Groups

router advice wanted please!

My laptop hasn't been wireless for a long time, I've got a feeling my router doesn't work properly as other devices such as iphones or my wii won't detect a wireless connection either. I'm fed up of faffing around with it so am going to get a new one.
    I'm with plusnet so ADSL rather than cable is needed. A techy friend suggested this one:
    pcworld.co.uk/mar…jsp[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadegmglhjdicflgceggdhhmdfhj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=975385&category_oid= but its out of stock in my area.

Can anyone suggest something please? Thats about the right price for me, can't really go much higher. Thanks in advance!

15 Comments

What make is the router you have? Mine is a 2wire which BT rebrand as a business hub and it doesnt have the best wifi signal either, often have to take my laptop right up to it to get a signal but then its fine once its connected.

Anyway just wondering as plusnet are part of BT whether it might be 2wire hubs they are supplying or is it one you bought yourself.

Original Poster

its a d link one (thats all i know lol), the laptop is situated right next to it and can't detect a signal at all. it works fine wired but ideally i'd like to get the router upstairs next to the pc so i can move around with the laptop. It was supplied via plusnet.

honeyb35;4905679

its a d link one (thats all i know lol), the laptop is situated right … its a d link one (thats all i know lol), the laptop is situated right next to it and can't detect a signal at all. it works fine wired but ideally i'd like to get the router upstairs next to the pc so i can move around with the laptop. It was supplied via plusnet.

Id ring their technical support as they supplied it and advise of your problems with it, if it worked initially and is still under warranty they should replace it

Original Poster

jase.2;4905703

Id ring their technical support as they supplied it and advise of your … Id ring their technical support as they supplied it and advise of your problems with it, if it worked initially and is still under warranty they should replace it

I've done that several times, it works for about half an hour after getting off the phone, then dies again, its doing my head in!
    I'm out of contract fairly soon so plan to leave them and go elsewhere...maybe I should wait and see if I can get a supplier that offers a new, decent router.

update the firmware

Original Poster

dontasciime;4905855

update the firmware

the wah?:oops:

honeyb35;4905965

the wah?:oops:

post the exact model number of your dlink modem/router

Banned

Try changing your wireless channel first, maybe inteference.

Turn it upside-down, sticker has the model number on it, something like DSL-2740B

Hold off from flashing the firmware & taking techie friends advice

Original Poster

oh i found it, its DSL - 2640B

honeyb35;4908725

oh i found it, its DSL - 2640B

dlink.co.uk/cs/…per

there is a new firmware and always remember this

Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link wireless product over a wireless … Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link wireless product over a wireless connection. Failure of the device may occur. Use only wired Ethernet connections to the product for updating firmware.

you should have your settings for connecting for your ISP eg your username password and the vci/vpi . keep it handy. (YOU CAN USE info on page 55 of the manual to save your settings to a backup file as well) you SHOULD back them up

before flashing routers (generally) you should find and hold the little reset button in for about 10 seconds to about 15 seconds.

as mentioned never do flashing over wireless connection

you will need to unzip the file (the firmware you downloaded) then follow the instructions on page 56 of the manual (use the maintenance tab and you can then SEE which version Firmware you are currently using ) Have a check then POST which version . I will have a scan of the rest of the manual for your router and see if I can spot something you might have turned on that is causing you the issues) changing the channel as suggested is a good idea and making sure no vents are blocked for it to overheat (eg turn it upside down is another good idea)

This is link to firmware [url]ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2640b/DSL-2640B_fw_4.00.zip[/url]

This is link to pdf manual [url]ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2640b/DSL-2640B_Manual_v1.pdf[/url]

Link to a free pdf reader mirrors.foxitsoftware.com/pub…exe

If it's still in warranty take it back to the shop and get a refund / replacement

Before doing that i suggest you change the channel that the wireless router is operating on, just incase their is some interference.
    Although it is not difficult to flash the routers firmware, you can also brick it, making it useless. I really would advise trying all the other options before flashing the firmware.

spic;4909643

Before doing that i suggest you change the channel that the wireless … Before doing that i suggest you change the channel that the wireless router is operating on, just incase their is some interference.Although it is not difficult to flash the routers firmware, you can also brick it, making it useless. I really would advise trying all the other options before flashing the firmware.

Shut up I wanted to buy a cheap seemingly broken router. :whistling:

I already said before doing that change the channel and look at something else being responsible

As in
    soupy;4908184

Try changing your wireless channel first, maybe inteference.Turn it … Try changing your wireless channel first, maybe inteference.Turn it upside-down, sticker has the model number on it, something like DSL-2740B :)Hold off from flashing the firmware & taking techie friends advice

You are right thogh before all that

dontasciime;4909671

Shut up I wanted to buy a cheap seemingly broken router. :whistling:I … Shut up I wanted to buy a cheap seemingly broken router. :whistling:I already said before doing that change the channel and look at something else being responsibleAs in You are right thogh before all that

Sorry, what I was meant to say is its broken, and you may as well sell it to dontasciime...

No It was a joke (I know you know that) I have too many modem routers / routers

Original Poster

thanks for everyones help! I'm going to try it all in a sec - changing channel etc first! Wish me luck!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon S&S price fix question22
      2. Has anyone found any Baileys Pumpkin Spiced for sale in the UK ?33
      3. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?11
      4. Three connection45

See more discussions