Router Internet speed download question

5 replies
Found 3rd Feb 2010
Hello,

I have a problem, when i connect to my router via wireless, I get 400-450kbs download rate (max possible) for the ISP I have.

When I connect it via Cat5, my port 1 has max download rate, however port 2 has significantly lower..

What could be the problem?

Thanks for input..!

5 Comments

when you say port 1 and port 2 - what ports are you talking about ? Ports on the computer or on the router or something else?

Original Poster

Sorry i meant ports on the router.

Your router might have QoS (quality of service) rules which make the first port have a higher priority than the second, (although it tends to be the more expensive equipment that has this) but it should make a difference if nothing is in the first port. If you don't have any settings that are important to you to keep on the router you could try resetting it to its default?

Original Poster

Tdrtnlz;7742525

Your router might have QoS (quality of service) rules which make the … Your router might have QoS (quality of service) rules which make the first port have a higher priority than the second, (although it tends to be the more expensive equipment that has this) but it should make a difference if nothing is in the first port. If you don't have any settings that are important to you to keep on the router you could try resetting it to its default?

Lol mine came free with BE, thompson router....... but i'll have a look at the router settings anyhoo thanks!

Other than that is might there be something stupid that i've done to make this happen? :thinking:

Are you using the same cable in both ports? Does the 2nd port have anything on it like a different font or different colour writing which might indicate it's not the same as the first one? Does your operating system recognise the internet connection as the same connection when it is plugged in to both ports or does it think they are different?

The only thing I can think of really is that there is some sort of software prioritisation of ports slowing it down, or that it was simply an anomaly.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247552
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983225
    3. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1115
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769183

See more discussions