Router

Posted 2nd Jun
I'm in dire need of a router especially for gaming. (PS4) I have a wired connection for the ps4 and I get around 40mbs usually and very rarely 90+. currently on 100mbs+ with virgin media who are very annoying nowadays. I have their router the superhub 3 I believe and I heard it's terrible. This is my first post so go easy on me if I make any mistakes lol.

on another note I also have dead zones if my house, if I'm able to kill two birds with one stone that would be great. I'm not the most tech savvy guy but i think I know the basics.

thank you for your help
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I use an AC68U - Custom firmware to Merlin though, its pretty good. The Asus firmware is decent too so shouldnt need to change firmware if you don't know what you're doing. Have had no issues with wifi but then again I dont have any issues with SH3 wifi either. If the AC68U doesnt fix your issue with the deadzones then its your house thats the problem.

Your router alternatives would be powerline adapters but greatly depend on your electricity cabling as well as it does lose speed the further it travels.

PSN network is not the best to test your speeds on. Most likely that will be your issue, unless your testing it on your phone or something else. A router wired to your PS4 is very likely to give you the exact same results.
The Asus firmware is pretty easy to use, it doesn't take much to get it working pretty sensibly. Just keep in mind that you'll still need the Superhub - you'll need to put it into modem mode though.
For dead zones I'd strongly consider running some Cat6 around and adding a wireless access point (or more, depending on house size and construction.) A Unifi AC Lite or similar is pretty effective at getting solid connections around the house. Whilst not mesh, when I was running an Asus router with Unifi AP devices were handed off easily enough.
ambc_66602/06/2020 18:25

I use an AC68U - Custom firmware to Merlin though, its pretty good. The …I use an AC68U - Custom firmware to Merlin though, its pretty good. The Asus firmware is decent too so shouldnt need to change firmware if you don't know what you're doing. Have had no issues with wifi but then again I dont have any issues with SH3 wifi either. If the AC68U doesnt fix your issue with the deadzones then its your house thats the problem.Your router alternatives would be powerline adapters but greatly depend on your electricity cabling as well as it does lose speed the further it travels.PSN network is not the best to test your speeds on. Most likely that will be your issue, unless your testing it on your phone or something else. A router wired to your PS4 is very likely to give you the exact same results.

do you have to connect the 68u to your isp hub?
ambc_66602/06/2020 18:25

I use an AC68U - Custom firmware to Merlin though, its pretty good. The …I use an AC68U - Custom firmware to Merlin though, its pretty good. The Asus firmware is decent too so shouldnt need to change firmware if you don't know what you're doing. Have had no issues with wifi but then again I dont have any issues with SH3 wifi either. If the AC68U doesnt fix your issue with the deadzones then its your house thats the problem.Your router alternatives would be powerline adapters but greatly depend on your electricity cabling as well as it does lose speed the further it travels.PSN network is not the best to test your speeds on. Most likely that will be your issue, unless your testing it on your phone or something else. A router wired to your PS4 is very likely to give you the exact same results.

Thank you for your response,
I live in a three storey house if that's relevant. I'll keep you updated in my search for a router. It's been annoying throughout lockdown.
tenohfive02/06/2020 18:34

The Asus firmware is pretty easy to use, it doesn't take much to get it …The Asus firmware is pretty easy to use, it doesn't take much to get it working pretty sensibly. Just keep in mind that you'll still need the Superhub - you'll need to put it into modem mode though.For dead zones I'd strongly consider running some Cat6 around and adding a wireless access point (or more, depending on house size and construction.) A Unifi AC Lite or similar is pretty effective at getting solid connections around the house. Whilst not mesh, when I was running an Asus router with Unifi AP devices were handed off easily enough.

Any links ?
Mendoza02/06/2020 18:42

do you have to connect the 68u to your isp hub?

Yeah Superhub 3 in modem mode, sorry for very late reply on this.
ambc_66614/06/2020 02:55

Yeah Superhub 3 in modem mode, sorry for very late reply on this.

no worries, I have a TalkTalk router, not sure it does modem mode
Im not adsl so its different, you'd go for the adsl router and replace the full thing
Post a comment
@
    Text