Rowing machine for home use

Posted 8th Jan
Hi,

I've been thinking of getting a rowing machine to use at home. I have looked at 3 models and wanted to find out if anyone here has purchased or used any of these before?

argos.co.uk/pro…328
argos.co.uk/pro…319
argos.co.uk/pro…151

What are they like in terms of space? Do they actually take up too much space or would they be okay if you've got limited space and wanted to put them in the living room with wooden floor tiling or even in the shed? Also, would they make much noise?

Quite limited with space at the moment but would like to get one of these machines so I can start rowing. Used to have an exercise bike in the living room but that eventually got worn out so I got rid of it.

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Does it have to be new? Sure plenty will flood Gumtree next month. Nearly new/1 month old
13 Comments
Does it have to be new? Sure plenty will flood Gumtree next month. Nearly new/1 month old
I've been looking at these as well. Some fold and some just prop up on end, but none are really small.

Opinion seems to be that the magnetic ones are the quietest. The water ones are the 'best' in terms of feel.

As Gollywood says, gumtree is full of them. According to Strava most people give up on their fitness resolutions/intentions by 19th January so hang fire for a little while.

I have a bike on a trainer (volaire magnetic) but it is quite noisy - I think it must also make some high pitched noise that I dont hear because the dog hates it and barks/howls whenever I use it so I'm looking for something else to try.
Here's one that performs the same function but for a lot less

Linky
So as a rower(amateur), the 'manual' one at 74.99 I would be highly sceptical of. Looks more like a cross trainer than a true rowing machine.

The other two look more similar to what is used by rowing clubs etc and would be preferable.

The brand recommended is concept 2 but they are far more than what you've listed here.

Whatever you decide, hope you manage to stick it out. For reference, rowing on a river is SO much more fun than a machine. If you're able I highly recommend seeking out a club to join.

Oh and make sure you research online how to use the machine correctly. I know it sounds silly but I've seen far too many cross trainer people and instructors teach poor use of the machine. Learn correctly and you'll have a far better all body workout and maximise the trainer.
Gollywood08/01/2020 05:55

Does it have to be new? Sure plenty will flood Gumtree next month. …Does it have to be new? Sure plenty will flood Gumtree next month. Nearly new/1 month old

Good shout lol. Will keep an eye out just in case something pops up. Would prefer a new one though.
doncoop08/01/2020 16:14

So as a rower(amateur), the 'manual' one at 74.99 I would be highly …So as a rower(amateur), the 'manual' one at 74.99 I would be highly sceptical of. Looks more like a cross trainer than a true rowing machine.The other two look more similar to what is used by rowing clubs etc and would be preferable.The brand recommended is concept 2 but they are far more than what you've listed here.Whatever you decide, hope you manage to stick it out. For reference, rowing on a river is SO much more fun than a machine. If you're able I highly recommend seeking out a club to join.Oh and make sure you research online how to use the machine correctly. I know it sounds silly but I've seen far too many cross trainer people and instructors teach poor use of the machine. Learn correctly and you'll have a far better all body workout and maximise the trainer.

I thought the same thing about the £75 one. I'm just worried about space with the better models. How do these machines look inside and do they take up much more space than an exercise bike etc?
How tall are you? Just that I got rid of mine for a treadmill because I got short legs and it didn't feel like I was doing much pulling
splatsplatsplat08/01/2020 17:14

How tall are you? Just that I got rid of mine for a treadmill because I …How tall are you? Just that I got rid of mine for a treadmill because I got short legs and it didn't feel like I was doing much pulling

Have you tried online dating?
splatsplatsplat08/01/2020 17:14

How tall are you? Just that I got rid of mine for a treadmill because I …How tall are you? Just that I got rid of mine for a treadmill because I got short legs and it didn't feel like I was doing much pulling

5'9. Did you have one of the above rowing machines or a different make?
billmax76408/01/2020 17:10

I thought the same thing about the £75 one. I'm just worried about space …I thought the same thing about the £75 one. I'm just worried about space with the better models. How do these machines look inside and do they take up much more space than an exercise bike etc?

Rowing machines typically can be stored upright so COULD take up less space than an exercise bike. Not sure on these models though.

They will still be chunky machines though for reference.
doncoop08/01/2020 17:38

Rowing machines typically can be stored upright so COULD take up less …Rowing machines typically can be stored upright so COULD take up less space than an exercise bike. Not sure on these models though.They will still be chunky machines though for reference.

That is exactly what is putting me off purchasing one. Just in case it's too big and it doesn't fit in the living room.
billmax76408/01/2020 17:45

That is exactly what is putting me off purchasing one. Just in case it's …That is exactly what is putting me off purchasing one. Just in case it's too big and it doesn't fit in the living room.

End of the day it will never fit as you'll never want a tower or a bike in your room. As long as you use it it's worth it though.
doncoop08/01/2020 18:11

End of the day it will never fit as you'll never want a tower or a bike in …End of the day it will never fit as you'll never want a tower or a bike in your room. As long as you use it it's worth it though.

True.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions