Router & Wifi devices issues, would a Mesh system help?

Posted 7th Oct
I have an Asus RT-AC66U router at the moment and have added more wireless devices to our home over time. The WiFi signal doesn't reach quite far enough, so the Kitchen Chromecast hasn't had much use.

The main problem that I have at the moment, is that I can't always connect and control all of the 4 Eufy Smart Plugs. usually 3 of them will be reachable, but the 4th one (and not always the same plug) will be unreachable on the network.

I'm guessing that I might possibly have too many wireless devices for my router to manage? I don't think we have more that approx 15 or so devices.

If I were to get one if the Mesh systems and use it with my current router, would I still have the same WiFi device issues?

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
>I have an Asus RT-AC66U router at the moment and have added more wireless devices to our home over time. The WiFi signal doesn't reach quite far enough, so the Kitchen Chromecast hasn't had much use.

A whole home/mesh would help here

>The main problem that I have at the moment, is that I can't always connect and control all of the 4 Eufy Smart Plugs. usually 3 of them will be reachable, but the 4th one (and not always the same plug) will be unreachable on the network.

If its random times with random plug then its likely an issue with the plugs and/or router firmware rather than wifi signal.

>I'm guessing that I might possibly have too many wireless devices for my router to manage? I don't think we have more that approx 15 or so devices.

The AC66U is a good router, I doubt its due to the number of devices. I have over 20 incl smart devices on my shitty ISP router + bt whole home w/o any issues.
Edited by: "Myriad" 7th Oct
I wouldn't expect a fairly expensive router like that to be struggling with 15 devices, that's a typical number.

Extra access points would likely help, whether it'd help to buy mesh compatible ones so they can route through each other on demand is hard to say without knowing the layout and signal strengths in the house.
Mesh = All WiFi headaches gone in 10mins, got mine after putting it off as powerline adaptors/extenders were cheaper, but now it’s flawless.
Yes a mesh system would help although they are expensive. I have 4 google home WiFi (large detached house) covering garden and whole house.
worf20107/10/2019 17:07

Mesh = All WiFi headaches gone in 10mins, got mine after putting it off as …Mesh = All WiFi headaches gone in 10mins, got mine after putting it off as powerline adaptors/extenders were cheaper, but now it’s flawless.

Agree.
Thanks very much folks.
As an example of the problems I'm experiencing, I was just up in a bedroom that has a good wifi signal and one of the Smart Plugs was just a few feet away in the landing. My router is in the room just below the bedroom. I tried connecting to the Landing Smart Plug to alter the schedule, but I wasn't able to. I got a message telling me that the device wasn't available.
UKseagull07/10/2019 19:07

Thanks very much folks. As an example of the problems I'm experiencing, I …Thanks very much folks. As an example of the problems I'm experiencing, I was just up in a bedroom that has a good wifi signal and one of the Smart Plugs was just a few feet away in the landing. My router is in the room just below the bedroom. I tried connecting to the Landing Smart Plug to alter the schedule, but I wasn't able to. I got a message telling me that the device wasn't available.

It sounds like a range problem, ie lack of signal. With mesh you can use various units to ensure full WiFi signal in the entire house. Mine is full signal everywhere inside and full in most of garden. First unit is connected to the modem and the others connect wirelessly to the first one. BT home WiFi discs are a cheaper option than google home.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Oct
cmdr_elito07/10/2019 19:10

It sounds like a range problem, ie lack of signal. With mesh you can use …It sounds like a range problem, ie lack of signal. With mesh you can use various units to ensure full WiFi signal in the entire house. Mine is full signal everywhere inside and full in most of garden. First unit is connected to the modem and the others connect wirelessly to the first one. BT home WiFi discs are a cheaper option than google home.

Thanks again. Will it be possible for each unit to have the same SSID etc?
UKseagull07/10/2019 19:23

Yes so what you would do is put the router in modem mode and use the mesh for wifi only and they all share the same wifi ssid

You don't need to waste money on google home, you pay for the branding. Anything like Tenda MW6, BT Whole Home or Deco M5 have good feedback. I have 2 bt whole home in large 4 bed and can max out my fibre furthest room away when dl'ing steam/ps4 games
Edited by: "Myriad" 7th Oct
UKseagull07/10/2019 19:23

Yes they all have the same ssid and you can move seamlessly between units. Ie walk around the house using a tablet to watch Netflix without interruption.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Oct
Thanks again everyone, that's very much appreciated!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants