Found 14th Oct 2010
Hi
I have 2 networks in one building 192.68.1.x & 10.10.10.x
Currently these are not connected

They both need to have access to a device on 192.168.1.200. Normal traffic HTTP, FTP, Telnet, Multicast etc.

Obviously for the 192.168.1.x range this isn't an issue, bot how do I get 10.10.10.x to have access without compromising either networks security..

On 192.168.1.200 I can configure routes !

I've been told D-Link or Netgear route will work, anyone any ideas or advice on models and how to !!

Thanks for your advice..

18 Comments

you could ID the 2 subnets as VLANs on a layer 3 switch using RIP or OSPF with 192.168.1.200 as your gateway

any reason why you can't put the whole network on the same subnet?

i haven't the time to check what models of router can do this. sorry

Edited by: "Alfonse" 14th Oct 2010

Original Poster

Thanks

any reason why you can't put the whole network on the same subnet?

2 unique clients in one serviced office. Landlord wants them to share one device, but he can't join the networks.

Any simple how to's etc.. would be great

But 2 IP addresses on the shared device and it will appear on both networks. Job done.

p.s. they may as well all be in the same subnet as subnetting doesn't offer any security at all.
Edited by: "ro53ben" 14th Oct 2010

Original Poster

Unfortunately the shared device can only have one IP Address !

TomT

Unfortunately the shared device can only have one IP Address !

can you do a network diagram for us to explain, what is the share device etc

Assuming you're on a budget, but the shared device in a 3rd subnet on the same network as your internet access. Then put both customer networks each behind a domestic router. They will both have access to the shared device but neither to each other's networks.

Original Poster

Assuming you're on a budget, but the shared device in a 3rd subnet on the … Assuming you're on a budget, but the shared device in a 3rd subnet on the same network as your internet access. Then put both customer networks each behind a domestic router. They will both have access to the shared device but neither to each other's networks.

Hmm.. can you explain this a bit more ?

Thanks

you have a router for internet access, right? plug the shared device into it as well as the 2 routers from the customer networks. Job done.

Original Poster

I take it this will only work if they are both using the same router for internet access ?

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3702/captureic.png

TomT

I take it this will only work if they are both using the same router for … I take it this will only work if they are both using the same router for internet access ?

They will be using their own router for internet access and those routers will each be using the same router as their external gateway.

VLAN will only work if you have kit that supports it, you likely don't.

Original Poster

Hi
I seem to think each 'client' has there own DSL and router. So the networks are completely standalone.

Well, don't try and join them then!

What's this mysterious shared device? Why would they share it and not a network connection?

Incidentally if they run over the same switches, just on a different IP range, they are not standalone at all

ro53ben

Well, don't try and join them then!What's this mysterious shared device? … Well, don't try and join them then!What's this mysterious shared device? Why would they share it and not a network connection?Incidentally if they run over the same switches, just on a different IP range, they are not standalone at all

yeah reinforces the need for a quick diagram just to see clearly whats going on.

Banned

Get a professional in or learn to do your job properly.

Original Poster

ro53benWell, don't try and join them then!What's this mysterious shared … ro53benWell, don't try and join them then!What's this mysterious shared device? Why would they share it and not a network connection?Incidentally if they run over the same switches, just on a different IP range, they are not standalone at all

yeah reinforces the need for a quick diagram just to see clearly what's … yeah reinforces the need for a quick diagram just to see clearly what's going on.

The kit is a bespoke IP Call Manager, it can only have one IP address specified on it.

The clients have their own data networks, their own DSL & routers and don't share the switches etc.

The landlord wants them to share the CallManager, so we need it to be accessible via both networks.

Get a professional in or learn to do your job properly.

LOL

From what you have said, there's no way of doing this securely unless you purchase 2 dedicated firewalls, one for each LAN, and put the call manager in-between in a DMZ.

Not sure why 2 separate companies, with their own data connection, would want to share a VoIP system.

Original Poster

Not sure why 2 separate companies, with their own data connection, would … Not sure why 2 separate companies, with their own data connection, would want to share a VoIP system.

I agree But it's not my decision..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Charge Back From A Betting Account33
    2. Xbox 360 Games with Gold33
    3. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed440
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch11

See more discussions