done.Is it for a full retire with new consumer box? Are any of the electrics being moved? (I.e. The consumer box, live input, sockets etc?)

Thanks for the reply. At the moment there are no electrics at all. There is a live ( capped ) cable that comes through the adjoining cottage into ours. I'll have to get the electricity company to come and put a meter on it. The cottage was derelict.
I've just noticed the quote is excluding vat. I could weep!
The cottage is about 50 square meters.
Looking at the quote again it must be for the full re wiring work and not just the first fix. We had wanted down lighters in the hall/living room/kitchen as the ceiling is really low. Would that be a big expense.?
I imagined about £1500 for first fix. Although admittedly that was plucked from the air. Well, based on work we've had done previously elsewhere. Although I didn't imgine the rest of the work would the that much more!
Edited by: "zoggomomma" 3rd Jun 2015

Have you tried streetlife.com? A social networking site specific to your own local area, if you put the question on there someone might have a better quote and they will be a local. Hope you get it sorted.

2 bedroom, Electric shower? Electric cooker/hob?
These increase the cost due to the cable size etc.
I last did a complete retire on a 3 bed semi and charged £2250 about 8 years ago - that's all in including testing and certifying.
Basic materials (Cable, switches, back boxes, sockets, lights, fuse board and breakers) was between £400-£500.
I would imagine you would get it done for around the same sort of price nowadays if you haven't got people trying to over price and tuck you up.

^REWIRE - great predictive text.

Original Poster

kingkoumas

2 bedroom, Electric shower? Electric cooker/hob?These increase the cost … 2 bedroom, Electric shower? Electric cooker/hob?These increase the cost due to the cable size etc.I last did a complete retire on a 3 bed semi and charged £2250 about 8 years ago - that's all in including testing and certifying.Basic materials (Cable, switches, back boxes, sockets, lights, fuse board and breakers) was between £400-£500.I would imagine you would get it done for around the same sort of price nowadays if you haven't got people trying to over price and tuck you up.

Thanks, very interesting! That's much closer to what I was expecting.

Surely better to get a few quotes from different companies to compare

expect £1200-£1500 labour + £500 worth of materials on top.
£4250 sounds way overpriced IMO unless there are some serious complications with the wiring installations.
£2000 mark sounds realistic.

Try mybuilder.com
If you post the job on there you will get several local tradesmen out who will look at what needs doing and quote you for the work , before touching anything, and it is totally free. You can chose who to employ or if your not happy with the quotes, you don't have to employ any of them.
I've had a load of kitchen units fitted for £200 and a bit of plastering done for £75 = good prices from there.

I also got a new consumer unit (17th edition) fitted for £85 labour + £50 parts a couple of years ago.

Good luck

Original Poster

elliott1982

Surely better to get a few quotes from different companies to compare

Thanks, yes, thats the plan now!

Original Poster

118luke

expect £1200-£1500 labour + £500 worth of materials on top. £4250 sounds w … expect £1200-£1500 labour + £500 worth of materials on top. £4250 sounds way overpriced IMO unless there are some serious complications with the wiring installations. £2000 mark sounds realistic.

Thanks, my panic is subsiding. There are no complications. Its all stripped back, the stud is up and it should be a pretty straightforward job.

Original Poster

Fully_Legit

Try mybuilder.comIf you post the job on there you will get several local … Try mybuilder.comIf you post the job on there you will get several local tradesmen out who will look at what needs doing and quote you for the work , before touching anything, and it is totally free. You can chose who to employ or if your not happy with the quotes, you don't have to employ any of them.I've had a load of kitchen units fitted for £200 and a bit of plastering done for £75 = good prices from there. I also got a new consumer unit (17th edition) fitted for £85 labour + £50 parts a couple of years ago.Good luck

Thanks, not heard of that, I'll have a look.

It sounds like an excessive quote!

Labour should be in the £1500-£1800 range with £500 to £700 materials depending on what you choose.

Down lighters are cheap to buy and cheap to install, as are most electrical items. Just look at costs on screwfix to price up your parts. Cable prices fluctuate almost daily, but prices are lower now than last year.

I'm thinking you got an expensive quote due to the location. Could be if the company/guy was local then they may not expect much competition. That's where mybuilder and findatradesman come in handy.

Overall, I think you should realistically set a budget of £2300 to £2500.

You could also offer to labour for the electrician which may bring the cost down slightly, however there is only a ltd number of electricians that would do this.

its a bit steep. Ring around or try sites like mybuilder, yell, gumtree, local news paper. i am pretty sure u can get it done below £2000 thats 1st fix and 2nd.

A cottage can make things much more difficult if you have no ceiling space, (exposed beams), solid stone walls etc.

I would avoid quote sites, only the worst tradesmen need to pay £50+ for a job 'lead'. Get a guy that isn't VAT registered - much more chance of him doing the actual work rather than a couple of teenage apprentices from a larger firm. Avoid trying to supply parts, you will put of a lot of sparks, and will save nothing.

If you've bought the cottage in an area you don't know ask in shop/pub for recommendations. Most villages have a local spark living there along with about 3 plumbers.

Original Poster

So for the first fix it cost £1800. Not had the bill for the second fix yet but that shouldn't be nearly as bad.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions