router advice

Posted 6th Oct
im currently using a plusnet router but i need something with a range of about 40m. aslo is it possible to setup a VPN on certain connections in the router? i dont want to put all devices through the VPN just in case it slows down my Pc for gaming. Would i be better off just buying a seperate VPN router and connecting it?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I once questioned Plusnet about using two routers on the one connection and was advised strongly against it. I can't remember why but there were some pretty compelling reasons for not doing so.
Just buy an Netgear R7000 Cex have a used one for under £70.. It will meet all of your above needs without complicating matters with dual routers which would prob give you double NAT issues as well, which wouldn't be good for gaming.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 6th Oct
Trying to get more range out of the single access point in a router is always a dicey proposition, you're better off adding a second access point to the network.

Ringfinger06/10/2019 14:18

I once questioned Plusnet about using two routers on the one connection …I once questioned Plusnet about using two routers on the one connection and was advised strongly against it. I can't remember why but there were some pretty compelling reasons for not doing so.

Routers bridge two networks. Typically the internet and your home network. Adding a second router and creating a second home network is added complexity with no benefit. Expanding the first network with switches and access points is a lot simpler.
What people forget is that even though a router might be able to broadcast to 40m, the device such as a phone etc may not be able to reply, it’s 2 way communication not just 1
Edited by: "mds1256" 6th Oct
I used an ASUS router with vpn, with my plusnet router. Anything that didn’t need to go through the vpn still connected to the plusnet router.
I use netgear WiFi extenders to improve coverage.
Unfortunately I don’t think you can route some devices through the vpn, and not others.
You can send certain devices through a VPN with DD-WRT, it's called "Policy Based Routing" certain VPN's have guides to help you do this, not sure it's easy though.

Apparently ExpressVPN have their own firmware for certain routers which makes this easier?

I still had this link from when I was looking into doing the same. Scroll down for DD-WRT.

comparitech.com/blo…ing/
Edited by: "4Real2016" 6th Oct
thanks everyone
It depends on which Plusnet PoC you have but BT home hub 6 works on plusnet once you change the account and password. It has vastly superior wifi range and performance
EndlessWaves06/10/2019 15:11

Trying to get more range out of the single access point in a router is …Trying to get more range out of the single access point in a router is always a dicey proposition, you're better off adding a second access point to the network.Routers bridge two networks. Typically the internet and your home network. Adding a second router and creating a second home network is added complexity with no benefit. Expanding the first network with switches and access points is a lot simpler.

A bridge is a at the data link layer (layer 2) to join two physically different networks as one (a multiport bridge is aka switch). A router is to route traffic over layer 3 and onto different distinct networks

As to your point on if poster actually needs multiple routers it does sound it may be overkill for their use.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants