Groups
    EXPIRED

Router, i dont know what im looking for!

Im quite an un-technical person, but im looking for a router to make my laptop properly wireless.

Not sure what i need to look for, called into my local pc shop - he has one for £40, sure theres cheaper elsewhere to be had.

Im on NTL, any help much appreciated!

19 Comments

Anything with no built-in ADSL modem will work for you. Such as this one.

Original Poster

Many thanks kommunist, always appreciated when helped out

I am guessing you are on cable so linksys routers are usually best for cable connections. Otherwise go for D-Link equipment, both Linksys and D-Link are companys of CISCO which are regarded as the dogs ******** of professional networking. You could compare Cisco in the networking market to Microsoft in the Operating Systems market.

the.capt

You could compare Cisco in the networking market to Microsoft in the … You could compare Cisco in the networking market to Microsoft in the Operating Systems market.

Thats not really giving me any confidence what-so-ever !

Original Poster

Yep im on cable, now known as NTL

Original Poster

currychops

Also a suitable wireless router at this … Also a suitable wireless router at this linkhttp://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=3551&CategoryID=99&SubCategoryID=207

Thanks alot

Er... since when DLink is part of Cisco? Linksys is but DLink?
    Also, their latest incarnation of WRT54G series is simply rubbish unless using unofficial firmware (which I don't think Joshanna will do :)).

Original Poster

Kommunist

Er... since when DLink is part of Cisco? Linksys is but DLink?Also, their … Er... since when DLink is part of Cisco? Linksys is but DLink?Also, their latest incarnation of WRT54G series is simply rubbish unless using unofficial firmware (which I don't think Joshanna will do :)).

Im not very techincal so wouldnt have a clue what unoffical firmware is anyway :giggle:

Joshanna

Im not very techincal so wouldnt have a clue what unoffical firmware is … Im not very techincal so wouldnt have a clue what unoffical firmware is anyway :giggle:

There was tech discussion on this forum on how to bring Linksys WRT54G v5 (and later) to life Basically, you need to get rid of VxWorks firmware and install Linux-based one. If you don't understand the above, don't worry

Linksys is my ISP :thumbsup:

Joshanna

Im quite an un-technical person, but im looking for a router to make my … Im quite an un-technical person, but im looking for a router to make my laptop properly wireless.Not sure what i need to look for, called into my local pc shop - he has one for £40, sure theres cheaper elsewhere to be had.Im on NTL, any help much appreciated!

you can buy wireless power these days to make ur laptop TOTALY wireless......]HERE

Original Poster

big_anth

you can buy wireless power these days to make ur laptop TOTALY … you can buy wireless power these days to make ur laptop TOTALY wireless......]HERE

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

by the way.....

i was kidden hope i didnt offend any 1

would be a good invention tho

Joshanna, you might be going to Staples soon!

my Linksys WRT54GS version 5.1 has just stopped working for no good reason...so I'm in the middle of " e-mailing " their tech support but I'm not holding my breath....

I've only had it a couple of months so it is either a) a load of sh*t or b) a one off once in a million malfunction (hmmm...)

So anyways I want my wireless network back up and running and need a cheap but highly capable broadband router that will last longer than a couple of months......

so there :-(

So - no Netgear fans then ??

I did a review of their MP101 music streamer and also the WGR614 wireless router, excellent, no problems in 4 years use.

I guess that brand doesn't mean much. Some Linksys products are excellent, some complete rubbish. Same is with D-Link/Netgear/whatever.
    For example, I never been big fan of D-Link after using one of their routers (can't recall model number) and realizing that they are only using 256 entries NAT table.
    However, I do like DLink DSM-320 streamer. Maybe that's because it is not DLink product as it is made by Redsonic?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553752
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767179
      3. Toys R Us may soon be Toys No More - USA possibly filing for Bankruptcy2628
      4. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1952

See more discussions