Royal Mail £12.20 customs fee charge

Found 30th Apr
Hi, I ordered a Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus from AliExpress one month ago when they had and today I got a note from Royal Mail saying that I have to pay £12.20 fee for customs charge.
What should I do ? Is there a way to lower the fee ?
Can AliExpress refund me ?
Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & Customs duty over a certain value?
IamMT22 m ago

Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & …Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & Customs duty over a certain value?

Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time to time . Despite always being told "everybody knows that "
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr
rogparki12 m ago

Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time …Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time to time . Despite always being told "everybody know s that "

Agreed, I think all such deals should factor in the legitimate cost of importing a high value item. It likes posting a deal "Got a free packet of fishfingers in Tesco today by not scanning them at the self checkout."
bogdan_lm206 m ago

Royal Mail handling fee is £8, this is ridiculous.I found this, still …Royal Mail handling fee is £8, this is ridiculous.I found this, still looking for a way to make it cheaper"To reclaim the Royal Mail handling fee, you need to fill in a P58 form, which can be picked up in a Post Office or online here:royalmailemailform.datasquirt.co.uk/"

That for claims on lost or damaged international goods. Is the phone broken?

Do you really not understand that you owe HMRC the money?
20 Comments
Pay the customs charge or the parcel will be returned back to the seller.
You just been unlucky, most China post deliveries get through without a problem (unless the seller has put the right value on the customs form, they normally put something like $10.00).

No, you can't get a refund from Ali, any tax issues are down to you, I believe it says that in their T&C's.
As annoying as it is 12.20 is hardly a bank breaker just pay your dues to the uk tax system, im sure you still pay the fees even if the item is returned, i might be wrong tho
Edited by: "ding" 30th Apr
Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & Customs duty over a certain value?
I've bought before another Xiaomi phone from LightInTheBox, it came faster and didn't pay anything.
IamMT22 m ago

Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & …Were you unaware that imports from outside the EU were liable for VAT & Customs duty over a certain value?

Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time to time . Despite always being told "everybody knows that "
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr
rogparki12 m ago

Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time …Just shows my many comments on this subject are still required from time to time . Despite always being told "everybody know s that "

Agreed, I think all such deals should factor in the legitimate cost of importing a high value item. It likes posting a deal "Got a free packet of fishfingers in Tesco today by not scanning them at the self checkout."
Royal Mail handling fee is £8, this is ridiculous.

I found this, still looking for a way to make it cheaper

"To reclaim the Royal Mail handling fee, you need to fill in a P58 form, which can be picked up in a Post Office or online here:
royalmailemailform.datasquirt.co.uk/"
bogdan_lm206 m ago

Royal Mail handling fee is £8, this is ridiculous.I found this, still …Royal Mail handling fee is £8, this is ridiculous.I found this, still looking for a way to make it cheaper"To reclaim the Royal Mail handling fee, you need to fill in a P58 form, which can be picked up in a Post Office or online here:royalmailemailform.datasquirt.co.uk/"

That for claims on lost or damaged international goods. Is the phone broken?

Do you really not understand that you owe HMRC the money?
Better pay. I think only overseas student can claim back custom fee if they can prove its for personal use. But for UK resident, paying fee is their only choice. You may contact AliExpress CS for help.
It does say you are liable to any import tax's etc.
If its an expensive item its best to send a message to seller to ask them to mark it up as a gift or a certain price. If you look on ebay most Chinese sellers say they will mark it as a gift, but you live and learn.

Paying extra for fast delivery nearly always attracts import duty. Also if its DHL.
bogdan_lm201 h, 22 m ago

What’s ridiculous?
The fact your upset that you have to pay VAT on an imported item?
Or
Royal Mail actually charge a handling fee to recoup the manual effort to catch up to you, process the payment, pass it to the Tax man and also recoup the subsidy that reduces the Chinese delivery fee from there end to almost nothing?
bogdan_lm202 h, 33 m ago

Just pay up. Your ignorance isn't an excuse for tax evasion.
Xaiomi will soon be releasing a new Redmi 5 anyway, called the Xaiomi Snowballmi 1001. It comes preloaded with snowflake skins and 1001 reasons to be entitled.
Customs are cracking down on people buying in equipment from China and other places to save a few pounds by avoiding tax. You have been charged an admin fee and the duty. You have to pay it or you won’t get the parcel and it won’t be refunded as duties are the receivers responsibility. Unlucky and maybe you will think twice about doing this again.
bogdan_lm207 h, 9 m ago

I've bought before another Xiaomi phone from LightInTheBox, it came faster …I've bought before another Xiaomi phone from LightInTheBox, it came faster and didn't pay anything.

With this one, assuming that you didn't pay for their "Duty & Tax Insurance", you just got lucky and didn't have your parcel checked upon arrival in the UK. Technically, you'll have underpaid on import VAT.
bogdan_lm207 h, 8 m ago

£8 of your £12.20 will be the handling fee. The rest is VAT that you owe. You can’t avoid this and it is perfectly legal.

Outside the EU, you have to pay your VAT when your parcel enters the country if HM Revenue and Customs check the package. Yours was check this time so didn’t slip through like your previous one. Due to the carriers paying this for you to get it into their delivery systems, you are then charged their handling fees.

You still aren’t paying the full amount of VAT as it sounds like they undervalued the item too. If I was you, I’d just pay it or you could get more problems trying to reclaim your money if they send it back to the seller.
at least you will make the don't buy from china brigade on here happy
How many times have you ordered from China and not paid? You’ve been caught once. Just pay what you owe and be glad all your other purchases didn’t get charged. Think how much you haven’t paid that you should’ve done....
I got the same type of note today too, so I'll have to pay, I haven't had to pay so many times before so all in all its more than fair.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants