Router: Does it hold any personal info?

13 replies
Found 9th Jan 2008
OK I can already hear the sniggers, but long story short I seem to have a dodgy router (wired) that I need to return/replace. Thing is I read somewhere on the internet that you should remove all personal data from your router if returning it...is that true? I didn't think a router was capable of holding data, just transfering it.
Please advise me!!!

1. Misc
  2. Router
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Router
13 Comments

Some can have log files.
What about your network access name and password (ADSL)

Theres usualy a factory reset button.

Do a factory reset and all data will be wiped.

stora;1436163

What about your network access name and password (ADSL)

Thats what I would have thought. Delete that info before sending it back.

Original Poster

Probably should have added I'm going thru virgin cable modem, how do i do a factory reset?

cycleman;1436193

Probably should have added I'm going thru virgin cable modem, how do i do … Probably should have added I'm going thru virgin cable modem, how do i do a factory reset?

Thought you said router. :thinking:

No your Cable Modem does not hold any data.

Original Poster

Yes I did say router, my virgin broadband runs thru the router

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/isp/isp126/businessman-banging-his-head-against-the-wall-~-ispc026073.jpg

Don't know your router model but I think most routers have a recessed button on the back. Use a paperclip or similar to push it in and hold for a few seconds to reset.

Original Poster

stora;1436312

mmmm........ can't see I can make it much clearer....

Original Poster

yipykayay;1436330

Don't know your router model but I think most routers have a recessed … Don't know your router model but I think most routers have a recessed button on the back. Use a paperclip or similar to push it in and hold for a few seconds to reset.

Thanks yipykayay, just seen it that will clear everything will it?

cycleman;1436364

Thanks yipykayay, just seen it that will clear everything will it?

Yes, so make sure you have a note of all your settings before you touch it:thumbsup:

cycleman;1436252

Yes I did say router, my virgin broadband runs thru the router

You're fine, I understood what you meant - if you had a combined ADSL modem/router then it would have your adsl login and password. However as your router is separate to the cable modem then there are no login details there, you should be fine although it's probably worth doing a factory reset anyway as it only takes a matter of seconds.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;1436568

You're fine, I understood what you meant - if you had a combined ADSL … You're fine, I understood what you meant - if you had a combined ADSL modem/router then it would have your adsl login and password. However as your router is separate to the cable modem then there are no login details there, you should be fine although it's probably worth doing a factory reset anyway as it only takes a matter of seconds.John

Cheers John, spent 1/2 hour on Belkins helpline today, after going thru every possible check under the sun they eventually conceded must be a faulty router, just wanted to make sure none of my info was on it before returning...
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Christmas presents510
    2. Mobile phone advice33
    3. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?55
    4. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?23

See more discussions