Router Upgrade Advice Needed

Posted 29th Jan
Hey,
I’m currently with plusnet super duper fast fiber. The router they provide is terrible, my signal on all devices next door to the office where I keep the router keeps cutting out. So it’s evidently an issue with the router. Don’t mind spending up to £100 for a router that will do a damn better job than this stupid plus net one. Thanks in advance guys
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Get an Unifi AC Pro Accesspoint, problem solved
If you can use the route on Modem only mode then try a Tenda AC6 or 7 . Mine gives me a signal all around the house , including a 2 storey extension where it has to pass through the oringinal house walls.
Is this the plusnet hub one 5ghz wifi issue:- ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml

community.plus.net/t5/…363

Not a bad router with Openwrt on it, and the original BT hub5a firmware worked fine too, surprised sagem haven't fixed the firmware by now.

I believe some pussnet users resorted to buying BT smart hub 6 off ebay, where they can be had from as little as £5. They're locked to BT owned ISPs only (including plusnet of course) so only worth considering if dead cheap.
Hi
I use Netgear nighthawk

You can use out of box setup or put DDWRT on it.. works a magic.. never been dissapointed.
melted29/01/2020 13:03

Is this the plusnet hub one 5ghz wifi issue:- …Is this the plusnet hub one 5ghz wifi issue:- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-one-router.htmlhttps://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363Not a bad router with Openwrt on it, and the original BT hub5a firmware worked fine too, surprised sagem haven't fixed the firmware by now.I believe some pussnet users resorted to buying BT smart hub 6 off ebay, where they can be had from as little as £5. They're locked to BT owned ISPs only (including plusnet of course) so only worth considering if dead cheap.

Careful putting OpenWRT onto a router when you have a fibre connection. On lots of routers, OpenWRT won't support the hardware NAT acceleration meaning the router maxes out its CPU through normal fibre traffic.

On an AC68u with OpenWRT I was getting 20mb download speeds on my fibre connection compared to 70mb using the Virgin hub.
Edited by: "abigsmurf" 29th Jan
abigsmurf29/01/2020 13:48

Careful putting OpenWRT onto a router when you have a fibre connection. On …Careful putting OpenWRT onto a router when you have a fibre connection. On lots of routers, OpenWRT won't support the hardware NAT acceleration meaning the router maxes out its CPU through normal fibre traffic. On an AC68u with OpenWRT I was getting 20mb download speeds on my fibre connection compared to 70mb using the Virgin hub.

That's true, and on top of that, the ethernet driver for it's lantiq chipset in openwrt doesn't perform well, people report the hub5a is limited to around 50 - 70 mbps even with software flow offloading enabled. Apparently someone has completely rewritten the driver and achieved much better performance, and even added support for using it as a 5 port router, but I don't think all their fixes have made it into openwrt yet.
Edited by: "melted" 29th Jan
melted29/01/2020 13:03

Is this the plusnet hub one 5ghz wifi issue:- …Is this the plusnet hub one 5ghz wifi issue:- https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-one-router.htmlhttps://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363Not a bad router with Openwrt on it, and the original BT hub5a firmware worked fine too, surprised sagem haven't fixed the firmware by now.I believe some pussnet users resorted to buying BT smart hub 6 off ebay, where they can be had from as little as £5. They're locked to BT owned ISPs only (including plusnet of course) so only worth considering if dead cheap.

I'm using a smart hub on my plusnet connection, works great, I already had it left over from when I was with bt anyway it seems they'll be charging for non returned equipment going forwards though.
get one asus ac86u selling in amazon or in box £`135 or get asus ac68u (under 70 80 in ebay) . im using ac68u ( 86u on the way) great coverage in home and never had issue with wifi signal in home ( 3 bed victorian ) . im using virgin modem as modem mode, i guess fibre router have similar (bridge mode?).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants