Groups

Router Recomendation to replace BT Smart Hub 6

Hi All,. I am looking at leaving BT to go with EE and a good bundle I’ve been offered. By BT Smart Hub 6 has been the best ISP provided router I've had with regards to data speed and range. So much so I have been able to (at a push) unplug Wi-Fi extenders (which came with their own problems)

I know EE's standard Brightbox 2 won’t be up to the same level. So I need to invest in a new router for EE as the BT Smarthub only works with BT. I am looking for quality to the same range and speed or better. Particularly extra speed over the network of 5Hz channels would be a plus. I'm totally confused now after a day of looking at spec's and trying to understand it all. Could anyone recommend a good choice for under £150?

Thanks in advance

24 Comments

Are you saving over the £150 (you are going to spend) by going to EE? Otherwise just stay with the Smarthub with BT.

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2013/07/13/14/02/umberlla-161997__480.png

BT EE PLUSNET
    Edited by: "getmeone" 16th Mar

Original Poster

robertr

Are you saving over the £150 (you are going to spend) by going to EE? … Are you saving over the £150 (you are going to spend) by going to EE? Otherwise just stay with the Smarthub with BT.

with a tv, fibre, landline and mobile phone deal provided by retensions, Unfortuantely I need to be with EE Broadband for EE TV.

Original Poster

getmeone

BT EE PLUSNET

I understand BT, plusnet and EE share broadband, and mobile internet. But unfortunately their hardware is no interchangable i.e. BT smart hub only works with BT. EE TV only works with EE broadband.

Edited by: "davidmaiden18183" 16th Mar

Although I don't know the answer I am interested in the responses. I am with BT but have Homehub 5 so is the 6 so much better? Are you selling your HH6 by any chance?

Asus DSL-AC68U

Or the much more expensive netgear d8500

Original Poster

Middlers

Although I don't know the answer I am interested in the responses. I am … Although I don't know the answer I am interested in the responses. I am with BT but have Homehub 5 so is the 6 so much better? Are you selling your HH6 by any chance?

I will be looking to sell the HH6 it’s only been in use since Christmas. It’s definitely a marked improvement and considered the best router provided by UK ISPs. Range is improved and we can just about get away without needed are wifi extender (which was a pain as if you walked from once side of the house to the other it would switch between extender and router and disconnect wifi calls, facetime etc).
    I can stream HD video stored on a network attached hard drive at a higher bitrate and they open quicker as the speed is improved. There are plenty of reviews online and recommend it as a worthwhile upgrade from the BT Hub 5 for those that care, or have range, reliability or speed demands.
    Edited by: "davidmaiden18183" 16th Mar

Just done this myself. Am using the homehub 5 as an access point having turned off the wifi on the brightbox2 following these instructions
    Works ok, although yet to check speeds, with the added bonus that I didn't have to change the wifi settings on anything.

Original Poster

gadger100

Asus DSL-AC68U

The smart hub is:-
    Rating AC 2600
    Data transfer speed Up to 1733 Mbps

Asus DSL-AC68U is:-
    Rating AC 1900
    Data transfer speed Up to 1300 Mbps

So I presume performance regards to speed would be poorer, thats something i don want to go back on now I have lived with the faster transfer speeds.

Original Poster

gadger100

Or the much more expensive netgear d8500

Spot price of over £400 on Amazon. Think that is over my budget thanks

Middlers

Although I don't know the answer I am interested in the responses. I am … Although I don't know the answer I am interested in the responses. I am with BT but have Homehub 5 so is the 6 so much better? Are you selling your HH6 by any chance?

For me the answer was yes, I'd had a number of homehub 5 replacements but still had problems with wireless connection (even after splitting SSID and turning off smart set-up). As soon as I purchased the smarthub it resolved all my issues and I now have a strong Wi-Fi connection in every room in my house.

Original Poster

jrs589

Just done this myself. Am using the homehub 5 as an access point having … Just done this myself. Am using the homehub 5 as an access point having turned off the wifi on the brightbox2 following these instructionsWorks ok, although yet to check speeds, with the added bonus that I didn't have to change the wifi settings on anything.

Hmm, intriguing. Wonder if the throughput would be affected. Assume all the the ethernet cables would go to the brightbox not the BT Hub

davidmaiden18183

I will be looking to sell the HH6 it’s only been in use since Christmas. I … I will be looking to sell the HH6 it’s only been in use since Christmas. It’s definitely a marked improvement and considered the best router provided by UK ISPs. Range is improved and we can just about get away without needed are wifi extender (which was a pain as if you walked from once side of the house to the other it would switch between extender and router and disconnect wifi calls, facetime etc).I can stream HD video stored on a network attached hard drive at a higher bitrate and they open quicker as the speed is improved. There are plenty of reviews online and recommend it as a worthwhile upgrade from the BT Hub 5 for those that care, or have range, reliability or speed demands.

Did you buy the smarthub outright? If so, then it is yours to do what you want with. If you got it 'free' as part of a re-contract or a deal then the smarthub will have a contract attached to it, and if you leave BT within that contract period, they will charge you full price for the smarthub unless you return it.

Edited by: "robertr" 16th Mar

Original Poster

robertr

Did you buy the smarthub outright? If so, then it is yours to do what you … Did you buy the smarthub outright? If so, then it is yours to do what you want with. If you got it 'free' as part of a re-contract or a deal then the smarthub will have a contract attached to it, and if you leave BT within that contract period, they will charge you full price for the smarthub unless you return it.

I own it. Just not sure I understand its use as an access point to understand if introducing an access point and switching the wifi on the brightbox would affect the speed

davidmaiden18183

Hmm, intriguing. Wonder if the throughput would be affected. Assume all … Hmm, intriguing. Wonder if the throughput would be affected. Assume all the the ethernet cables would go to the brightbox not the BT Hub

Not sure on the throughput. I've mixed and matched the cables at the mo I've plugged the home hub into the one gb port on the Brightbox then anything not requiring a speedy connection (hive) I've plugged into the brightbox and anything else, powerline and pc, into the homehubs gb ports on the basis that they may still give out more than the 100mb ports on the brightbox. Quite happy to be told that's daft though.

davidmaiden18183

The smart hub is:-Rating AC 2600Data transfer speed Up to 1733 MbpsAsus … The smart hub is:-Rating AC 2600Data transfer speed Up to 1733 MbpsAsus DSL-AC68U is:-Rating AC 1900Data transfer speed Up to 1300 MbpsSo I presume performance regards to speed would be poorer, thats something i don want to go back on now I have lived with the faster transfer speeds.

​True but I guarantee you that the Asus will run at a faster speed than your preset router..

I've done exactly this with my sh#? Virgin router.
    set it up as a modem and the the BT router to broadcast.

now I have decent WIFI.......yippee

I've done exactly this with my sh#? Virgin router.
    set it up as a modem and the the BT router to broadcast.

now I have decent WIFI.......yippee

Original Poster

northbank1886

I've done exactly this with my sh#? Virgin router.set it up as a modem … I've done exactly this with my sh#? Virgin router.set it up as a modem and the the BT router to broadcast.now I have decent WIFI.......yippee

Thanks. Can you or anyone detail where the devices should connect to i.e. the virgin/ee router providing the internet or the BT access point?

Assume it would be to plug the bt hub into the one gigabit Ethernet port of the EE brightbox for a start?

The Brightbox plugs into the wall then, as you say, I've connected the gigabit port from that to one of the gigabit ports on the home hub. Having already changed the dhcp range on the brightbox (reducing the max to 192.168.1.253 so as not to include the home hub) and turned the wifi off, then turned dhcp off on the homehub.

gadger100

​True but I guarantee you that the Asus will run at a faster speed than y … ​True but I guarantee you that the Asus will run at a faster speed than your preset router..

HH6 isn't bad and does perform well

jrs589

The Brightbox plugs into the wall then, as you say, I've connected the … The Brightbox plugs into the wall then, as you say, I've connected the gigabit port from that to one of the gigabit ports on the home hub. Having already changed the dhcp range on the brightbox (reducing the max to 192.168.1.253 so as not to include the home hub) and turned the wifi off, then turned dhcp off on the homehub.

+1

Original Poster

northbank1886

+1

That. It seems logical, it's all the rest of the devices I will see about. Should they go in th me ant hub access point, but I assume that will throttle the capability of the single gigabit connection back to the EE router. Or do I or can I even attaché them to the EE router, does it matter which ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions