Router for virgin media

Posted 3rd Nov
Looking for a router to replace the dismal superhub 3 provided by VM to use for the 500mb service. I have just sent back orbi rbk50 as the first one I had of those kept dropping its speed, amazon replaced it but the replacement could not activate the armor trial, as netgear support was terrible I went for a refund.
I have been looking at the asus 86u which seems to have a good recommendation on here, but on Googleing it seems to highlight as issue with the WiFi failing and seems a common issue.
Put the superhub back into router mode tonight and removed the orbi but forgot how bad it was. Around the router I can hit 450mb but go upstairs and I loose everything, I found splitting the bands helped lot with the speed as some devices where dropping onto the 2.4ghz band. It's annoying as the house is only a small 1930s semi. Also whilst testing this evening I noticed that if you put the router in the middle of the house you get no service behind the router at all.
Just want to get this sorted once and for all but really can't decide what to do. Was tempted to jump on Google WiFi but I have read the speeds are slower than competion and ideally I would like a single router as one issue I noticed with orbi as devices where reluctant to roam and put up with slow speeds.

Appreciate any help and guidance any one can give.

Cheers

Ste.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
UniFi Gateway + UniFi Access points of your choosing.
'Dismal' is an understatement
I have google home WiFi on vm350. Works great.
cmdr_elito03/11/2019 21:26

I have google home WiFi on vm350. Works great.

Orbi and bt home discs where susspose to be great, part of me wonders if I have some sort of interfence but can't work it out, can hardly see any other networks even though the house is on a housing estate (was at my sisters at the weekend and had to scroll through the list of hotpots there was that many so the WiFi signal defo seems to be an issue. Have a substation behind the house so not sure if that's giving of something.
With the superhub your hitting speed test at 200mbps then suddenly nothing.
If I bought a new router, is it easy to set up? Plug and play?
stethorn03/11/2019 21:34

Orbi and bt home discs where susspose to be great, part of me wonders if I …Orbi and bt home discs where susspose to be great, part of me wonders if I have some sort of interfence but can't work it out, can hardly see any other networks even though the house is on a housing estate (was at my sisters at the weekend and had to scroll through the list of hotpots there was that many so the WiFi signal defo seems to be an issue. Have a substation behind the house so not sure if that's giving of something.With the superhub your hitting speed test at 200mbps then suddenly nothing.

Call the, up and see if you can get someone to come out ask for second level support not the first ones. We had issues when we got ours installed third guy came out and solved the issue with the box at the front of our estate all of the estate has issues and it was never fixed. We get 220 speeds all day long now.

it could be the substation though, if that’s the case look for a new house
eslick03/11/2019 22:28

Call the, up and see if you can get someone to come out ask for second …Call the, up and see if you can get someone to come out ask for second level support not the first ones. We had issues when we got ours installed third guy came out and solved the issue with the box at the front of our estate all of the estate has issues and it was never fixed. We get 220 speeds all day long now.it could be the substation though, if that’s the case look for a new house

Speed it's self is fine it's just the WiFi thats the issue.
Just an update ordered this amazon.co.uk/D-L…-46

Bit worried about the lack of reviews and the fact that it’s only a 3x3 router but it’s tri band. Killer feature for me was the Alexa control, you simply tell the Alexa to pause a certain device great of a morning when the kids won’t get ready.
38903955-RNcZn.jpg
Picked this up today , got good reviews but on the pricey side. Unfortunately every time I put my SH3 into modem mode and try to connect router it just freezes and nothing happens. Million hard resets later minus router and it’s back on. Connected my BT whole home Wi-Fi discs back up for now. Weirdly every time I phone about it there’s always a convenient fault in the area too :/
kappaz18704/11/2019 22:13

[Image] Picked this up today , got good reviews but on the pricey side. …[Image] Picked this up today , got good reviews but on the pricey side. Unfortunately every time I put my SH3 into modem mode and try to connect router it just freezes and nothing happens. Million hard resets later minus router and it’s back on. Connected my BT whole home Wi-Fi discs back up for now. Weirdly every time I phone about it there’s always a convenient fault in the area too :/

What about if you just feed it a connection whilst your router is router mode, don’t run it that way but good to see if it works. Also try a different network cable to see if that fixes the issue.
stethorn04/11/2019 22:16

What about if you just feed it a connection whilst your router is router …What about if you just feed it a connection whilst your router is router mode, don’t run it that way but good to see if it works. Also try a different network cable to see if that fixes the issue.

Morning, used the network cable that came with the router (cat 6). Didn’t try it whilst SH3 was in router mode so will give that a go, thanks.
kappaz18705/11/2019 08:34

Morning, used the network cable that came with the router (cat 6). Didn’t t …Morning, used the network cable that came with the router (cat 6). Didn’t try it whilst SH3 was in router mode so will give that a go, thanks.

Internet’s down in the area surprise surprise! However the router showed all lights inc internet when plugged in so don’t think it’s the router it is the SH3.
All routers are normally set between channel 6 and 11 by default, if it’s possible set your channel to 12, that will tell you if it’s interference from neighbours WiFi signals , if not it’s defo the substation
eafer.armstrong12/11/2019 21:39

All routers are normally set between channel 6 and 11 by default, if it’s p …All routers are normally set between channel 6 and 11 by default, if it’s possible set your channel to 12, that will tell you if it’s interference from neighbours WiFi signals , if not it’s defo the substation

Got it a bit better now, its a old house and was thinking the other night if in the 80 years the house has standing how much lead paint has been used. Plaster is all shot and need to get around to doing it, all the walls where painted in horrible paint when I got the house.
TP-Link Archer C2300 got good reviews on TomsHardware.
deleted2172605
Edgerouter + BT whole home wifi.

Full 350mbit in every room of the house and reasonable speed in the garden too. The edgerouter cost £50 and the BT discs are often on sale.
deleted2172605
eafer.armstrong12/11/2019 21:39

All routers are normally set between channel 6 and 11 by default, if it’s p …All routers are normally set between channel 6 and 11 by default, if it’s possible set your channel to 12, that will tell you if it’s interference from neighbours WiFi signals , if not it’s defo the substation

Better to install wifi analyser on your phone and see what channels are in use and pick one that isn't. I thought most routers were set to "auto".
deleted217260513/11/2019 00:46

Edgerouter + BT whole home wifi. Full 350mbit in every room of the house …Edgerouter + BT whole home wifi. Full 350mbit in every room of the house and reasonable speed in the garden too. The edgerouter cost £50 and the BT discs are often on sale.

Tried bt discs connected to the vm router and one disc could only manage 50 mbit, all the discs kept randomly rebooting aswell.
deleted217260513/11/2019 00:47

Better to install wifi analyser on your phone and see what channels are in …Better to install wifi analyser on your phone and see what channels are in use and pick one that isn't. I thought most routers were set to "auto".

Correct, but that auto setting doesn’t go outside of 6-11, I have the VM cabinet for the area in front of my house, every time there’s an engineer there I go and have a chat to see what info I can glean. Apparently most street cabinets are over subscribed and need replaced to allow more users/volume. This can also be the reason some areas have dismal service...
deleted2172605
stethorn13/11/2019 06:36

Tried bt discs connected to the vm router and one disc could only manage …Tried bt discs connected to the vm router and one disc could only manage 50 mbit, all the discs kept randomly rebooting aswell.

thats really odd, although the earlier ones did suffer from firmware issues. When I got mine, first thing I did was flash them all. I also hooked them all up by ethernet no wifi mesh and i can easily max out my 350mbit on the wifi
deleted217260513/11/2019 10:22

thats really odd, although the earlier ones did suffer from firmware …thats really odd, although the earlier ones did suffer from firmware issues. When I got mine, first thing I did was flash them all. I also hooked them all up by ethernet no wifi mesh and i can easily max out my 350mbit on the wifi

How did you flash it?
deleted2172605
eafer.armstrong15/11/2019 15:06

How did you flash it?

go to the IP address of one of the discs, and it's there in the menu

38995951-ilTQq.jpg
deleted217260515/11/2019 16:29

go to the IP address of one of the discs, and it's there in the menu …go to the IP address of one of the discs, and it's there in the menu [Image]

Nice one, didn’t see that tab, turned my SH3 to modem only and installed an ASUS ac51u I got off eBay yesterday, far, far better signal and dual mode too, how could virgin get it so wrong??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants