Router recommendations

Found 20th Nov 2017
Got John Lewis fibre broadband installed (repackaged plusnet basically) with their standard router/modem. My house is a funny shape and the WiFi signal isn’t great all over. I’ve tried Home plugs but whilst these are good at getting a wired signal upstairs, I’ve not had much luck with extending the WiFi range - basically it doesn’t seem to reliably extend and devices then switch back and forth between the extended network and the old one they can faintly pick up from downstairs.

Anyway, was looking at buying a new router and just using the JL one as a modem. How difficult is it to get it to work just as a modem and any recommendations about which one?

Was thinking £100-200 range if I can get an amazon warehouse deal.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

I use Apple Extreme and have my BT supplied router as an access point. It works throughout my stone barn (4ft thick walls) and into my garden/fields to about 300 yards.

It should be easy to do.

You can get wifi home plug things (don't know what they are called) but I don't think they will be as strong as a secondary access point.

Original Poster

Thanks - home plugs have helped with a wired connection to my pc but not wireless. How flexible is the Extreme to fiddle with settings ie port forwarding/opening?

I was looking at the Asus RT-AC88U or similar...

I use asus dsl n66u as a single box solution for my fibre

if homeplugs are good to get wired signal - have you tried something like TP link WPA 4220 - this is homeplug with built in wifi - you can configure it to have the same network name as your router and hence you will see a single network throughout the house. Devices also switch automatically to whichever signal is the strongest.

How about a 'mesh' wifi system, there have been umpteen posts for them over the last week.

Original Poster

astreix1 h, 15 m ago

if homeplugs are good to get wired signal - have you tried something like …if homeplugs are good to get wired signal - have you tried something like TP link WPA 4220 - this is homeplug with built in wifi - you can configure it to have the same network name as your router and hence you will see a single network throughout the house. Devices also switch automatically to whichever signal is the strongest.

Thanks - I have TP ones with WiFi - for some reason they offer an okish wired connection (but guess that’s down to my house wiring) and an awful WiFi extension, my devices see two networks and try to switch back and forth. They also drop signal a lot and I have to turn them off and on again to reconnect.
Edited by: "bluep" 20th Nov 2017

Original Poster

paulj4857 m ago

How about a 'mesh' wifi system, there have been umpteen posts for them …How about a 'mesh' wifi system, there have been umpteen posts for them over the last week.

Thanks - will have to have a read up on these....

You can pick up a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 in Amazon Warehouse for £96.71 with the 20% off - bargain! If you prefer to go down the all in one option, they have the D7800 (basically an R7800 with built in modem) for £146.09 with the 20% off.

BT Whole Home WiFi Twin Pack - £99.99 @ Argos

or

Whole Home Wi-Fi (3 Disc) + Google Home Mini + 1 month of Google Play Music + Free Delivery - £189 @ BT Shop

Simply turn the WiFi of your Plusnet router off, plug one BT Whole Home WiFi thingy into your router and place the 2nd one into the remote location, but still in range of the 1st one (light on front of 2nd disc will tell you if the location is good or bad). You can expand this 'mesh network' further later on if desired by simply buying more of the BT Whole Home Wifi discs.

It's an awesome system and unlike the wireless repeaters of old actually works in my experience.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 20th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text