Router for Mobile phone SIM card?

Posted 14th Feb
Hi. I am looking to get a router which can take non data SIM card as I’ve got unlimited data on my mobile phone plan and I want to use this sim as the main internet for the house. I’ve seen a few routers on AliExpress but not sure which one is good or is actually fit for my purpose:).
Which one will do the job properly please?
Any help will be much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Also interested in the exact same product - will be used for a lot of online gaming/streaming
Any old battered but functional same-carrier or optionally unlocked Android 4G smartphone (£10?) USB-tethered to £15 standard Asus dual wifi router with gigabit ethernet ports etc.
MO at: hotukdeals.com/com…674
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 22:39

Any old battered but functional same-carrier or optionally unlocked …Any old battered but functional same-carrier or optionally unlocked Android 4G smartphone (£10?) USB-tethered to £15 standard Asus dual wifi router with gigabit ethernet ports etc. MO at: https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37786674

That combo thing too, I guess?, lol.
amour3k14/02/2020 22:26

Is this good, for either of you …Is this good, for either of you two:https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/broadband/mobile-broadband/vodafone-r218h-pay-monthly-4g-mifi-10169686-pdt.html

Thanks for replying.
I think this will probably be network locked and work with data sim only:(.
AndyRoyd14/02/2020 22:39

Any old battered but functional same-carrier or optionally unlocked …Any old battered but functional same-carrier or optionally unlocked Android 4G smartphone (£10?) USB-tethered to £15 standard Asus dual wifi router with gigabit ethernet ports etc. MO at: https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/37786674

Thanks mate. I’ll give it a go.
ktbffh15/02/2020 08:12

Thanks for replying.I think this will probably be network locked and work …Thanks for replying.I think this will probably be network locked and work with data sim only:(.

What do you mean work with data sim only and network locked? You can contact the provider and ask for it to be unlocked and aslong as you put the correct sim in should work as a hotspot?
Go for the Huawei B525 4G modem/router. Excellent device. Amazon has it reasonably priced.
Will you be taking the SIM out your phone when you get home every day?

The cheapest thing to do is tether the phone / WiFi hot spot but it might not be good enough for a full household.

What's quite important is how many people are in the house and if you have a router already that can be utilised. This depends a lot of your location too, no point in investing if you can't get good enough speeds for it to replace the home wired Internet.

TP-Link TL-MR3020 V3 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router amazon.co.uk/dp/…MNT

These are quite good and then you can buy a usb 4g single and plug it in. Then plug the ethernet into the port of a normal router.

If you live in an area with good speeds the below is a great one:

#Aliexpress £89.84 30%OFF | Unlock HUAWEI E5885Ls-93a cat6 mobile WIFI PRO2 with 6400mah Power Bank Battery and One RJ45 LAN Ethernet Port E5885 Router
a.aliexpress.com/_UE9pN
Edited by: "mogsog" 15th Feb
mogsog15/02/2020 13:36

Will you be taking the SIM out your phone when you get home every day?The …Will you be taking the SIM out your phone when you get home every day?The cheapest thing to do is tether the phone / WiFi hot spot but it might not be good enough for a full household. What's quite important is how many people are in the house and if you have a router already that can be utilised. This depends a lot of your location too, no point in investing if you can't get good enough speeds for it to replace the home wired Internet. TP-Link TL-MR3020 V3 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078GXZJHP/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_2s.rEbS42SMNTThese are quite good and then you can buy a usb 4g single and plug it in. Then plug the ethernet into the port of a normal router.If you live in an area with good speeds the below is a great one:#Aliexpress £89.84 30%OFF | Unlock HUAWEI E5885Ls-93a cat6 mobile WIFI PRO2 with 6400mah Power Bank Battery and One RJ45 LAN Ethernet Port E5885 Routerhttps://a.aliexpress.com/_UE9pN

No - going to purchase a separate sim from personal phone with unlimited data, and use this in a router?
Chipps15/02/2020 14:37

No - going to purchase a separate sim from personal phone with unlimited …No - going to purchase a separate sim from personal phone with unlimited data, and use this in a router?

A SIM with data and a call plan is not seen any differently to a SIM with just data in these devices. Have you made sure you're allowed to tether on the unlimited data plan?
mogsog15/02/2020 14:47

A SIM with data and a call plan is not seen any differently to a SIM with …A SIM with data and a call plan is not seen any differently to a SIM with just data in these devices. Have you made sure you're allowed to tether on the unlimited data plan?

All consumer comms providers' tethering restrictions were removed under instruction from OFCOM ages ago.
AndyRoyd15/02/2020 15:36

All consumer comms providers' tethering restrictions were removed under …All consumer comms providers' tethering restrictions were removed under instruction from OFCOM ages ago.

Awesome news - can’t be bothered with the faff of having to swap sims around constantly. Have a EE mini box and was going to bang a smarty sim into it, but not sure if the EE box will be good enough
Chipps15/02/2020 16:20

Awesome news - can’t be bothered with the faff of having to swap sims a …Awesome news - can’t be bothered with the faff of having to swap sims around constantly. Have a EE mini box and was going to bang a smarty sim into it, but not sure if the EE box will be good enough

Kinda old news but yes most consumers welcomed the removal of tethering / traffic management restrictions (based on EU Net Neutrality requirements).
Note that cellular data may not be ideal for your indicated gaming use due to latency being poorer compared to wired fibre options.
mogsog15/02/2020 14:47

A SIM with data and a call plan is not seen any differently to a SIM with …A SIM with data and a call plan is not seen any differently to a SIM with just data in these devices. Have you made sure you're allowed to tether on the unlimited data plan?

I’m certain this is not true. If a device is for data sim only then a normal sim won’t work.
ChrisKaru15/02/2020 10:26

Go for the Huawei B525 4G modem/router. Excellent device. Amazon has it …Go for the Huawei B525 4G modem/router. Excellent device. Amazon has it reasonably priced.

This it s brilliant. Thanks very much.
ktbffh15/02/2020 18:39

I’m certain this is not true. If a device is for data sim only then a n …I’m certain this is not true. If a device is for data sim only then a normal sim won’t work.

I'm only going off experience, maybe others can help. If that is the case then using a mobile and tethering might be the better option.
ktbffh15/02/2020 18:39

I’m certain this is not true. If a device is for data sim only then a n …I’m certain this is not true. If a device is for data sim only then a normal sim won’t work.

I can configure most if my routers to use old skool data-exclusuve APN or voice-SIM APN and the only noticeable difference on data access was the application of the provider's adult content block.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants