Groups

Royal International Air Tattoo

just wondering if anyone is going this year?
    Its my first time to an airshow, taking my two kids cant wait!
    also if anyone has been do you know what times best to arrive as im imagining it will be extremley busy :-)

50 Comments

Banned

how old are your kids ?

Original Poster

3 and one and a half lol I bet they will love me for it

Banned

kassy2005;5730345

3 and one and a half lol I bet they will love me for it

get some ear defenders then for the kids.. top tip :thumbsup:

Original Poster

i have got some, iv read its very very loud

Banned

kassy2005;5730362

i have got some, iv read its very very loud

more than loud .. if the Vulcan is booked its blimin louder than a loud thing from loud land but impressive :thumbsup:

camera ?
    wet weather gear ?
    butties ?
    flask ?
    tartan rug ?

Original Poster

fabulous, im really hoping the vulcan makes an appearance.. got my camera.. got an upgrade to the pimms flight deck which includes lunch etc..
    got a blanket
    brollie
    need a flask \O/

I'll be there.

I'd advise you get there as early as possible, otherwise you'll end up sat in a queue in your car for hours.

Banned

kassy2005;5730395

fabulous, im really hoping the vulcan makes an appearance.. got my … fabulous, im really hoping the vulcan makes an appearance.. got my camera.. got an upgrade to the pimms flight deck which includes lunch etc..got a blanket brollieneed a flask \O/

digital camera ? :thumbsup:
    spare batts?
    sun hat ?
    sun glasses?
    sun cream ?

Banned

some of the stuff I saw at Fairford a few years ago http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dog_cop/fairford004.jpg[/IMG]

Banned

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dog_cop/fairford017.jpg[/IMG]

Banned

were not allowed to get too close to this baby http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dog_cop/fairford019.jpg[/IMG]

Banned

I got stuck on the main road at Fairford a few years back. I was not amused!

Only ever been to one Air Display at Biggin Hill, which was quite enjoyable. Keep promising to take the kids. Maybe one day - but living just a few miles away, we get to see the planes fly over for free!

On that note - on a flight back from the US one year, my plane actually took part in one at an airfield in Middle Wallop (sp?) The DC10 I was on, did a flyby, coming into land with gear down, before accelerating off again at the end of the runway. So if anyone was there - I was in row 23 waving at the window!

Banned

guv;5730496

I got stuck on the main road at Fairford a few years back. I was not … I got stuck on the main road at Fairford a few years back. I was not amused!Only ever been to one Air Display at Biggin Hill, which was quite enjoyable. Keep promising to take the kids. Maybe one day - but living just a few miles away, we get to see the planes fly over for free!On that note - on a flight back from the US one year, my plane actually took part in one at an airfield in Middle Wallop (sp?) The DC10 I was on, did a flyby, coming into land with gear down, before accelerating off again at the end of the runway. So if anyone was there - I was in row 23 waving at the window!

cheap skate :thumbsup:

Original Poster

WOW brilliant pics !

Original Poster

guv;5730496

I got stuck on the main road at Fairford a few years back. I was not … I got stuck on the main road at Fairford a few years back. I was not amused!Only ever been to one Air Display at Biggin Hill, which was quite enjoyable. Keep promising to take the kids. Maybe one day - but living just a few miles away, we get to see the planes fly over for free!On that note - on a flight back from the US one year, my plane actually took part in one at an airfield in Middle Wallop (sp?) The DC10 I was on, did a flyby, coming into land with gear down, before accelerating off again at the end of the runway. So if anyone was there - I was in row 23 waving at the window!

thats amazing :w00t:

Also maybe take some foldable seats. :thumbsup:

Banned

esq3585;5730783

top tip :thumbsup:

dog_cop;5730373

more than loud .. if the Vulcan is booked its blimin louder than a loud … more than loud .. if the Vulcan is booked its blimin louder than a loud thing from loud land but impressive :thumbsup:camera ? wet weather gear ?butties ?flask ? tartan rug ?

TARTAN RUG!!!!

Banned

boothy;5730856

TARTAN RUG!!!!

yes its top tip from the man of top tips D_C :thumbsup:

Original Poster

esq3585;5730783

iv upgraded to the pimms flight deck :whistling:.. so we will be given a directors chair each.. except the kids will probably pinch mine so foldable chairs is actually a great idea :thumbsup:

ooh yes sun cream, must not forget the sun cream

Banned

[QUOTE=kassy2005;5730926]iv upgraded to the pimms flight deck :whistling:.. so we will be given a directors chair each.. except the kids will probably pinch mine so foldable chairs is actually a great idea :thumbsup:

ooh yes sun cream, must not forget the sun cream[/QUOTE]

see another top tip :-D

stay away from the main roads .. will be busy as hell .... be expected to be in the queues for a while (fairford has no main roads in, all a & b roads around)

i find the best way in is come via swindon - lechlade - and in the back way to fairford, the army camp is right next to the petrol station on the lechlade to fairford road

Only ever been to one Air Display at Biggin Hill, which was quite … Only ever been to one Air Display at Biggin Hill, which was quite enjoyable. Keep promising to take the kids. Maybe one day - but living just a few miles away, we get to see the planes fly over for free!

[IMG]i194.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1247430234[/IMG]

Not bad having the blades based a few miles up the road

Banned

faevilangel;5730948

stay away from the main roads .. will be busy as hell .... be expected to … stay away from the main roads .. will be busy as hell .... be expected to be in the queues for a while (fairford has no main roads in, all a & b roads around)i find the best way in is come via swindon - lechlade - and in the back way to fairford, the army camp is right next to the petrol station on the lechlade to fairford road

I think you will find with the routes they tend to have set routes dependant on which part of the county you travel from so aids the traffic congestion

Banned

kassy2005;5730395

fabulous, im really hoping the vulcan makes an appearance.. got my … fabulous, im really hoping the vulcan makes an appearance.. got my camera.. got an upgrade to the pimms flight deck which includes lunch etc..got a blanket brollieneed a flask \O/

My neighbour is on the Vulcan team, it flew low over our house on Friday - amazing noise but it is hit and miss whether it flies or not!! It failed to make its flight at Waddington due to not having its MOT equivalent

Original Poster

omg more awesome pics
    stopping over at the premier inn Litttle Witcombe for a couple of nights to break the journey up a bit

dog_cop;5730959

I think you will find with the routes they tend to have set routes … I think you will find with the routes they tend to have set routes dependant on which part of the county you travel from so aids the traffic congestion

yeah i know, all the major roads have the signs up now :w00t: warning of quesues likely

90% of people will go down the a417 then get off at the fairford / latton junction, where as the route i said (if coming through swindon anyway) will miss the people who don't know the route i said :thumbsup:

it does help i live just outside fairford

Original Poster

goldmax;5731024

My neighbour is on the Vulcan team, it flew low over our house on Friday … My neighbour is on the Vulcan team, it flew low over our house on Friday - amazing noise but it is hit and miss whether it flies or not!! It failed to make its flight at Waddington due to not having its MOT equivalent

doh ! Been watching it on youtube.. WOW

Banned

faevilangel;5731032

yeah i know, all the major roads have the signs up now :w00t: warning of … yeah i know, all the major roads have the signs up now :w00t: warning of quesues likely :p90% of people will go down the a417 then get off at the fairford / latton junction, where as the route i said (if coming through swindon anyway) will miss the people who don't know the route i said :thumbsup:it does help i live just outside fairford

where are my free tickets then :x

Banned

dog_cop;5730526

cheap skate :thumbsup:

Yeh, what?

emasu;5730951

Not bad having the blades based a few miles up the road

LOL..... I don't live in Sheffield silly!:p

guv;5731039

LOL..... I don't live in Sheffield silly!:p

I know you don't :?

Sywell FTW :-D

The Blades calendar isn't displaying RIAT, so clearly they're not going.

dog_cop;5731038

where are my free tickets then :x

if i could get free tickets, i would be going but im working

i used to go sit outside a friends caravan at kempsford in the week building up to riat, watching the planes coming in

Banned

emasu;5731069

I know you don't :?Sywell FTW :-DThe Blades calendar isn't displaying … I know you don't :?Sywell FTW :-DThe Blades calendar isn't displaying RIAT, so clearly they're not going.

Hehe... I know you knew too!

Thank god they've changed plans to make Biggin Hill into a fully fledged International airfield for large jets. (They do still get some - but its not the problem it would have been.)

Get near the crowd line and centre of runway, you will see a couple of large orange pyramid shapes on the display line. This is where most of the displays centre, helecopters and red arrows head on etc. Take plenty of water and food as these are pricey and some large umbrellas for shelter from the sun and rain if your unlucky. Get there early and take your breakfast with you to eat in the car park. Well worth the money......

Original Poster

diamondnine;5731232

Get near the crowd line and centre of runway, you will see a couple of … Get near the crowd line and centre of runway, you will see a couple of large orange pyramid shapes on the display line. This is where most of the displays centre, helecopters and red arrows head on etc. Take plenty of water and food as these are pricey and some large umbrellas for shelter from the sun and rain if your unlucky. Get there early and take your breakfast with you to eat in the car park. Well worth the money......

actually new for this year is the Pimms flight deck which we have upgraded to.. mainly because of the tented area for the kids incase it was too hot for them :whistling:

• BBQ lunch served from 11am until 3pm
    • Local produce from Jessie Smith Butchers and
    Chesterton Farm
    • Individual director's chairs
    • Tables & umbrellas
    • Private lawn with shaded area
    • Pay bar
    • Private toilets
    dont know what sort of view or whereabouts on the line it will be though

Banned

as we are talking air shows .. felt a bit left out as I prefer civil stuff http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dog_cop/Ringway068.jpg[/IMG]

Original Poster

love it ! love anysort of plane

Was at a footy tournament in Glos at the weekend and saw the Battle of Britain Flight go over. Still an amazing sight to see. Seen them plenty of times but never get tired of looking at them.

Original Poster

bet that was a fabulous sight!

Original Poster

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/leekemp/4616_99258743984_763808984_19334-1.jpg

this is the only pic i own of a plane lol took with my camera phone.. changing the wheel of our plane last month just before flying out to the caribbean. Hopefully il get some better shots on sunday with my new canon sx10 is :oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …2921011
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp68
      3. What is there free to do in your town?914
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1117

See more discussions